Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: The Sam Elliott Western Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,331 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 08:56 AM

WARNER HOME VIDEO CORRALS THREE CLASSIC WESTERNS STARRING COWBOY ICON SAM ELLIOTT The Sam Elliott Western Collection: THE DESPERATE TRAIL ROUGH RIDERS YOU KNOW MY NAME Featuring Acclaimed Actors Including Tom Berenger, Gary Busey, Arliss Howard, Craig Sheffe, and Linda Fiorentino. Debuting on February 10, 2009 Burbank, CA. (January 6, 2008) – Break out those cowboy boots and hats and saddle up for another great ride back to the wild, wild west with Warner Home Video’s release of The Sam Elliott Western Collection on DVD February 10, 2009. Featuring veteran actor and cowboy icon Sam Elliott in three of his best roles, the collection includes The Desperate Trail, Rough Riders and You Know My Name. Gather your cowboy friends around the campfire and enjoy these Western classics on DVD; all three films are lassoed together in a collectable slipcase, priced to own at $19.97 SRP. Desperate Trail The law ends and the chase begins in a very alive tale of wanted-dead-or-alive fugitives (Linda Fiorentino and Craig Sheffer) pursued by a marshal (Sam Elliott) who’s a law unto himself. Saddle up for a “well-written (and well-acted) Western with…surprises in store to the very end of the trail” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide). Rough Riders John Milius (Red Dawn, The Wind and the Lion) directed and co-wrote this heroic salute to Theodore Roosevelt and his fighting Spanish-American War comrades. Tom Berenger (as Teddy), Sam Elliott and Gary Busey lead the way in the epic tale of the conflict that shaped the nation’s destiny and a future President’s soul. You Know My Name Sam Elliott “stands tall in one of the choice roles of his career” (Steven Linan, Los Angeles Times) as Bill Tilghman, lawman and former partner of Wyatt Earp, confronting an emerging early 20th-century era when outlaws run whiskey instead of cattle and are as likely to tote a Tommy gun as carry a six-gun. Basics Street Date: February 10, 2009 Price: $19.97 SRP Total Running Time: 370 minutes The Desperate Trail Language: English Subtitles: ESDH, Spanish, French Aspect Ratio: 4x3 Audio: Mono Running Time: 93 minutes Rough Riders Language: English Subtitles: Spanish, French Aspect Ratio: 4x3 Audio: Stereo 2.0 Running Time: 183 minutes You Know My Name Language: English Subtitles: Spanish, French Aspect Ratio: 16x9 Audio: Dolby Surround Stereo Running Time: 94 minutes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 06 2009 - 05:38 PM

Who?

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 06:09 PM

The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals. ]

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 04:52 AM

Elliott.
Sam Elliott.
The hogrider dad in Bogdanovich's Mask, co-starred in Gettysburg, played Virgil Earp in the hit Tombstone, did The Incredible Hulk for Ang Lee, and should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor in We Were Soldiers Once.

Chapter and verse: in between the two trend-setting and self-absorbed major cities of Los Angeles at the west end of the continent and New York City at the east end of the continent there is a large continent stretching about 3,000 miles wide and roughly 2,000 miles north and south. In this vast expense there is a large population of people, many of whom live in what is commonly known as the American West (yes, it's a real place), and many of whom are very interested in new westerns, westerns that are traditional yet progressive at the same time. The movie industry turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the middle of the country's interest in westerns. Westerns don't relate to lifestyles of industry players in either of the two major cities, so naturally they assume that the rest of the country can't really be interested, either.* In this vast expanse of country in which nobody is interested in westerns Sam Elliott has earned an enthusiastic and dedicated cult following over the years as the star of a dozen independent and made-for-cable westerns. Audiences recognized the high calibre of his acting chops and the authenticity of his performances as a westerner.

This collection is welcome, although it doesn't represent Elliott's best work. The historical drama I Will Fight No More Forever (1975) was highly regarded and considered an important breakthrough in television at the time. The Sacketts (1979), The Quick and the Dead (1987 not the Sharon Stone thing that stole the title later), and Conagher (1992), all adaptations of Louis L'Amour novels, are generally regarded as his best work, and are available on DVD individually. Conagher really alerted audiences to Elliott's work and was voted one of the 10 best westerns ever made by the Western Writers of America as I recall. Personally, I think Elliott invests his characters with a dimension the source novels simply don't have. In other words, he improves on them.

Ironically, the weakest and most problematic of his L'Amour adaptations, The Shadow Riders (1982), remains his most popular western. Why, who knows.

Several of his other westerns, like Wild Times and Houston, have not been released on DVD. After Conagher the public demanded more and is still demanding more, but Elliott is an older man now and seems to be walking away from all the western productions that are offered to him. What he's done thus far is memorable.

* ... and if the rest of the country really does want westerns, so what? who cares?

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,679 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 07:52 AM

I will probably get this set. I've always liked Sam Elliot as an actor, going back to his Gabe and Walker days. I have only seen The Rough Riders from the new set, and thought it worthwhile. I need to see the other two. I second all those titles Richard mentioned' particularly the L'Amour adaptations.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,162 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 07:55 PM

I'm a little dismayed that THE DESPERATE TRAIL is being issued full-frame. I know it debuted on TNT, but while watching it I sensed that it was a busted theatrical production that was intended for 1.85 presentation.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 06:38 AM

The Quick and the Dead and Conagher are full-screen as well. The former has a commentary from director Robert Day. Conagher is directed by Reynaldo Villalobos, who is also a Director of Photography, and one of the most interesting and under-rated talents I know. Although the stories are structured for television, both are beautifully produced and shot like feature films. All of Elliott's cable films are as good or better than feature films.

Rough Riders is John Milius's character-driven epic about Teddy Roosevelt and the assault on San Juan Hill. Milius's perspective is meant to engage and confront the audience the way The Wind and the Lion did, which of course it resembles. It's the strongest of the three films in the collection and well worth the price all by itself.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 02:34 PM

Of all the possible westerns in their library... THIS?!?!?

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted January 15 2009 - 08:05 AM

I mean, really, they could pick any random star from the '30s, '40s, and '50s, and chances are he or she did three westerns at Warners, MGM, and RKO. They could probably do a Ward Bond or Harry Carey, Jr. western collection and come up with a better selection than this -- probably enough to do two or three sets.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 15 2009 - 09:30 AM

These are TV movies, folks.... ....and as has been communicated by Warner video before (via their chats), they are organized where the TV marketing is handled by a different group than those who handle theatrical product. Whatever they do with Sam Elliot or Yosemite Sam, has nothing to do with what they do with John Wayne or Anthony Mann.... Different groups within the same company. ..and for what it's worth, these TNT western telefilms are likely very popular on video, especially at places like Walmart. Meanwhile, I know new to DVD Western theatrical films are in the works at WB, as a friend of mine worked on a commentary for WAGONMASTER.....

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 15 2009 - 02:08 PM

What's wrong with you guys? Why the disdain? Have you seen these films? Is it okay with you if WHV releases contemporary films or do you imagine they are only in the golden oldies business?

Sam Elliot is an excellent actor and a bankable star for westerns because audiences like his films and respect the authenticity of his performances. Maybe you need to catch up with the here and now.

These are three sturdy westerns, superior to many of the backlot B westerns of classic studio days. You Know My Name is a factual biopic about real-life western lawman Bill Tilghman who wrote eloquently about his experiences and whose life has been documented by historians. Elliott drew on that research to make this film. Rough Riders is an historical epic biopic about Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders. Both are well written, artfully directed by directors who understand westerns, and professionally produced. Neither is cheap. These are not hack films. You Know My Name had a budget of $11 million, while Rough Riders was produced on $22 million, I'm told.

The Sam Elliott Collection offers three westerns infinitely superior to that piece of junk remake 3:10 to Yuma. I could understand your disdain if you applied it where it is deserved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users