Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How High should a TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 09:02 PM

be off of the floor if one is going to get a stand for it or mount it on the wall. right now my tv is on the floor but i would like to get a stand for it and have it at a better viewing angle.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 10:23 PM

My preference is for the center of the screen to be at eye level (while seated, of course).

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 06 2009 - 11:20 PM

What Brian said is the ideal position. I've never understood why people want to mount tvs on the wall, especially over a fireplace. They saw a designer on HGTV do it, and thought it was cool....
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 11:38 PM

I suppose "over the fireplace" would be good placement if you'll always only watch television from this position:

Posted Image

In that case, reclined so far back, following your eye-line could end up reaching as high on the wall as "over the fireplace".

However, most people watch television sitting like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 06 2009 - 11:51 PM

From that position, the best place would be where the wall and ceiling meet. Posted Image

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hehehe... I have a vaulted ceiling -- basically a 45 degree angle.... I suppose I could mount a flat screen right on the inclined ceiling. Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 02:36 AM

Ed, Why do you think flat panel TV's are so popular and DPL monsters are almost extinct? For some families allowing your significant other to decorate a room with a flat panel is a easy way to get the set into the house. A woman watches HGTV. A designer hangs one in a pretty much useless space over a fireplace and thinks that's cool and chic and I want to do that and sha-zamm the flat panel appears overnight. Never mind that it may be too high for proper viewing. In my own case I just purchased a 52" Sony and am waiting for delivery. My wife didn't care where we put it but happens that the best and only possible spot for it is in front of our fireplace because that is in the center of our 14'x22' family room and you can also view it from our remodeled kitchen. I am lucky because we never use the fireplace and it doesn't have a mantle. I am going to play around with the set and try it on a stand in front of the fireplace. I can also mount it on the brick above the fireplace with the bottom of the set being about 32" off the ground to keep it low.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 07 2009 - 03:09 AM

Oh, I know how popular they are. That's why Sony and JVC quit making the LCoS tvs. A lot of people say it takes less space there too. If all you have is the tv, that's fine. But if you have HT equipment, it's going to take the space anyway, so the tv may as well stay on the stand, with the equipment. If you're going to hide the equipment, and use an RF remote, that's another option. I just see very few reasons for it to be practical, to hang the tv on the wall. But that's just me..........

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,217 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:46 AM

And a sad day it was when I heard that.....

I have a JVC LCoS (HD-ILA) from 2 years ago and I still think it is the best TV ever. Good news is a new bulb every couple years and it should look as good in 10 years as it does today (knock on wood).

I guess one good thing about hanging the TV above the fire place is it makes it easier to fall asleep when your wife makes you watch one of "her" movies. Posted Image

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 07:21 AM

Dave, LOL, Remember to stock up on those bulbs for your TV. Sometime in the next few years the Federal Government is going to ban the manufacture of what we now know as the incandescent light bulb, because they consume too much energy. I don't know where your TV bulbs or projection TV bulbs fit in to the picture but you may want to do some research into the subject.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 07:43 AM

The proposed bans are all structured based on wattage and socket design, i.e., targeting incandescent bulbs which have replacements on the market. It is inconceivable that they will ban something for which there is no suitable replacement, at least not until after they've had a ban in place for all bulb types that do have a replacement on the market.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 04:16 AM

I was only joking about having to stock up on projector type bulbs. But I might add these CFL replacements cost more, take a minute or more to light up, look ugly, can't be dimmed, don't work well in the cold, can't be used in motion detector lights, and because they contain Mercury need a special clean up routine if you break one and shouldn't be disposed of in your trash. Yes that is progress all in the name of big governemt. I don't have a problem with CLF bulbs and have a few of them in certain applications but I like having the freedom of choice to buy the kind of light bulb I want not the bulb the government thinks I should be using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users