What's new

Gladiator on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Hi Charlie,

It's great to see you have your own space here at HTF. I used to converse with you over on the old Dreamworks Gladiator/Epic Film Talk board, so it's been awhile. I remember all of the conversations we had over there and the ton of questions that you answered for all of us (I still miss that board). It's nice to see you doing that again. It is much appreciated. I wish you the best, here at HTF.

My question for you is this: I read that Gladiator will be released on Blu-Ray in the first half of this year. Do you know when the exact date for the release is and will there be anything new as far as extras (or anything else), on the disc? Do you know if it's the theatrical version, extended version or both on Blu (I assume it's the theatrical version, but I would love to see the extended version get the Blu treatment)? Also, what projects are you working on now? I assume Ridley's "Nottingham" is on your list.

You know I love and appreciate your work, especially Gladiator (you did an awesome job with that disc) and I have been a fan of yours for quite awhile. Keep up all of the good work that you do. I am glad I got the chance to converse with you again. It's a great privilege for me.

I hope all is well with you. All the best in 2009!

Warmest Regards and Thanks,

Dara
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dara:

Where did you read this please? My surmise is that the ongoing silence regarding Dreamworks catalog BD releases has to do with ongoing legal maneuvers in connection with the winding down of the relationship between DW and Paramount.

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Hi Paul,

I am sure you probably know more about this subject than I do. I read the news on the Digital Bits site. I read it back at the beginning of December and I have not heard a thing since, so you could be right. I am not up to date on all of the logisitics of studio breakups, aquisitions or mergers.

Here is the link to the news from wwwthedigitalbits.com (all one sentence of it):

The Digital Bits Rumor Mill - Current Posts (Scroll down to 12/3/08)

I was hoping maybe Charlie had more insight into this. He may or may not, but it's worth asking.

Cheers,

Dara

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for getting back and citing the source, Dara.

Bill and Charlie are friendly and I'll give Bill the benefit of the doubt. However, a couple of comments:

Bill said "sometime in the first half of 2009," not the "first quarter."

I don't understand why he's saying "Universal and DreamWorks are working on" the BD when it's my understanding that the DreamWorks live action catalog is currently owned by a consortium led by George Soros after Viacom sold (read: flipped) it to help finance their acquisition of DreamWorks.

Paramount Makes Deal to Sell DreamWorks Library | homemediamagazine.com

The $64,000 question is who are Soros et al. going to license the home vid rights to for the DW live action catalog. The most "logical" choice would be Paramount.

Finally, we've seen Universal erroneously tout the home video release of something before.

Spielberg statement: No plans to release films on HD DVD

They're not alone: My Training Day HD DVD has an insert on which Warner trumpets Shawshank to be "On HD DVD Summer 2006!" That of course never happened and the BD finally streeted just three months ago.

Bill would be, indeed repeatedly is, the first to say 'take Rumor Mill posts with grains of salt.' What we really need is something more substantive than a guy in Germany looking at an insert. Charlie may or, unfortunately, may not have even been asked to work on the Gladiator BD release.

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Boy Paul, you are a thorough guy. You are definitely on top of things. Thanks for the update on what is going on with Dreamworks and Paramount. There are several players involved here, I can see why all this could be a bit dicey.

Don't ask me where I got "the first quarter" from. I posted it correctly on my own board that I have and must have not been paying careful attention when I posted it, here (I have corrected it above). I don't want to give wrong information. Add a few months onto "the first quarter" and you get a half, right? Okay, just a little teacher humor. ;) We may not see a quarter or a half on this one, anytime soon. I hope that is not the case. I do take the rumor mill for what it is...rumor. Maybe like many others, I want this one to be true.

I hope Charlie would be the one to work on the Blu-Ray version, but given all that is going on, he may not and that would be a shame. He did such a fantastic job with the other versions of the film.

I will stop rambling, now. It's been a pleasure. Thanks for the links, I appreciate it. It's great to converse with people like you who are so well informed and I thank you for that.

Cheers again,

Dara

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the kind words, Dara.

Perhaps you saw Bill's Rumor Mill post yesterday in which he mentions a "Gladiator: Director's Cut" amongst other titles in "Paramount's catalog Blu-ray plans for 2009" (bold mine)?

I think Bill may have simply misspoken when he referred to "Universal and DreamWorks" working on the title earlier. And the reference to DW threw me regarding the flyer that he was relaying reader word on. On further thought it makes sense: Gladiator was a split rights co-production. What Viacom bought from DW (and then sold) was DW's domestic home vid rights to the picture. U likely still owns the international home vid rights, so it does make sense that they would be touting an international release of Gladiator on a insert tucked in The Mummy's sarcophagus.

More sauce for the release goose though: is the "Director's Cut" the Extended Edition by another name? Or will the BD feature a third cut of the picture on disc?

"Inquiring minds want to know"!

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Hi Paul,

You are welcome for the kind words, you certainly deserve them.

I did not see the news about the DVD, so thanks for posting that.

I assume that Bill must be referring to the Extended Edition, when he says "Director's Cut". The only two versions I know of (and I am sure you know of, too) are the theatrical Cut and the Extended Edition. If there is a new version coming on Blu-Ray that would be news to me, as well. But, if it is the Extended Edition on Blu-Ray, I will take it. But you are correct, inquiring minds really want to know!

I guess then that would lead me back to my original question about any new material or extras. I hope there is news about what will be included on the DVD, soon.

I saw the flyer that you made reference to, as well (I saw it with the "Wanted" DVD). I see what you are saying about Universal having the international home video rights to the DVD. The interesting part about that flyer was that it had the cover of the Theatrical Cut of the film on it with the Blu-Ray logo across the top. Would they be releasing that version, internationally and the Extended Edition, domestically? I wouldn't think so.

My guess is that they had to put something in the flyer, so they just chose the theatrical version cover to represent the film. But, these are all questions I hope will be answered soon. I still wonder if Charlie might know a little something, but I can see that this is most likely out of his hands.

Thanks Again,

Dara

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Those covers could completely change between teaser ads and final release. I wouldn't look at any particular cover art as being indicative of a particular cut of the film.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I don't understand the SuperBit reference, Mike. What does the announcement of a loaded Gladiator BD have to do with that Sony line of movie-only DVDs? Care to unpack your comment please?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
"The Sapphire Series will capitalize on the pristine picture and sound of the Blu-ray format to present each cinematic gem in the highest quality..."

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ah, okay.

FWIW "Sapphire Series" sounds like more of marketing tool to me, a moniker selectively applied to pedigreed titles of an awards-winning cachet. I'd like to think that titles in that Series won't be mastered any differently than most other Par titles. Practically speaking, that brand will perhaps mean greater supplemental content, like New Line's Platinum Series.

The SuperBit DVDs, on the other hand, were indeed mastered differently (same transfer but with the disc's bit budget and storage capacity dedicated to maximizing PQ). No supps; DTS audio (only). S.W.A.T., XXX, Johnny Mnemonic and Bad Boys all got the SB treatment despite not being Academy "bait."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Charles has posted on the Sapphire Series thread in the HD Software section, indicating that there will be 5 hours of bonus features in addition to all that was previously included. This is exciting news.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Howdy, Charlie.

You're of course uniquely knowledgeable in these matters. Perhaps you could let us know what's been passed over for inclusion on the BD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks