Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to make a Denon 2808 child proff?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   olddog

olddog

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 29 2008 - 01:21 PM

How can I or can I make it so the kids can play their WI, or PS or just watch TV (Samsung 52" HD DLP) without turning on the AV unit? I still want to use the PS3 to watch Blu-Ray in all it's glory and soundPosted Image
There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 29 2008 - 02:16 PM

You could hook up additional audio/video connection's from the PS3, Wii or SAT/Cable box straight to the tv then you're kids wouldn't have to turn on the receiver at all. But they may have to change inputs on the tv.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog
How can I or can I make it so the kids can play their WI, or PS or just watch TV (Samsung 52" HD DLP) without turning on the AV unit? I still want to use the PS3 to watch Blu-Ray in all it's glory and soundPosted Image

Use the various inputs on the back of the tv(component/S-video and audio inputs) to hook the units straight to the tv. The pickup on off the Harmony or similar universal remotes that allow you to setup activities and program it for each device and its corresponding inputs.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 01:37 AM

I only have wii and it's hooked up video and audio on the extra input of my tv (mitsu).

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 05:34 AM

If the children are above the reading comprehension age, just get a Harmony remote. You can set up activities such as "Watch a DVD" or "Play Wii" and the Harmony will set up each component for that activity just by pressing a single button. Even if it gets screwed up, the easy to use help menu asks a series of questions that gets it back to normal. Using the surround sound with a Harmony is just as easy as using the TV speakers, so there is no need for "child proofing", plus wives/girlfriends like it too.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   douglas-b

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted December 30 2008 - 07:42 AM

I agree...my Harmony is so easy my father can use it and that is saying something. (sorry, dad but....Parents just don't like all that technology...programing vcr's and such)

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   olddog

olddog

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 01:26 PM

Well Thanks everyone I guess hard wiring the system so the little ruffeons 5,7,13 ,can do what they do now (turn everything off and on at the source) is out and the universal remote is in. Which one would you reccomend model to if you please.$$$$ there is a hole in Daddys ear where all the money goesPosted Image
There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog
Well Thanks everyone I guess hard wiring the system so the little ruffeons 5,7,13 ,can do what they do now (turn everything off and on at the source) is out and the universal remote is in. Which one would you reccomend model to if you please.$$$$ there is a hole in Daddys ear where all the money goesPosted Image

The best one you can afford. If you want a color screen, rechargeble, or RF, you have to go for the upper levels. I personally have an 859 B&W screen battery model that cost around $80 years ago and you would have to pry it from my dead hands to get it away from me.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 30 2008 - 04:38 PM

Since it's for the kids I'd recommend the 670. The buttons are larger and there's fewer of them so they are spaced farther apart. Good for little hands. Here's a link to a factory refurb on Ebay. I have no experience with this seller. New one's go for $90-130. Harmany 670
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

Forum Nav Content I Follow