Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A Study in Terror

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 11:17 AM

My brother told me this was coming out as part of a twofer. No ideas as to second feature. Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks!

PatH

#2 of 33 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,967 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH
My brother told me this was coming out as part of a twofer. No ideas as to second feature. Has anyone else heard or read this? Thanks!

PatH
Haven't heard, but since Sony owns the rights and is currently releasing two-fer DVD's (even on Blu-ray), there might be something to the rumor. Hope so. Fine film. I had the laser, but Columbia (along with Paramount) had some of the worst-looking laser discs in the early years of the format, and doesn't look much better than VHS, so I would welcome even a standard def DVD. What would it two-fer with, though? Is there something more currently (i.e. popular) that would benefit from the addition of a Sherlock Holmes film from 1965?

#3 of 33 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted January 03 2009 - 01:55 AM

Of course the best double feature would pair this with 1979's virtual remake , MURDER BY DECREE. But that is owned by Lion's Gate. If Sony were to release A STUDY IN TERROR on a double feature it would more likely be with 1988's THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN because actor John Neville starred as both Holmes and The Baron in both films.
More likelyA STUDY IN TERROR will be released as a single disc in the wake of Thanksgiving release SHERLOCK HOLMES

#4 of 33 Martin Welch

Martin Welch

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted January 04 2009 - 06:41 AM

Couldn't Sony pair it with 10 RILLINGTON PLACE?

#5 of 33 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 02:11 AM

I'd consider whatever it's paired with gravy to get this fine Holmesian flick Posted Image. Hope the rumors are true.

I don't know about the Downey Jr. Holmes film, but if it gets more Sherlock on DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) I'm all for it.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 33 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,967 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 04:51 PM

Any more rumors about this release? Sony has been cranking out the catalog stuff of late, so I have my fingers crossed.

#7 of 33 JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 06:05 AM

Posted Image

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Therefore, you are sitting on my pipe."--Sherlock Holmes (John Neville) from A STUDY IN TERROR (1966) screenplay by Donald and Derek Ford based on an original story concept by Donald and Derek Ford inspired from the characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, directed by James Hill.

I would be content if A STUDY IN TERROR (1966) were made available on its own along with the original theatrical trailer.

What a brilliantly imaginative idea pitting the great (literary) detective against the actual infamous Whitechapel slayer as both come from the selfsame historical period (roughly the late 1800s) innovatively bridging fiction with history.

Perhaps there is still some outstanding Hammer Films horror screen classic that could appropriatedly augment such an intended doublebill DVD set.

I would even settle for THE SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1961) as the companion feature!

Jeff T.

#8 of 33 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 13 2009 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT.
Posted Image

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Therefore, you are sitting on my pipe."--Sherlock Holmes (John Neville) from A STUDY IN TERROR (1966) screenplay by Donald and Derek Ford based on an original story concept by Donald and Derek Ford inspired from the characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, directed by James Hill.

I would be content if A STUDY IN TERROR (1966) were made available on its own along with the original theatrical trailer.

What a brilliantly imaginative idea pitting the great (literary) detective against the actual infamous Whitechapel slayer as both come from the selfsame historical period (roughly the late 1800s) innovatively bridging fiction with history.

Perhaps there is still some outstanding Hammer Films horror screen classic that could appropriatedly augment such an intended doublebill DVD set.

I would even settle for THE SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1961) as the companion feature!

Jeff T.

Sony has just released The Sword of Sherwood Forest (plus Rogues of Sherwood Forest and The Bandit of Sherwood Forest) in the UK; it's a fair bet that they'll be getting a R1 release sooner rather than later.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 33 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 06:23 AM

Sony, PLEASE use this poster as the cover art for the DVD release!
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#10 of 33 BradleyS

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 06:41 AM

There's a listing for a Sony DVD of STUDY IN TERROR available for pre-order from Amazon with a list price of $19.94. No release date, though.

#11 of 33 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:35 PM

I can't wait for this to be officially announced!

Sony sure is firing on all cylinders!!!

#12 of 33 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 02:38 AM

I really like John Neville as Holmes in this. I still have the laserdisc and a R2 release but I will certainly purchase the Sony R1 release.
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#13 of 33 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,967 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:39 PM

I realize that Sony's home video arm (under new management, I would guess) is really cranking out the catalog titles again, but I am skeptical of this release, even though Amazon has it up for pre-order. Is there any corroborating evidence that A STUDY IN TERROR is truly coming out?

#14 of 33 sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker

Sony, PLEASE use this poster as the cover art for the DVD release!

Agree, as it's pretty retro and classic, it fits well in the theme.

#15 of 33 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Is there any corroborating evidence that A STUDY IN TERROR is truly coming out?

I can't offer any, but it doesn't seem too unlikely, considering they'll probably be tying this into the theatrical release of Robert Downey Jr's Holmes movie.

#16 of 33 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,512 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:44 AM

Looks like it could be a Martini Collection, so do not count on a great cover.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 33 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,967 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 04:02 PM

Personally - and I know I'm in the minority - I couldn't give a rat's %#@ what the cover looks like (I see nothing but spine most of the time, and can always make a different cover if I really want to) - I just want the movie.

#18 of 33 James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 10:53 PM

And to be fair, the poster is rather misleading!

#19 of 33 BradleyS

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:11 AM

Deep Discount lists an November 10 release date.

#20 of 33 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'Tiger' Lee
And to be fair, the poster is rather misleading!

If memory serves the film was released when the Adam West Batman was big on the small screen and the poster was done that way to try and get the kiddies interested. I snicker at the "original caped crusader" bit. Posted Image
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow