Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

25' long HDMI & Component cables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 01:12 PM

I been reading about cables and understand the bogus hype for expensive cables.
I need to run 25' of HDMI and 25' of component cables through wall.
On Monoprice they have
22 AWG $35 and $55
24 AWG $22
26 AWG $17
Am I better off getting the more expensive $55 for a 25' foot run or will the cheaper $17 give me the same great picture?

They have the Component for $10 and $30. Are the more expensive cables for a 25' run going to make any difference?
Thanks,
Dan

#2 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,059 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 27 2008 - 02:36 PM

Since you are running them in-wall, you need to pick the ones that are CL3 rated. If they are all rated for in-wall, then it doesn't matter on the digital cables. You get a picture or you don't. For the analog I would go with the larger cables for piece of mind. I normally build my own cables.

-Robert

#3 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 27 2008 - 05:34 PM

When I buy cables from Monoprice I always buy the Premium/Professional one's. The quality of the parts/components is clearly better and they're really not that much more expensive. Especially since you will have them for a very, very long time.

All Monoprice Premium hdmi cables are CL2 rated except the 28 g which are not rated for in-wall. Check your building code to see if CL2 is acceptable for your installation before buying.

As for component cables, for a 25 ft run I would go with the better cable. It's also CL2 rated.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 4 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thanks guys. I bought a stripper and compression tool for coxial, I never thought about making the componet cables myself. Seems like too much work.
I went ahead and ordered the more expensive cables, overall small price to pay.
Dan