What's new

Audio delay on Samsung 650 LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

dibl

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hello All,

I have a Samsung 650 LCD TV. I find that the audio coming out of the line out jacks in the back does not sync with the audio coming out of the speakers on the TV. My wife prefers to watch with a combo of audio coming from the TV and the assist of the stereo. However, the two audio streams are out of sync (there's a slight delay which creates an echo effect). Moreover, if we turn off the audio on the TV and just use the stereo, the video is out of sync with the audio (it looks like a lip sync problem on a dubbed movie).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know what I can do about it?

-- David

HD-fan

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I have the same problem. I called Samsung, and their solution was: Turn of the TV speakers. Ridiculous.
does anybody have a solution to this issue that doesn't involve throwing out hundreds of Dollar's worth of Audio equipment?

dibl

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Mike,

I've read other forums on this subject. Seems like a defect in the software for the LN 650A series. One person suggested trying the digital audio out and seeing if that was any better.

Samsung's suggestion that you turn off the TV speakers is a work-around for the echo effect but does not solve the lip sync problem. In other words, it's not a solution at all. Samsung should release a software patch to fix this problem.

-- David

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Some A/V receivers have adjustments to correct the out of sync problem.

I have a different but similar problem where the HT system set up in my family room. Cable to HDMI Receiver to HDMI to TV is totally out of Sync both Audio and Video to a small LCD TV in my kitchen connected directly to cable. You cannot have the two TV's sound on at the same time.

I assume the difference is the extra processing of the cable box and A/V receiver in the family room.

BlameTom

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Buxton
Hi,

This same problem had been bugging me when I bought my LE37B650, everyone suggested adjusting the delay time on my AV amp but unfortunately mine does not have this function.
Anyway I finally fixed the problem using the following steps

Before you start make a note of your menu settings as you will have to reset them after this procedure

Turn off the TV then press Info -> Menu -> Mute in sequence then turn the TV back on again. This will get you into the secret Service Menu. Go straight to the AUDIO page of the menu. Don't be tempted to fiddle with things in service menu cos you can end up in a right old pickle!

In the AUDIO page you willl notice that there is a time delay set for the internal speakers of 100ms but for some reason this is not set for the external output so all you need do is dial in a 100ms delay there and that should sort the problem. Well it fixed it for me.

Note that as soon as you enter the service menu, all your other standard menu settings are lost and the screen will be set to dynamic for some reason so you have to go through and change everything back after you have done this.

Hope this Helps

gamcl

Auditioning
Real Name
george
This is a brilliant fix that works! Now the analogue audio out is in perfect sync with the tv sound. Thanks for the info. The samsung tv manual even tells you that the sound may echo "due to the decoding speed difference" but doesn't give a fix. Thanks Tom - no blame.

Jpongrass

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Pongrass
Hi!

I'm glad that this 'fix' worked on the Samsung LCD TV. I hope someone out there has a similar 'fix' for LG LCD TV owners. I just purchased a LG 42LG70ED with DVR and have the same lip-sync problem. I receive signal from a satellite dish since I live in China and wish to watch American programs.

I also have another problem! I can't seem to program a date, time and station to record a program unless I leave the TV on the same station as the program I want to record.

Unfortunately, the programing does not have a program guide.... Hopefully, someone has an answer to this dilemma... Both as a matter of fact...

By the way, I am an American....

Thanks in advance,
Jim

DiamondDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Harris
Thanks for the excellent information... I have a similar problem with my setup except my synch delay issue occurs when I play DVD's. It seems that the Surround Audio Signal sent to my Home Theater amp processes faster than the audio/video signal sent to my 46" b650 Samsung LCD TV causing the same out of synch issue discussed in this thread. I was originally using composite cables to send the DVD stereo audio and video signal to the TV and the optical out for sending the DVD surround audio to my amp. This caused the echo effect and when the TV audio was turned down the major synch issues were obvious... I tried a new Samsung DVD player and HDMI hookups and nothing improved.
After trying every possible combination of hookups, I have minimized the problem by sending only the video signal to my TV using the Component cables and sending the audio signal through the coaxial cable to my audio amp. There is still a minimal synch issue but it is much better now (not perfect but probably unnoticable to the average eye).

Hope this info is useful ...

-Paul

BlameTom

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Buxton
Yeah, I had the problem with DVD's too. You can fix it by running the sound from the DVD through the TV and applying the 100ms delay in the service menu using the method in my earlier post but unfortunately this results in your amp only recieving 2 channel sound from the TV, which is obviously not ideal.

I put up with this for a while but eventually I ended up buying a sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player which has an audio sync setting so you can attach the AV reciever directly to the player using optical/coaxial connection and just dial in the required delay setting in the audio menu on the blu-ray player. I'm sure some other makes will have a similar setting too.

I think that most AV recievers these days (just not mine) have an AV sync setting too so you might not need to replace the DVD player at all (unless you want to play blu-rays too of course ).

DiamondDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Harris
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the advice...I absolutely LOVE my Amp and Surround Sound setup as it currently is and wouldn't want to change it. The sound is unbelievable! I've checked the manual thoroughly and the amp doesn't have a global synch feature (it does have delay option settings for the center and rear speakers but not the front or sub). The DVD player could definately be replaced so thanks again for sharing the info about the Sony blue-ray player with audio synch feature... that is the solid answer I was hoping for!
Have a good one,
Paul

German19246

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Kopecky
Dear Tom,

I'm very glad you posted that fix. I received my le55b650 just á few days ago and was really upset in regard to the audio delay. I contacted the samsung support but they just gave the advice to use an av-receiver having a delay function. No information like yours.

It makes absolutely no sense for me to set a delay for the internal speakers and not for the audio out.

Unfortunately I have gone into the wrong sub menu, which seemed be adjusting the hdmi signal. Not knowing how to leave the settings I just turned off the tv. I'm not sure, but I have the impression, that the screen is a bit darker now. Even after re-adjusting all picture settings in the main menu.

Is there a function to re-set all done changings in the secret service menu? Or do you know how to brighten the picture at all?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ron

BlameTom

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Buxton
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure I'm afraid.

I don't think there exists a "set everthing back to default" setting in the service menu because the purpose of the service menu is kind of to create defaults in the first place before it leaves the factory and so that service engineers and calibration experts can make semi permanent changes to the set.

I just make sure that I don't change anything in there without knowing exactly what it does and without making a note of the setting it was at before I change it. I've only ever needed to change the speaker output delay setting.

I guess all you can do is, if you remember which setting it was that you were tinkering with then go back in and change it till you are happy with how the screen looks. my guess would be that if you were messing with the hdmi signal settings you may have adjusted the black level i.e. the level of grey that the TV will accept as "black". Brighness intensity ranges from 0 to 255 and the depending on the input the tv needs to know whether to just take 0 as black an averything above that as a shade of grey or whether to, say, accept anything below 15 as black or whatever. There is a setting in the main menu for this called HDMI black level which has just two settings although I suspect that there may be more fine control over this in the service menu.

Remember as well that entering the service menu resets all your main menu picture settings anyway so it could be that you just haven't reset all your normal settings back to how you had them before.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert at samsung TV's and my advice again is to not fiddle with things in the service menu without at least making a note of what they were set at before. Sorry I can't be much more help, Hope you manage to sort out your problem.

Regards

Tom

Farley72

Auditioning
Real Name
mc
Hi there,

I'm suffering from the same problem, LE37RB88. I could get into the service menu, which was great. Unfortunately there was no audio menu. I looked through all the options but couldn't find the audio delay settings.

If anyone can help, I would REALLY appreciate it. Right now my lovely new surround sound cannot be used for TV audio as after about 30 mins the sound gradually gets to about >1 second delay!!

Thanks for any help,

Farley

NeedAdvice

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi,

I have a Samsung LE32B530P7W, I have only had it for like 3-4 days now and noticed the audio delay it is annoying.
Bare in mind I am not using any external speakers/subs/amps at the moment and just using the internal speakers on the tv.
I have tried the fix mentioned here and changed the audio delay from 60ms(default setting) to 100ms.
I guess it has fixed it as it seems a lil better now but I won't know until I properly watch something later on.

I am using this as a monitor for my pc and using the HDMI port at the back connected to the dvi port at back of pc.
Audio wire is just your average line-in type of wire, 3.5mm jack is it? Sorry I am not too sure but its definetly not optical or spdif, although I do have Spdif support on my sound card which is a Creative Audigy Z 2 but I dunno which wire to get for it as people mentioned it will be coaxial but I think thats not in use any more?

anyhow I am looking for some advice on how to fix or perfect the audio on the samsung tv that I have and just see if there is anything else that can be done?

I used to have a dell 26inch HD Tv before and never had any problems. I always thought samsung were good but dunno why it has let me down :(

I like watching a lot of movies and tv when i get time so my main concern is the audio delay.

Please help :(

tommcmanus96

Auditioning
Real Name
thomas d. mcmanus
Dear Tom Buxton (Blame Tom), I read this input to the forum and have been trying to use it with my new(3 months old ) Samsung LN55B 650 HDTV but I am not getting the secret service menu. Will this work with the 2009 Samsung LN55B 650 TV? My TV has the software version T-CHEAUSC-1016.1 installed. In your forum you say press Info- > menu->mute in sequence then turn TV back on. I even tried unplugging TV and and then pressing the info but no service menu. Is there another way for my TV?

BlameTom

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Buxton
Hi, I only found out about the service menu for the LE37B650 by googling for the Service Manual for my TV. I'm not an expert on Samsung TV's in general but I imagine that a similar procedure will be possible for your TV.

Being a 650 model, I'm surprised that the keypress sequence is not the same to enter the menu as on my TV. Make sure you are not pressing the buttons at the same time. You don't need to press them particularly quickly either (and when I say turn the tv off I just mean press off on the remote so it goes into standby, not off at the mains). If you still can't get into the menu then I suggest you do a thorough google search for the service manual for your TV model (it was quite hard to find mine but it was there). The service manual will tell you everything you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks