Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

BVHE Press Release: Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,179 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 08:44 AM

Walt Disney MARY POPPINS 45TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION A Timeless Disney Classic that Spans Generations Celebrates its 45th Anniversary with More Magic and Music Available on 2-Disc Special Edition DVD January 27, 2009 Packed with Hours of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" Bonus Features, including an all-new, exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the hit Broadway show Burbank, California, October 31, 2008—Practically perfect in every way, the world’s most famous nanny touches down on rooftops everywhere when Mary Poppins: The 45th Anniversary Edition arrives on new 2-disc Special Edition DVD January 27, 2009 from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Dazzling animation, groundbreaking special effects and award-winning music earned Mary Poppins five Academy Awards®, including Best Actress and Best Song. The new two-disc DVD features hours of captivating bonus material, including the all-new “Mary Poppins: From Page to Stage”, a fascinating feature that takes audiences backstage for an exclusive look at the making of the Tony Award winning musical, and “Step in Time,” a never-before-filmed musical number performed by the original Broadway cast—also downloadable as an MP3 audio file. Bonus materials also include the ultimate "behind-the-scenes" movie documentary and reminiscences of the film’s stars and legendary composer Richard Sherman. With its revolutionary blend of live action and pioneering Disney animation, Mary Poppins became an instant hit and was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar®. The film stars the incomparable Dame Julie Andrews, who won the 1965 Best Actress Academy Award for her film debut, and Dick Van Dyke as Bert, the dancing chimney sweep. Songwriting brothers Richard and Robert Sherman (Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) received Oscars for Best Song ("Chim Chim Cher-ee"), and Best Score, which includes such unforgettable numbers as "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," “Sister Suffragette," "The Life I Lead," "The Perfect Nanny," "A Spoonful of Sugar," "Jolly Holiday," "Stay Awake," "I Love To Laugh," "Feed the Birds," "The Fidelity Fiduciary Bank," “Step in Time" and "Let's Go Fly a Kite." Based on the popular children's stories by P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins has won the hearts of generations of kids and their parents with its enchanting tale of a magical nanny who changes the lives of two rowdy but neglected kids with determination, discipline and “Just a Spoonful of Sugar.” Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) takes Jane and Michael Banks (Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber) on magical, musical outings including a play date with adorable animated penguins, a race through the country side on merry-go-round horses and a trip across the rooftops of London on a stairway made of smoke—and always gets them home in time for dinner! With her foolproof mixture of good manners and unpredictable fun, Mary not only introduces order to the chaotic Banks household, but brings the whole family together in the process. BONUS FEATURES Backstage Disney Disney on Broadway • Mary Poppins from Page to Stage —First a beloved children’s book, then a classic movie and now a smash hit Broadway musical! Fans can follow the story of Mary Poppins from page to stage as the creative team and cast prepare to take the long running show on tour. • Step in Time—The Broadway cast of Mary Poppins performs the never-before-filmed number “Step in Time” from the show. • Step in Time – A downloadable MP3 featuring the Broadway cast of Mary Poppins singing “Step in Time,” featuring Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins and Gavin Lee as Bert. • Video Intro By Scenic & Costume Designer, Bob Crowley • Bob Crowley’s Design Galleries—Concept art, costume designs, set designs and set models for the Broadway musical • Audio Commentary—Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Karen Dotrice and Richard Sherman recall the making of Mary Poppins. • Poppins Pop-Up Fun Facts—Select this option and fun-filled facts about the creation of this classic film pop up during viewing. • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: The Making of Mary Poppins—The definitive behind-the- scenes look at how this unique and beloved film came into being. • Movie Magic—A look at the special effect techniques used to bring the magical world of Mary Poppins to life. • The Gala World Premiere—Footage from the Red Carpet. • Dick Van Dyke Make-Up Test • Trailers, Ads and More from the Original Release and Reissue of the Film • Mary Poppins Still Art Galleries Music & More • Disney’s Song Selection—The whole family can sing along to “A Spoonful of Sugar,” “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and any of the film’s other memorable songs as the lyrics pop up on screen. Each song can be selected separately or while watching the film. • Magical Musical Reunion—Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke and songwriter Richard Sherman eminisce about making Mary Poppins and the music that makes it so special. • A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman —A delightful magical journey through some of the film’s locations with co-composer Richard Sherman, who reveals surprising secrets about the music of Mary Poppins along the way. Bonus Short • The Cat That Looked at a King—Live action and animation bring a chapter of P.L. Travers’ Mary Poppins Opens the Door to life! Julie Andrews takes viewers into a magical animated world created in the style of the whimsical chalk drawings in Mary Poppins. Deleted Song • “Chimpanzoo”—A reconstruction of a song that did not appear in the movie using original storyboard and concept art, accompanied by a new rendition of the song performed by co- composer Richard Sherman. Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition has a suggested retail price of $29.99 (U.S.) and $35.99 (Canada). STREET DATE: January 27, 2009 PRICING US: $29.99 SRP /Canada: $35.99 SRP Feature run time: Approx. 139 minutes Rated: G Technical specifications may only apply to feature Aspect ratio: Original Aspect Ratio 1.66:1 Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Languages: French and Spanish Language Tracks and Subtitles Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 09:34 AM

they should call it "the useless broadway promotional tie-in edition"

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 11:49 AM

At only $13.99 on Amazon for the 40th version, it seems like a no-brainer to skip the broadway fluff and retain all the meat. I'd say this was a missed opportunity except that the last release was so good there really was no need to bother again.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted December 31 2008 - 04:32 PM

Yawn. Disney dipping once again in the SD waters. No Blu-Ray = No Sale.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,831 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2009 - 12:00 AM

That's how I see it too. The next time I buy this title it will be on BRD. I don't need a third SD DVD release of Mary Poppins in my collection in 2009. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 01:02 AM

I've never owned the film, but even I am taken aback that this isn't coming out on Blu-ray as well. It's interesting that some of us are really starting to hold back and we feel "what's the point of SD DVD-ONLY anymore". "No Blu-ray = No Sale" is a good rule of thumb these days for popular films which you just know deserve a High Def release, and which are likely to see one in the near future.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 01 2009 - 01:41 AM

A bit off topic but Mary Poppins is showing today in NYC at Lincoln Center (Walter Reade Theatre). A 2 for 1 with a David Fincher film as part of a David Fincher retrospective. Fincher hand selected films that had a significant influence on his work. Chinatown is playing on January 3rd.

Film Society of Lincoln Center

Separate from this retrospective, Playtime is showing in 70 mm on January 5th. I've seen this in 70 mm at the Walter Reade Theatre and can say it is spectacular.

Happy New Year Everybody!

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 07:35 AM

This is a wasted opportunity for Disney, I guess we will have to wait for the 50th anniversary for BR.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,197 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 01 2009 - 02:37 PM

However, if the 5.1 mix is an improvement over the DEHT abomination on the 40th anniversary disc, it may be worth the upgrade.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 01 2009 - 05:06 PM

..and if it has only the same DEHT 5.1 mix, but does not also include the quite nice/actually listenable 2.0 mix from the previous release, that may be worth advising everyone we know to avoid it at all costs. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,179 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 09:37 PM

This was a missed opportunity for Blu-ray. Would have bought it immediately.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 02 2009 - 04:57 AM

Agreed, the 2.0 mix is quite fine. IIRC, this was one of the first Disney Enhanced Home Theatre mixes released. You think they would have paid attention to how it sounded. What a debacle. I can't imagine that anyone could listen to that mix and approve its release. It sounded like it was recorded through a rain gutter.

Hopefully the sound mixer and his supervisor responsible for the DEHT 5.1 mix are already trying other professions. Perhaps gutter cleaning. Posted Image

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 06:52 AM

Although I'm disappointed that there is no news of a blu-ray yet, I'm glad they will not release this last problematic print on blu. Considering the amount of restoration and care that went into the Sleeping Beauty blu-ray release, I think we can be fairly certain that Disney will do another restoration / rebuilding on the picture and sound for Mary Poppins before it gets an HD release. Not only is the sound awful on the 40th Anniv, let's not forget about the color issues of the print versus the beautiful raw footage that was included in the extra features. It was rumored here a few months ago that Disney may be in the process of re-assembling the film from it's raw elements. That's something I've been hoping for ever since I saw how pristine and pure the original unedited footage is. All colors are perfect - no longer with a gray hue. The faces all look clean - no unusual brown make-up tinge. There is an especially dramatic difference in the Jolly Holiday scenes. Another good reason for rebuilding the film from the original elements would be to showcase Peter Ellenshaw's artwork in finer detail.
Chris

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 02 2009 - 10:53 AM

I'm all for whatever can be done to improve things but if those rumors are the case and those efforts are not part of the 45th year edition, that would only make it more of a black mark on Disney. They should just wait and get it right.

As far as the featurette you are referring to, I would agree that some characters do look a bit odd in the feature film compared to the featurette but as far as the colors go I think the released feature film looks good, capturing the chalk drawing visual element well.

Featurette Horse

Posted Image

Feature Film Horse

Posted Image

Featurette Pond

Posted Image

Feature Film Pond

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,566 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 02 2009 - 11:51 AM

10:1 the transfer is the same as before. This seems like a pretty blatant re-packaging, not an actual new release.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 12:16 PM

I'm sorry but I don't care what the BD transfer looks like when they screwed with the entire color scheme of the film and took artistic liberties like they did. The new Sleeping Beauty is a disaster and if you've seen comparison caps, fares much worse than the previous Platinum Edition release!

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,831 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 02 2009 - 03:00 PM

So Sleeping Beauty is a disaster and have you seen the Blu-ray presentation? Forgive me, if I don't agree with you nor those so-called film experts that back up their complaints with comparison caps, but without any actual historical data to support their claims except it doesn't look right to their eyes based on previous home video releases that might have been in error to begin with due to technological limitations.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,075 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 02 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm sure animation fans will forget all about the Sleeping Beauty 'disaster' when Pinocchio comes out and is quickly declared the worst atrocity in the history of humankind. Then whatever release follows that will be even worse, etc.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,197 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 02 2009 - 04:26 PM

Ain't that just the way? Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your comparison shots, Rich. That is not the featurette I'm referring to though. I'm talking about the features that show the raw unedited footage.

Here are some comparisons I've captured:

Posted Image

You'll notice that in the Jolly Holiday raw elements there are no artwork backgrounds of course. These would have to be re-assembled in a reconstruction:

Posted Image

In this next one you can easily see the difference in the look of skin tones and contrast on the faces. For some reason when they originally combined the elements together for the final film it took on a hard look. It looks awash with grey hues as well when compared to the raw footage :

Posted Image
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users