Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Cable Amplification Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Tom Rags

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 03:02 AM

So I'm finally retiring my 5 year old CRT Zenith 4x3 HDTV that has served me quite well (I purchased it as a stopgap until plasma prices dropped), and I'm finally plunging into a better world. My CRT HDTV was a monitor and did not have an ATSC or QAM tuner. I am planning on purchasing a Panasonic plasma that obviously has both. Question: I'd like to take advantage of my DVR/cable box in addition to the integrated QAM tuner in the TV. In the past, I would have amplified the signal out of the wall, split the signal, and sent it to both applicable places. Since we are now in a mostly digital environment, do I still need to amplify the signal, or can/should I simply attach the spliiter out of the wall? I also use "in demand" features, so I know if I use an amp I'll need a 2-way. Anyway, just curious if an amp is still recommended since I've been out of the game for a few years.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 09 2009 - 03:59 AM

I split the cable coming from the wall with one line going to my JVC LCoS and the other to my HD DVR using a cheap, brass Rat Shack splitter with no amplification and haven't had any problems. Regards, Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users