Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Capote/In Cold Blood * Gandhi * Kramer vs. Kramer (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,921 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 06:56 AM

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Presents Four Oscar®-Winning Classics For the First Time in High Definition

CAPOTE / IN COLD BLOOD
GANDHI
KRAMER VS. KRAMER

Featuring the Incomparable Talents of Academy Award Winners
Sir Ben Kingsley, Sir David Attenborough, Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Chris Cooper and More!

On Blu-ray™ High-Def February 17th

Blu-ray Disc™ Special Features Include Compelling Documentaries,
Picture-in-Graphics, Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes and Audio Commentaries

Culver City, CA (XX/XX/09) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates four Academy Award winning films with definitive high-definition Blu-ray Disc releases just in time for the 2009 Oscar Telecast: a Capote / In Cold Blood two-disc double feature for $54.95 SLP, Kramer vs. Kramer for $28.95 SLP and a special two-disc edition of Gandhi for $39.96 SLP all arrive on Blu-ray on February 17, 2009. Collectively, the titles have garnered 13 Oscar wins and boast a myriad of talented actors and directors, including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Chris Cooper, Catherine Keener, Sir Ben Kingsley, Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Steep, and the directorial talents of Oscar winners Sir David Attenborough, Richard Brooks and Robert Benton, as well as Oscar nominee Bennett Miller.

Capote & In Cold Blood Synopses

Based on events that inspired American writer Truman Capote to pen the groundbreaking bestseller “In Cold Blood” - the non-fiction novel about the tragic 1959 murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas - Capote looks at the five years the author spent in Kansas and the relationship he developed with murderers Richard Hickock and, specifically, Perry Smith. The film delves deep into the psyche of Capote, who unexpectedly forges a deep emotional connection with the death-row inmates while writing a book based on the senseless killings. In his book, Capote knows the murderers must die in the end, and he struggles to come to terms with this realization. Philip Seymour Hoffman[1] (Synecdoche, New York, Almost Famous) flawlessly portrays the brilliant and eccentric author, earning an Academy Award® for this role. He is supported by a dynamic cast that includes Catherine Keener (An American Crime, Being John Malkovich) as Harper Lee, the Pulitzer-Prize winning author and Capote’s true-life companion, as well as Oscar®-winning actor Chris Cooper[2] (Adaptation.) and Bob Balaban (Gosford Park). The film was directed by Bennett Miller (The Cruise).

The special Blu-ray Box Set will also include the 1967 film In Cold Blood, a literal interpretation of Capote’s novel, adapted and directed by Oscar®-winner Richard Brooks[3] (Elmer Gantry) and starring Richard Blake (TV’s “Baretta”) as Perry Smith and Scott Wilson (The Ninth Configuration) as Richard Hickock.

The two-disc set will also include a compelling documentary about the life of Truman Capote entitled Answered Prayers, the same name as the unfinished tell-all novel that Capote started in 1958 and which was published posthumously as “Answered Prayers: An Unfinished Novel.”

Additional special features include a two-part documentary on the making-of Capote and two audio commentary options, one with star Philip Seymour Hoffman & director Bennett Miller, and the other with Miller and cinematographer Adam Kimmel (Lars and the Real Girl, New York, I Love You).

Blu-ray Disc Special Features:
Answered Prayers – a documentary about Truman Capote
A two-part featurette on the “Making-Of”
Making Capote, Part 1
Making Capote, Part 2
Audio commentary with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Bennett Miller
Audio commentary with Bennett Miller and Adam Kimmel

Blu-ray Catalog #: 30265
Blu-ray UPC Code: 043396302655
Blu-ray SLP: $54.95

Gandhi Synopsis

Winner of eight Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Gandhi chronicles the remarkable life of Mahatma Gandhi, who led a nonviolent resistance movement against British colonial rule in India in the early part of the 20th century. The biographical film shows Gandhi’s rise from a small-time lawyer to the country’s spiritual and political leader in the quest for India’s independence. Starring Sir Ben Kingsley[4] in the title role, for which he won an Oscar® for Best Actor, and a league of award-winning actors including Candice Bergen (TV’s “Boston Legal,” Starting Over), Shakespearean actor Sir John Gielgud[5] (First Knight, Arthur) and Trevor Howard (Sons and Lovers, Mutiny on the Bound), the epic film was directed by Sir Richard Attenborough[6], who won an Oscar® for Best Director for Gandhi.

Exclusive to the Blu-ray Disc is a picture-in-graphics track called “Gandhi’s Legacy,” which illuminates different topics pertinent to the film: “The Calm and the Storm” (A Historical Perspective); “A Legacy of Images” (Pictures of the real Gandhi and associates); “The Mahatma’s Path” (Map of Gandhi’s Travels); and “Father of the Nation” (From Gandhi’s Writings).

The Gandhi Blu-ray Disc is full of historical extras, including four vintage newsreel shorts – “Gandhi's
Farewell Talk in Europe,” “First Talking Picture Ever Made By India's Famous Leader,” “Mahatma
Gandhi Begins Death Fast” and “Gandhi Goes to England” - and 11 behind-the-scenes featurettes.

Additional special features include an interview with Sir Ben Kingsley discussing the life of Gandhi, as well as a Director’s Chair Chat with Sir Richard Attenborough about the casting and music choices for the powerful film.

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE: “Gandhi’s Legacy”- A Picture-in-Graphics Track with four different topics
“The Calm and the Storm” – A Historical Perspective
“A Legacy of Images” – Pictures of the real Gandhi and his associates
“The Mahatma’s Path” – Map of Gandhi’s Travels
“Father of the Nation” – From Gandhi’s Writings
Introduction by Sir Richard Attenborough
Director’s Commentary with Sir Richard Attenborough
Vintage Newsreel Shorts:
“Gandhi Trip to England”
“Gandhi's Farewell Talk in Europe”
“Gandhi Talks First Talking Picture Ever Made By India's Famous Leader”
“Mahatma Gandhi Beginning Death Fast”
Featurettes:
Looking Back – Cast and crew look back at the film and the Academy Award® ceremony, where the film won eight Oscars®.
In Search of Gandhi – Sir Richard Attenborough discusses the nearly 20-year journey it took him to have the film made.
Reflections on Ben – Cast and crew reflect on Sir Ben Kinsley as he prepared for the role and discuss memories of him during production.
Sir Ben Kingsley talks about Gandhi
Designing Gandhi – Oscar®-winning production designer Stuart Craig talks about three elements of set design from the film:
Building the Ashram
The Tent
Finding Trains
“Shooting an Epic in India” Featurette – Cast and crew discuss working in India and the challenges they faced as the production progressed.
Madeleine Slade: An Englishwoman Abroad – Sir Richard Attenborough and actor Geraldine James discuss Madeleine Slade, whom James portrayed in the film
The Funeral – Cast and crew discuss the recreation and filming of Gandhi's funeral. This scene holds the record for containing more extras than any other in film history (in excess of 250,000 people).
The Words of Mahatma Gandhi – Quotes from Mahatma Gandhi
From the Director's Chair - Two mini-featurettes where Sir Richard Attenborough shares his views on specific areas of production:
On Casting
On Music
The Making of Gandhi – A photo montage of behind-the-scenes stills

Blu-ray Catalog #: 15436
Blu-ray UPC Code: 043396154360
Blu-ray SLP: $38.96

Kramer vs. Kramer synopsis

The winner of five Oscars® (including Best Picture[7]), Kramer vs. Kramer is the story of two individuals, Ted Kramer (Dustin Hoffman[8] - Rain Man, Stranger Than Fiction) and Joanna Kramer (Meryl Streep[9] - Sophie's Choice, Adaptation.), trying to cope with the aftermath of their divorce. Ted is a workaholic executive who thinks he has a well-adjusted life…until he is informed by his wife that she is leaving their family to go to California to find meaning in her life. Ted is suddenly forced to face the responsibility of caring for their six-year-old son, Billy (Justin Henry), while balancing the demands of his career. Things are difficult in the beginning - he loses his job when he can't manage to balance his work and personal life, and he terrifies his traumatized son when he attempts to do the simplest housekeeping tasks. However, as time goes by, their bond begins to grow and Ted starts to feel safe knowing that his reasonable and accommodating neighbor Margaret (Jane Alexander) is there for them. But just when Ted and Billy get accustomed to life without Joanna, she resurfaces and wants her son back. Ted is not willing to give Billy back and hires tough attorney Shaunessy (Howard Duff) to represent him. And the bitter battle for custody begins. The film was directed by Robert Benton[10], who received an Academy Award® for Best Director for his work on Kramer vs. Kramer.

The Blu-ray version of this five-time Oscar® winning drama comes with a comprehensive featurette - “The Making of Kramer vs. Kramer,” which features cast and crew interviews, along with commentaries on how the script came about, how the casting decisions were made and much more.

Featurette: The Making of "Kramer vs. Kramer"

Kramer vs. Kramer has a running time of 105 minutes and is rated PG.

BD Catalog #: 29530
BD UPC Code: 043396295308
BD SLP: $28.95

[1] Best Actor in a Leading Role, Capote, 2006
[2] Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Adaptation, 2003
[3]Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Elmer Gantry, 1961
[4] Best Actor in a Leading Role, Gandhi, 1983
[5] Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Arthur, 1982
[6] Best Director, Gandhi, 1983
[7] Best Picture, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1980
[8] Best Actor in a Leading Role, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1980, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Rain Man, 1989
[9] Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1980, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Sophie’s Choice, 1983
[10] Best Director, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1980, Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Kramer vs. Kramer, 1980, Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly For the Screen, Places in the Heart, 1985

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 05 2009 - 08:36 AM

I'm definitely picking up Gandhi and the Capote/In Cold Blood double feature releases. Three great films. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 15 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 05 2009 - 09:50 AM

$54.95 for a double feature? Think I'll save my money for a Warner box set.

#4 of 15 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 05 2009 - 10:39 AM

Gandhi is a film I use a lot in my classes so I watch if frequently (it is not without its flaws as an historical feature film, but even the flaws are good fodder for discussion) so I will likely allow myself the pleasure of seeing it in its finest presentation (even if I have to hold onto the SD version for use in class).

The Capote set is also interesting (though a bit pricey at MSRP--I'll await the discount).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#5 of 15 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'll be pretty pissed if I have to keep my old SD-DVD of KRAMER VS. KRAMER just to retain the trailer...hopefully, that inclusion is just missing on this press release...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#6 of 15 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,021 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 06 2009 - 03:02 AM

It's probably accurate. Sony, for some unknown reason, has been ditching trailers of late. They even have taken to releasing special editions with no extras.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#7 of 15 Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 05:52 AM

I wonder if Gandhi is worth a double-dip?

#8 of 15 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 06 2009 - 06:52 AM

I watch it frequently (for work related reasons), so it will be worth it to me (who doesn't want a young Candace Bergen in hi-def?) but if it is only a rarely watched title (more than a year or two between screenings) OR if one is not overly picky about SD upconverted on smaller displays, it may not warrant a double dip. I'll await an RAH "review" as I've rarely disagreed with him and I'm not in a rush to double dip (it's not like the most recent release looks horrid on my gear) but I'm likely to get it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#9 of 15 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 09:27 AM

KRAMER VS. KRAMER is the only title here I'm insterested in, but since so many SD's have been looking great on my Blu-ray player, I wonder if it'd be worth upgrading my KVK SD? Besides, I rarely watch the film.

#10 of 15 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

Sounds like the price of VHS in the beginning (in early '80s dollars), and less than what I paid for 2 Image DVD features when DVD came out in the '90s.

#11 of 15 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
It's probably accurate. Sony, for some unknown reason, has been ditching trailers of late. They even have taken to releasing special editions with no extras.

They left the trailer on the I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER BD, so I'm holding out slim hope...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#12 of 15 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 06 2009 - 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Sounds like the price of VHS in the beginning (in early '80s dollars), and less than what I paid for 2 Image DVD features when DVD came out in the '90s.

Congratulations. I paid $89.95 for TARGETS in the early 90's. I believe my father told me he use to pay $20+ for a blank VHS tape.

It's 2009. I'm sure this double feature will be jumping off Best Buy shelves across the country. It might even get people to understand why they need to take the jump.

#13 of 15 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 09:32 PM

Wow- I'm suprised I'm not the only one irked about the missing Kramer trailer. It WAS a great trailer. I vividly remember the impact of that one as well as And Justice For All which was released at the same time. I'll still upgrade, but once again Bd represents something of an annoyance and inconvienence. I would love to sell off the DVD to subsidize the purchase- but since I need to keep it to retain something so basic and simple, I'll be pushing the purchase of the Bd further down the road (to whenever a good sale comes up).

#14 of 15 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 11:59 PM

Nice to see Sony release some classics on BD, did they run out of Martin Lawrence movies and direct to video sequels?

Unfortunately for me none of these are titles I'm interested in owning.

Maybe my luck will change with the next batch of Sony classics in 2010.
Death before Streaming!

#15 of 15 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 07 2009 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

At 30% off that works out to about $19 per feature, which is reasonable for BD. I'd rather see them issued separately, though.
Rich Gallagher

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow