Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iTunes more like Amazon now

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 09:45 AM

So everyone's heard the news today that iTunes will start competing with Amazon's 256kbps, DRM-free song downloads? Like Amazon, iTunes will now be 256kbps, DRM-free.

Everything on iTunes that used to be DRM'd or used to be available at the old 128kbps will be upgraded to 256kbps by April.

iTunes will be ever-so-slightly better quality since it uses AAC rather than mp3 but essentially they're now on equal footing.

http://www.apple.com...1/06itunes.html
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 6 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:06 AM

Itunes still uses a proprietary format and a proprietary "management" front end which places an extroardiary usage burden on people who do not use Apple's proprietary hardware.

Baby steps. I still won't use Itunes unless there are specific songs which are not availabe in any other format.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#3 of 6 Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:29 PM

I use: Free Legal Music - SpiralFrog is the best source for music from Kanye West, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Fall Out Boy, Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Ne-Yo, Katy Perry, Akon, Rihanna, Lil Wayne, Hinder, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Kevin Rudolf,

All music is free.

#4 of 6 John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cowmeadow
How about Rihanna?

#5 of 6 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm
Itunes still uses a proprietary format

I'm pretty sure AAC is not proprietary. Even the Zune plays them. It is just not as widely supported as its predecessor mp3. I like it because they learned from mp3 and made it better.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 6 georgexu316

georgexu316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 11:15 AM

I like their new DRM rule, now things'll be much better and cheaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow