What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Burn after Reading -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Burn after Reading, a return by the Brothers Coen to their "idiot" genre, follows a bunch of likable loons around Washington DC and environs for 96 entertaining minutes.

The folks in Burn after Reading are not people that one should consider inviting home for dinner, or marrying one's eldest daughter.

Can following idiots around for 96 minutes be entertaining? If the guides are the Coens, yes.

BaR is good escapist entertainment, brought to Blu-ray as a quality disc. Will this film be discussed in fifty years. Probably not. But for the moment, get it while it's hot on pretty Blu.

RAH

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well I certainly respect your opinion Robert but this movie
is a rental before a purchase especially a blind purchase.

The Loons of this movie are hardly likable and there isn't much
entertaining in this movie except for David Rasche and J.K. Simmons
and their Government idiot characters.

Even John Malkovich was barely tolerable as a, well whatever it was he was supposed to be.

the whole movie seems to be nothing but a set-up for a
bad punch line that is the very last scene of the move.

the punch line was funny, the joke was poorly executed.

I really enjoy about every single Joel and Ethan Coen film, this one just
doesn't work for me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a decent enough film. Another bit of weirdness from the Coens. There were a couple of turns in the film that I found mildly surprising. Whether the characters were likable or not is debatable, but I will agree that they were loony.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RAH, this is the first time I have ever disagreed with your opinion
of a film. This was pure torture to watch. Except for a single scene
involving a chair, not one funny nor interesting moment was to be
found. A total waste of two hours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this film during its theatrical run and liked it a lot, typical Coen Brothers. I will buy the BRD when I can find it on sale.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I noted, IMHO this is not by any means a great film, but rather, an interesting moment in the occasionally odd Coen pantheon. Following the direction of a filmmaker's work can be extremely interesting as they hit different genres and styles through their careers. This is NOT Oh, Brother..., and may well be strictly for followers of the Coen's work.

IMDB reports the budget at 37 million, and opening US weekend at 19.1, and a worldwide gross at 139. Someone is going to see it, possibly based upon cast.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is what I've been saying to the renters who ask at my video store.

Also many people say they're renting because it has a lot of good actors.

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I enjoyed this movie. Yeah, it wasn't as good as other Coen films but it was still enjoyable. Brad Pitt was awesome in his role.

It was better than the supposed "classic" Bonnie and Clyde...

As for the disc, I thought the PQ was pretty good. I thought I saw a bit of EE but it may have just been in the source and an effect from the filming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Coen Brothers films are not for everybody. Matter of fact, you will have diverse opinions among fans of the Coen films that might like No Country for Old Men, but don't care for Fargo as examples.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Give it a rest. Or at least go back to the Bonnie and Clyde thread and address the many responses to your initial critique.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I highly enjoyed this movie. The girlfriend...not so much. She didn't dislike it, it just didn't resonate with her. I can see how this film may polarize even die-hard Coen fans.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If you go into this movie expecting to respond to jokes and punchlines you are not going to get the comedy you expect. Everything that made me laugh in this film related to the character's attitudes, responses,reactions, obsessions and behaviors. My biggest kick was laughing several times and I didn't even know why, which almost never happens.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought this film was very funny at times, and am glad to have added the Blu-ray disc to my collection. Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris!

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Honestly. It's tired and troll-worthy. It's one thing to take a stand and defend your position in the appropriate thread, it's another to just keep throwing one-note darts all over the forum for no apparent reason.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I rented this one on Blu, and the wife and I both enjoyed it. I tend to agree w/ RAH and others who enjoyed it. Certainly not a must-have in my collection, but I'd consider picking it up at some point if it hits the bargain bin or something. :D

_Man_

HDGeorge

Auditioning
Real Name
George Miller
Thanks Robert...I'm hoping to rent this on Blu-ray within the next week or so. Same with No Country...

George

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Blu-Ray looks nice and the movie clearly is not for everybody, but then which film is ?

I am looking forward to watch it more than once as that is what made Intolerable Cruelty kind of grow on me, I have a doubt though that this will be the case with BAR.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I went in with no expectations and enjoyed this tremendously. For me it was a breath of fresh air compared to the by-the-numbers focus group driven crap that Hollywood usually churns out.

I consider it one of the best films of 2008 (so far).

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Wow, overall a lot of mixed reactions. Can't wait to see it personally. Having seen most of the Coen's (No Country For Old Men is also on my list) they've yet to disappoint me. Intolerable Cruelty weren't bad, but less good than the other films.
Is it more in line of The Hudsucker Proxy? That one is also underrated, and I absolutely loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks