Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Satellite Internet Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted December 28 2008 - 08:59 AM

I need a little input on the subject of satellite internet service.

I'm about to move into a new house in the country and I don't have access to cable internet and I doubt DSL is available. I'm going to check on the DSL before I get into the satellite option.

Does anyone here have satellite internet and if so what are your experiences? Which one do you have? (Hughesnet and Wild Blue are the two obvious - maybe only - choices.)

I wouldn't mind trying either one to see how they work but if I understand correctly you have to sign a 2 year contract with them and if you're not satisfied I guess you're just stuck.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,798 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 28 2008 - 04:36 PM

You might also check with local ISPs and see if any offer wireless broadband which is much cheaper and faster than satellite. You can also check into wireless cards from your cell phone service provider (assuming you have a cell phone). If you are in a high enough speed area, you may try that route. Also, depending on what type of cell phone you have and your service speed, you may be able to use your phone as a tethered modem which can range in speeds from 250k to 512k, depending on your network.