-

Photo
- - - - -

Someone is using my address, and defaulting on school loans, etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,673 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 12:15 PM

For the past 3-4 months, I've been getting some letters from a Kentucky college loan organization, and the letters are addressed to a name I don't recognize at all (as it is neither mine or the former home owner's name, and I've been at this address for over 12 years). I've been letting these letters pile up, and then I get another letter addressed to this mystery loan defaulter, and it's from a collection agency.

So my question is: do I need to do anything about someone using my address when they apply for loans, etc.? Should I write back to the college loan organization and to the collection agency and tell them that this mystery person doesn't live at the address that have for him, and hasn't lived here for at least 12 years?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 30 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 12:32 PM

Can't you just give them back to the post office and tell them to return to sender?

#3 of 30 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,709 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 04 2009 - 01:00 PM

Use a red pen and write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS". Dump them back on the Post Office.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 30 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,726 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 04 2009 - 01:20 PM

Maybe the collection agency broke in and stole your stuff Patrick?

#5 of 30 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,553 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 04 2009 - 02:38 PM

How many mirrors did you break last year? Posted Image

Not knowing how collections work, my first inclination would be to call the college and talk to someone there, to let them know they have the wrong address.

Based on other threads on this topic, I fear you'll start getting phone calls from the collections agency.

#6 of 30 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
Use a red pen and write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS". Dump them back on the Post Office.

Don't bother to do this unless the mail is First Class or has an endorsement like, "Address Correction Requested".

Bulk or Standard mail just gets trashed, no matter what you write on it.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#7 of 30 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,673 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure these 2 parties have the wrong address, rather, they have been given a fraudulent address by this person, so that's the disconcerting part of this situation. I'll try giving both parties a call and let them know.

#8 of 30 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,108 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 04 2009 - 05:36 PM

Haha, like an incorrect address somehow protects anyone from repayment. I'd call the collection agency to make sure they don't try to stick you with any liability for the loans. I'm sure they'll track the mystery loan defaulter down themselves.

#9 of 30 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 07:13 PM

I have this situation occurring to me right now. Every once in a while I get a notice from the Toronto-Dominion bank for some dame that doesn't live here. The first time I got the letter I went to the bank and informed them that the person they were sending the letter to did not live at my address. I figured telling them would result in them getting their act together; however, I was wrong. They ended up sending me more notices addressed to the same woman. Now, I just throw them out. I figure if they are too stupid to stop sending me crap after I informthem then I have no obligation to do anything other than recycle their notices right into the garbage.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 30 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 05 2009 - 04:56 AM

It couldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know they're barking up the wrong tree.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 30 DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 05:14 AM

I'm sure these places have all heard the "so and so doesn't live here" excuse before. If you contact them, they will probably hassle you more, not less. As long as this isn't a case of identity theft, I'd file the mailings in the trash.

-Dave

#12 of 30 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,673 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 06:17 AM

I went ahead and called both places. The college loan organization just suggested that I write "Return to Sender" and "No one by that name lives here" on the envelopes. The collections agency just made a note that the person doesn't live at my address. I didn't give them my name during either of the calls.

#13 of 30 Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 02:24 PM

after your recent robbery troubles and this, you might pull your credit reports just to be sure (I get mine yearly anyway, its free) no one is doing identity theft.

#14 of 30 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 08:12 PM

I think most here are being overly cautious. Fact is, the letters are not addressed to Patrick so the idea that there might be ID theft is unlikely. Additionally, it's unlikely he will start getting phone calls, unless the person knew his phone number. Chances are some other person is getting the phone calls as the address and phone number were probably thought up on the spot.

Personally, I wouldn't have even bothered calling anyone over this issue unless the letters arrive certified. Phone calls are one thing, but mail can just be tossed in the recycle bin.

If anyone is interested in getting a credit report done (not a bad idea) beware of scam sites which make you sign up for something in order to get your reports. Here's the official site:

https://www.annualcr...m/cra/index.jsp

#15 of 30 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,944 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 05:47 AM

Plus, Patrick, I believe that here in GA it's the law that you can get two free credit reports per year.

#16 of 30 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 08:21 AM

I think you should just pay back his loans for him!

#17 of 30 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted January 07 2009 - 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
I figured telling them would result in them getting their act together; however, I was wrong. They ended up sending me more notices addressed to the same woman. Now, I just throw them out. I figure if they are too stupid to stop sending me crap after I informthem then I have no obligation to do anything other than recycle their notices right into the garbage.

To be fair, if your address is the only one they have on record, they have to keep sending letters to your address, as in some instances they may be obliged to give notice, and contractually they would usually be entitled to do so by sending it to the "last known address", even if someone (i.e. you) has since told them the person doesn't actually live there. This is especially so if they want to file suit and need to serve process.

#18 of 30 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 09 2009 - 02:55 AM

I think you're entitled to at least one free report per year from each of the three agencies, regardless of the state you live in. (Sounds like Georgia gives you an extra.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#19 of 30 Rachel P

Rachel P

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 05:33 AM

My neighbor is using my address. I tried writing "Does NOT live here" on them, and was told that was illegal and was tampering with mail! Wow! So, I now just walk in and dump them on the counter!!!! I contacted the Fraud department and nothing happened except I pissed off the local post master by reporting them. They KEEP delivering mail to these people with my address on there! My husband is Ex military and now receives Veteran benefits. Half the time we dont receive notices or utility bills! Today I reported them to the sheriff's dept and to the 911 administrator. Still keeping my fingers crossed. I also noticed that your credit report and the Soc. security admin show who all lives at your address!! I was also told the welfare system can also tell who all is at the address. Im tired of looking for bills and military records and info AND hoping to catch the UPS or fedex man for our packages. IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!! Good luck! I'll take any advice on all of this, too!!!

#20 of 30 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,612 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 06:33 AM

Do you know why your neighbour is doing that Rachel?

And welcome to the forum, BTW!

You were right filing a complaint: while it could be excusable (more or less) for the postman to deliver a letter addressed to your neighbour to a mailbox bearing his name, even if the address (as on the letter) is incorrect strictly speaking, it is totally inexcusable to deliver a mail correctly addressed to you or your husband to the wrong mailbox.

Period.

And, about the other angle: are you "on speaking terms" with your neighbour? What do they have to say about this?

Cees

Forum Nav Content I Follow