Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official VALKYRIE Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted December 26 2008 - 02:46 AM

Saw this one last night. I haven't been paying much attention to the reviews but I understand they're mixed. Personally, I thought this was an excellent film in every regard.

Having written a thorough research paper on von Stauffenberg for my senior year of college I'll admit, Tom Cruise seemed like a very odd choice for this particular lead. His iconography doesn't seem to allow for a seamless blend into a historical piece such as this.

But my doubts were alleviated almost instantly as Cruise allows us to feel every drop of disillusionment in von Stauffenberg's psyche. It's in his demeanor, his inflections and in his dialogue. Cruise pulls it off masterfully.

What really makes this film, though, is Bryan Singer's masterful approach. It's like a two hour suspense setpiece seemingly constructed around the old Hitchcockian adage about showing the audience the bomb under the table. Valkyrie movies at a very fast pace, tightening its noose around its audience so that, even if we're prepared for the ending, we're still hoping for a different outcome.

Singer's talent has been obvious for a long while now, but his recent film is one of the most suspenseful I've seen in many years.

Sure this might now be Oscar material, but who cares. It's excellent filmmaking. Exciting, suspenseful and haunting.

My hat is off to the entire cast and crew for a job very well done. Valkyrie is one film I'll be picking up on Blu-ray as soon as it's released.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted December 26 2008 - 07:13 AM

I just got back from seeing "Valkyrie". I was one of those that was apprehensive about this movie, especially the casting of Tom Cruise. After a few minutes of seeing him on the screen, I forgot I was watching Tom Cruise. The supporting cast was stellar. The July bomb plot has always been of interest to me so I was pleased that the important historical details were nailed down pretty accurately. Watching "Valkyrie" was like watching "The Day of the Jackal", I knew how the assassination plot would end, but the ride to get there still kept me at the edge of my seat.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,032 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 26 2008 - 10:56 PM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Valkyrie". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted December 27 2008 - 09:58 AM

I was also hesitant about seeing this one due to mixed reviews, but WOW, what an incredible story!!! By far, the best movie I've seen this year!Posted Image Screw rottentomatoes!! Great directing, acting, story, suspense, action--I really have nothing bad to say. I look forward to getting this one on Blu-ray.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,122 posts

Posted December 28 2008 - 12:23 PM

I was a little bored by this film (sure, it didn't help knowing the outcome) especially in the first half, but I think it's a combination of so-so directing, and a script that isn't that interesting. The pacing of the film also felt abrupt at times, and the sprawling size of the cast did little to provide a good enough hook for me to fully engage my attention given the stakes of the operation that would unfold in the film. The script just isn't strong enough to elicit a lot of suspense from me. See it at a matinee if you're a WWII history buff. I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted December 28 2008 - 04:01 PM

A terrific cast and a fantastic script make for a riveting film. I enjoyed it immensely. Thrilling entertainment. ****.5/*****
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted December 29 2008 - 07:29 AM

I really enjoyed it. I don't care for Tom Cruise's personal life, but I'm able to ignore that and enjoy the movie. He did a great job.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 02:25 PM

9.5/10 A great historical suspense thriller. Even though you know the outcome, the film is still suspenseful. Bryan Singer is simply one of my favorite directors working today.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   David Sal

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 01:41 AM

Enjoyed it from start to finish!! The Wagner record shot!!! WOW This is great filmmaking. Can"t wait for the Bluray.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,781 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'm with Chris here....this is a well done film by Bryan Singer. I do have a few gripes though. Some of the accents don't quite work for me but I was able to get past it early. But we have American & British speaking generals in the German Army? Maybe I need to refresh my WWII history. Posted Image

I think it took awhile for it to hook me in but it did.

Cruise remains one of the best actors around that just seems to make you believe.

8.5/10.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted January 07 2009 - 01:38 AM

That was my biggest concern going into this -- no german accents. I forgot about it 3 minutes in -- just plain good storytelling. A well performed and directed thriller.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users