Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Buena Vista Press Release: Disney Blu-ray + DVD Combo Packs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 06:17 AM

BURBANK, Calif.—January 7, 2009 – As more and more families transition to high definition, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) concentrates its efforts on offering consumers unprecedented quality, value and portability in the purchases of their favorite Disney Blu-ray movies with the announcement of its new Blu-ray + DVD Combo Packs.

Disney’s Combo Pack will be extended across an exciting new slate of Disney-branded theatrical and Platinum titles releasing on Blu-ray between February and October of 2009. Some of the upcoming Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack titles families can look forward to include the teen phenomenon High School Musical 3: Senior Year (February 17), Walt Disney’s animated classic Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition (March 10) and all those leading up to the highly anticipated release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition in October.

“These unique Combo Packs provide the opportunity for consumers around the world to take advantage of the quality of Blu-ray with the portability of a DVD disc in a single package, comments Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. “As always, we are committed to offering our consumers exceptional quality and value when purchasing our products.”

WDSHE first successfully introduced a Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD in a single package) with the release of Sleeping Beauty’s 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition in 2008 across limited markets. The inclusion of the feature film on standard definition DVD allowed consumers without Blu-ray players to “future proof” their collections.

In addition, WDSHE North America will be packaging 14 of its hot new Blu-ray titles releasing in the U.S. and Canada with a DisneyFile digital copy of the movie for consumers to enjoy anytime, anywhere on their Mac, PC or compatible portable devices. Digital copies will be made available in both iTunes and Windows Media file formats and are set to be included with such titles as High School Musical 3: Senior Year, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Monsters Inc., and A Bugs Life.

As part of its continued worldwide Blu-ray release efforts, WDSHE is adding many exciting new titles to the line-up in North America, Europe and Asia. Titles include new theatrical releases, catalog, direct-to-video, top television series and some of America’s most requested movies.

WDSHE North America will be releasing several new theatrical titles to Blu-ray day-and-date with the DVD including Swing Vote (Touchstone Pictures) on January 13; Miracle At St. Anna (Touchstone Pictures) on February 10; High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Walt Disney Pictures) on February 17; Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Walt Disney Pictures) on March 3; Morning Light (Walt Disney Pictures) in summer of 2009; as well as an all new direct-to-video Space Buddies (Walt Disney Pictures) on February 3.

In addition, WDSHE North America will also be expanding its Blu-ray catalog library with more than 30 exciting releases including such titles as Pretty Woman (Touchstone Pictures) on February 10; High School Musical Remix Edition (Walt Disney Pictures) on February 17; Monsters Inc. (Disney/Pixar); A Bugs Life (Disney/Pixar); Microcosmos (Miramax); Rounders 10th Anniversary Edition (Miramax); Lost: The Complete First and Second Seasons (ABC); Sin City (Miramax); Miracle (Walt Disney Pictures); Sling Blade (Miramax); The Greatest Game Ever Played (Walt Disney Pictures); Pulp Fiction Special Edition (Miramax); Good Will Hunting Special Edition (Miramax) and many more to follow in 2009.

In Europe/Australia, WDSHE will roll-out the following Blu-ray titles beginning with Space Buddies (Walt Disney Pictures) and High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Walt Disney Pictures) in February; Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition (Walt Disney Pictures) in March and Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Walt Disney Pictures) in April; and Monsters Inc. (Disney/Pixar) sometime in 2009.

Japan will see the following WDSHE Blu-ray releases starting with Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition (Walt Disney Pictures) in March; Tinker Bell (Walt Disney Pictures) and WALL-E (Disney/Pixar) in April; and High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Walt Disney Pictures), Monsters Inc. (Disney/Pixar) and Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Walt Disney Pictures) to follow at later dates.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 07 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hopefully the combo packs don't raise the price, but if they follow the Sleeping Beauty example, it shouldn't. I like the idea. It makes much more sense than digital copies to me - but then again I don't watch movies on an ipod, cell phone, or whatever the hell kids are watching these things on these days.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Swanny

Swanny

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:23 PM

This great news and a fantastic idea! Now my wife and I can watch the Blue Ray version in our Home Theater and the kids can watch the DVD on their computer! Looks like a revenue generator for Disney as well!
Swanny is the Host of "The Home Theater Show" from Studio City California

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:30 PM

I hate the digital copies stuff since they have an expiration date
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 05:52 AM

I'm happy since I liked this feature on Sleeping Beauty. I only wished they would've followed suit and did it on Wall-E.

Hmmm, I wonder if they'd start doing it in reverse - getting the Blu-ray with your purchase of the DVD Posted Image.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 06:06 AM

Great news, but with many questions unanswered.
Higher Price for these combos?
Thicker packaging? (3 discs now to accommodate the BD, DigiCopy, and DVD)
and why didn't they spec this in 3 years ago, like HDDVD did? lol
(yes...that last part is a dig on BluRay Group)

DISNEY and BVHE is doing the RIGHT THING and making up for the formats shortcomings.

Thank you,
Matt
Regards,
Matt

"Just happy to be here."
Feel free to AIM/PM me.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted January 09 2009 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
I hate the digital copies stuff since they have an expiration date

I wonder if the expiration dates are hard and firm, or if they put them there as a way of sort of saying "No guarantees, we think we're still gonna be doing this in a couple years but just in case this whole digital copy thing doesn't work out, don't say we didn't warn you."

Also, will they reissue every title that had a digital copy the date of the expiration date?

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 09 2009 - 10:18 AM

I wonder if any of these blu announcements (SNOW WHITE, PULP FICTION, SIN CITY) will have new content or not?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 09 2009 - 06:08 PM

I assume the Snow White will have new content. That appears to be the game Disney's been playing with their DVD SEs of other animated films. If Sleeping Beauty is any indication, they'll create new extras, cherry pick from the old ones, and drop some content entirely. But that's just my guess.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Deco King

Deco King

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 02:55 AM

Today April 3rd 2009 , USA Today announced that Disney's beloved classic
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs will debut on Blu Ray October 6th 2009 - but and here is the difference - the DVD will NOT be released until November 24th 2009!

The Blu Ray will contain many features absent from the previous 2001 release!

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 03 2009 - 05:09 AM

^ Great news!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,735 posts

Posted April 04 2009 - 05:58 PM

I was really hoping for a new Romy, and Michelle(Touchstone). This one has been untouched since it's dvd release in 1999......sad.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:35 AM

Any word on 20000 Leauges Under the Sea?
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West