Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney's CES press release: Monsters, Inc.; Lost Seasons 1 & 2; and more

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 10:12 PM

Lots of good news in here for Blu-ray collectors.

ADDING MULTIMEDIA Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Announces Exciting New Blu-ray Options Offering Consumers Greater Accessibility and Value Than Ever Before

Some highlights:
  • The Blu-ray + DVD combo packs (introduced with Sleeping Beauty) will continue, with Pinocchio, High School Musical 3, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs slated to receive a bonus DVD of the movie attached to the Blu-ray (hopefully it won't change the SRP).
  • HSM 3 will also get digital copy, an interesting tactic.
  • Upcoming catalog releases (no dates specified yet): Monsters, Inc., A Bug's Life, Microcosmos, Rounders, Lost: The Complete First and Second Seasons, Sin City, Miracle, Sling Blade, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Pulp Fiction, and Good Will Hunting.
  • No mention of Finding Nemo at all. Has it been bumped again?
I'm personally excited for Monsters, Inc., and LOST, but it sounds like this will be a great year for Blu from Disney.

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 11:06 PM

Fantastic news re: Pulp Fiction! Posted Image Hopefully they'll release Jackie Brown at the same time.

Sin City would've also gotten me excited if I didn't already have the Canadian BD. I'll wait and see what the differences are.

I'll also pick up Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life. I'm starting to think the one Pixar film I want the most (The Incredibles) will probably be the very last one they release on BD.

No interest in owning the other titles mentioned.

Hopefully Open Range, Tombstone and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
Death before Streaming!

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 12:33 AM

All that fuss over Cuse and Lindelof's comments that they didn't see Lost seasons 1 and 2 being released on Blu any time soon.... Shows how much they were in the know with ABC Studios brass.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 12:45 AM

Looking forward to many of these, especially Good Will Hunting since I don't think it has had an anamorphic release on SD yet.

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 12:49 AM

We most definitely have not and it has so desperately needed the upgrade. Good news!
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 12:58 AM

Very glad to see Lost getting everything on Blu.
Edward

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Loregnum

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:05 AM

Wow, this is awesome news. A lot of titles in the press release which I want to buy.

Here's hoping they are given the same quality of the Kill Bill discs and not Gangs of New York.Posted Image

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:23 AM

I am very excited about this press release!

From this list, I will definitely be picking up:

Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Monsters, Inc.
A Bug's Life
Sin City
Sling Blade
Pulp Fiction
Good Will Hunting

Hopefully, I will be able to find Lost: The Complete First and Second Seasons at a price that warrants a blind-buy. I've never seen any of this series but have wanted to for a while. I just wanted to start off on the right foot (i.e. HD vs. SD). Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:52 AM

There most certainly is an anamorphic DVD release of Good Will Hunting, just not in the States. It'll be nice to have an HD copy of the film on Blu. Sin City should look pretty good, too. I hope it includes both the theatrical cut and the separate extended editions of each story.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,699 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:55 AM

They mentioned Pulp Fiction as "coming soon" on a commercial on the Lost: S4 Blu-ray and I had wondered why no one had seemed to notice. Assuming they actually happen, I'll get Pulp Fiction, both Lost sets and the Pixar and Disney animated movies.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 03:14 AM

This is great news. I'm in for all of the animated releases. -R
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,586 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 07 2009 - 03:16 AM

Pulp Fiction and some of the Disney will eventually go on my shelf. It'll be nice to rent some of the others in hi-def.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,922 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:12 AM

FINALLY the first two seasons of LOST! And more animation. The quicker I can shed the DVD versions, the happier I'm going to be.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,867 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:48 AM

Pinocchio
Snow White
Monsters, Inc.
(I can only imagine how good this will look/sound! Posted Image And, the same holds true for those first two titles! )

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,406 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 07 2009 - 05:36 AM

Of the announced titles, I will gladly pick up the following:

Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Monsters, Inc.
A Bug's Life
Microcosmos
Rounders
Sin City
Pulp Fiction
Good Will Hunting

And I second Jim's request for Open Range, Tombstone, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 05:48 AM

Hmmm, Rounders is listed as a 10th anniversary edition. I wonder if it will include extra footage and/or bonus features that are not in the SE DVD that was released a few years ago.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,406 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 07 2009 - 08:13 AM

Not mentioned in the OP is that Miracle was also announced as coming in 2009.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 08:54 AM

I will definitely be purchasing the first two seasons of "Lost" and I would love to see Beautiful Girls among the "...many more to follow in 2009."

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,875 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:28 PM

What? No love for High School Musical 3 here? Posted Image Posted Image

Maybe I should get that to help give the format a boost while trying to appease my daughter and get her to forget about Mama Mia. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Hard to believe I could ever think that buying yet another HSM DVD/BD would be better than something else (musical or not)... Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted January 07 2009 - 02:32 PM

Some nice stuff here. Posted Image I was just wondering about Pulp Fiction BD the other day...

As Carl already inferred, Good Will Hunting was released in Canada on anamorphic DVD.