What's new

Using Yamaha DSP-A1 with Blu-Ray player ???? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm one of the one's still using and enjoying my 10 years old Yamaha DSP-A1 (Flagship model in 1998). I've yet to switch over to Blu-ray but that will be changing very soon.

I'm thinking of going with the Sony BDP-S550.

Since my Yammy has no HDMI 1.3 connection, but does have 6.1 ch. inputs,

will I still be able to take advantage of the HD high res codecs found on the BR discs? And if so, what is major difference between hearing the higher codecs either thru the hdmi connection or analog input connection?

I've been out of the hT game awhile now , so I'm not on top of these issues like I use to be.

Thanks for clarifying this for me,

T r o y

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Sheesh, sorry, nothing to add, but just the amazement: I've got a DSP-A1, too.
TEN YEARS ALREADY?!?!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
T r o y said:
Since my Yammy has no HDMI 1.3 connection, but does have 6.1 ch. inputs,
will I still be able to take advantage of the HD high res codecs found on the BR discs? And if so, what is major difference between hearing the higher codecs either thru the hdmi connection or analog input connection?
Yes, you can.
With the Sony BDP-S550, there really shouldn't be any difference. It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Sony 550 sends everything, including dtsHD Master Audio, over the 7.1 multi-channel outputs. Most of them don't. Since it's an older receiver, when watching a blu ray movie, it will probably say "Multi-Channel" in the window on front of receiver, instead of "Dolby TrueHD" or "dtsHD MA".

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The other thing I like to point out is that when using the Multi-Channel in's most receivers act only as an amplifier. They pass the audio straight to the volume controls by-passing all signal processing like bass/treble controls, PLII/Neo:6, YAPO/Audyssey and the receivers bass management. There are exceptions like my Pioneer 59TXi and some Onkyo's allow bass/treble controls. This may or may not be important to you but I like to remind people about it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yes, all processing and bass management should be bypassed. To compensate on my 1998 Yamaha RX-V995, I set all 5 channels 10dB soft so, at reference volume, my sub sounds like it should.

Jarrod

Agent
Does the -995 have a 5.1 analog input? I've got one of those in a closet somewhere. I didn't remember it having this feature.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Leo Kerr said:
Sheesh, sorry, nothing to add, but just the amazement: I've got a DSP-A1, too.
TEN YEARS ALREADY?!?!
Leo,
Are you taking advantage now of the high res audio codecs found on the BR discs using the analog inputs on the DSP-A1 ? And if so, how impressed are you? What BR machine do you have ?
Thanks
Troy

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm still DVD only. I should have jumped when I first saw 'em, but right now with the Panasonic DVD players being priced as collector's items, I'm holding off again. Of course, I haven't really been at home for any length of time since about September.
Maybe in February... I'm hoping to upgrade to BluRay and a true HD projector soon (lookin' at the PT-AE3000 and either the BD35/55. Not sure which yet.)
Leo

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Leo:

I plan on buying the Sony BDP-S550 in February. I'm looking forward to both the improvement of the video and audio from BR movies. I'll be displaying it through my Mitsubishi HC-1500 DLP Projector. Should look pretty darn good even if it will only be 720p/1080i. I can't afford one of the true 1080P display projectors at this time. One thing at a time.

TroyH

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Still wondering if there are any YAMAHA DSP-A1 receiver owners out there that are now taking advantage of the 5.1 chan. analog inputs on the back for enjoying Blu-ray high res soundtracks?

Thanks

TroyH

KTinCA

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi, just ran across this thread... I've got a DSPA1 and am using a BDP-05FD and running both the S/PDIF (HDMI into the DVDO and then S/PDIF out from the DVDO) and the Analog out into my DSPA1 (for the new codecs). Works quite well actually... even with the S/PDIF the standard lossy DTS and Dolby core sounds even better so the DSPA1 is processing the lower compression codecs well.

Only thing I would say is get a blu ray that has extensive analog audio output controls if possible (the drawback is like the Pioneer they are generally much more expensive than your Costco/Walmart grab and run players). At a bare minimum make sure you can at least set the low frequency crossover since the DSPA1 completely bypasses its internal bass managment when you use the external decoder input.

The only real pain I'm having is trying to figure out a way to get the DSPA1 to shift to "external decoder" using the Logitech remote... doesn't seem to want to work no matter what i do. Otherwise works great for a 10 year old piece of kit...

Thanks,
KT

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've been using the Oppo BD83 and my DSP-A1 for a while now. Initially, I just jumped the optical out from the now abandoned DVD player over to the Oppo. Since then, I've added a whole bunch of RCAs and am jumping between the External Decoder In / Optical bitstream in. Unless I've missed it, Dolby Stereo is sent out of the Oppo as Left/Right, and the Bitstream lets the Yamaha do a ProLogic decode on it. Otherwise, I'm using the Oppo as it's a little easier to set up, calibrate, balance, et cetera, all of the speakers/delays/levels.

I'm not sure about the Logitech remotes, but if it can "learn," it should be okay -- it's just a cryptic infrared code. If it's a code library that you need to find, well, that'll be less than fun. Unless.. oh, erm...

Interesting. On the Yamaha remote, it takes two hits of the button to cycle over to the External Decoder in.. I wonder if that's part of the problem?

Leo

KTinCA

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
The Oppo is nice... I think it has way more analog level controls than the Pioneer does, not to mention the DVDO chips in it are exceptional. I'm pretty sure what you are getting from the S/PDIF output is just the 2 channel PCM downmix like you suggest. I get the same thing out of the Pioneer. Unfortunately, the pioneer requires you to stop the entire show if you want to select the analog outs so I can't switch to it on the fly (although it does allow you to change video resolutions on the fly for whatever reason).

Not sure if it is the Pioneer or the DSPA1, but I did notice that on DTS MA output the DSPA1 doesn't seem to read the core DTS (lossy) bitstream for whatever reason, so I have to use the analog outs. I had read that it is backwards compatable, but apparently in my particular set up it is not.

The problem with the Logitech seem to be that double button push and the issue that you have to re-input that to get out of that external decoder... i.e. you can't just hit TV/DBS and switch inputs...

SRTGR8

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
At one point I was selling my DSP A1 and for some reason none of my friends were interested, although they all have very crappy systems or HTIB systems, which I find awful. Last year decided to build a man cave for 2.1 music listening. Got the Yammy out of storage and wow, sounds great with my B&W 705s and SPL 1000 Velodyne sub. I'm listening to music via an Oppo DV 980H. All of a sudden my friends want to buy it, but if you snooze, you lose.

Now the breakdown of my HT. All of a sudden my Anthem D1 is not working properly. I don't know what the problem is. My Parasound amps are working great. Anyway, I can't afford to get my processor serviced yet. So I will be bringing my trustworthy and old reliable DSP A1 downstairs and will use my analog from my new Samsung BD-C6900 to get the best sound possible. I'll be setting this up later in the day when I get the strength to carry the Panny. It's pretty heavy. My speakers are Von Schweikert with the same subwoofer as my stereo room. I'm confident it will sound good. I won't expect the quality of my D1, but hopefully it won't be that far behind. At least my wife won't notice the difference.

EdgeUK8

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam Kaiser
Ahh even thou this thread is dead I felt compelled to add my good old A1.... comparing it to a newer Anthem D1?!?!?.... wow what an A/V our good old Yammy is. Mine was tucked away while Ive been through Bel Canto S300iu, BAT VK55, Parasound JC 2, Rotel RC 1580, Rotel RB 1552, and parasound JC1's - I know Im leaving some out. You can tell I fell off the HT bandwagon for 2-channel. However, I felt the itch with the advent of the HD slim line Samsung 50" I just bought. So, I found the DSP and brought it out with a pair of 2 year old magnepan 6.1's, old JM Lab Dalines with MK Sub and satellites (the MK Mark VI with the two satellite sound incredible by themselves as a two channel with the A1!) Ive got a Samsung BR that I plan on using but haven't had the chance to get things sorted out and wired. I hope while Im off this week I can get some kind of system going to see how it sounds. I need a good sub and I should have a decent movie watching system. Although I doubt the Maggies will be allowed to stay (WAF) has kept them in my cave and more recently boxed up as I got a steal of deal on a rotel system along with some Vienna Acoustics (which I had not heard of in some time.) These Beethoven's sound so so smooth and just sweet with the rotel I cant believe the deal I got.... less than $3,000 for everything brand new.....it's nice to be friends with a dealer! :)
Cheers to all of us Yamaha DSP A1 owners who found and bought one heck of a A/V Amp for its time and thereafter! :D

newguilderoy

Auditioning
Real Name
simon connelly
Last year 2010, we bought a SAMSUNG 3D 50" TV, had a few problems as it came with a 3D Blu Ray Player. I wanted to connect it to the DSP A!, from distant memory, there is a setting that you have to program on the Blu Ray player to say that you want to send optical sound 5.1 as I have an optical cable plugged in between the two devices ( I was tearing my hair out!!) Remember to turn the volume off on the TV, and then enjoy your DSP/A1 on DVD/LD setting with your HDMI cable between Blu Ray player/TV and optical cable between Blu Ray player and DSP/A1 (Read the manual of the SAMSUNG 3D Blu Ray Player, it will tell you the magical NOT factory default setting).

Plaything

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
i have / had an A1 till new years eve when some twonk spil vodka and orrange through the top.
Insurance co are sure to wrtie it off but need advice as they will try and down grade me as did not have listed as specific item ( as cost over 1500 ) alreadt saying some of simular spec.. so am going to have to gon down each spec level, any true aduiophiles able to assist in recommedndations??
Cheers

lobo muadeab

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
im new to this so please bear with me. I have a dsp a1amp and a oppo 83 se blue ray. Can any one tell my how to hook up the 7.1 ch. I have all the speakers hooked up. I seem to have all the a/v jacks wright. I cant get the 7.1 indacater light to come on.
tks

Users who are viewing this thread