What's new

Digital Cable Amplification Question (1 Viewer)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
So I'm finally retiring my 5 year old CRT Zenith 4x3 HDTV that has served me quite well (I purchased it as a stopgap until plasma prices dropped), and I'm finally plunging into a better world. My CRT HDTV was a monitor and did not have an ATSC or QAM tuner. I am planning on purchasing a Panasonic plasma that obviously has both.

Question: I'd like to take advantage of my DVR/cable box in addition to the integrated QAM tuner in the TV. In the past, I would have amplified the signal out of the wall, split the signal, and sent it to both applicable places. Since we are now in a mostly digital environment, do I still need to amplify the signal, or can/should I simply attach the spliiter out of the wall? I also use "in demand" features, so I know if I use an amp I'll need a 2-way. Anyway, just curious if an amp is still recommended since I've been out of the game for a few years.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I split the cable coming from the wall with one line going to my JVC LCoS and the other to my HD DVR using a cheap, brass Rat Shack splitter with no amplification and haven't had any problems.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks