What's new

Rise of international TV (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I have to admit, I find myself really drawn to quite a few programs which air in foreign markets. Thanks to the internet, Hulu, options to buy foreign channels on DirectV, BBC US, and even networks airing second foreign shows a season behind.. it's all good.

I've found I'm a big fan of these:

Top Gear (BBC)

IT Crowd (Channel Four)

Satisfaction (Australian SHO)

Life on Mars (UK Version)

Blue Murder (UK)

Secret Diary of a Call Girl (UK)

Kitchen Nightmares (UK - which is WAY better then the US version)

Am I alone? It's always good to see what the others around the globe are watching, and surprising how much I lvoe some of it.. IT Crowd, Top Gear, Secret Diary.. some of the better shows anywhere on TV.. thank god the first two have not seen their US version (yet) and the third has stuck with the british production re-aired on Showtime...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Top Gear, IT Crowd and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares are all must watch TV for me. Top Gear might be my favorite show of all-time. :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh, and don't forget about the original "Office". I love the U.S. version, but the original might be the best comedic television ever made.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Matt Stryker said:
IT crowd is a riot - we get a few UK shows in Mexico thru syndication. Is there a way to watch it in the US other than buying the season dvds?
Only if you can find lots of friends that recorded it and have each of them send you little bits of the file that you reassemble at your end, over the internet. (is there a whistling, tongue-in-cheek, eyes to the sky, winking smiley?)
Or even have real friends over there to record it and send you copies: a DVD pen pal. I have a buddy that does just that. He sends them US shows and they send him UK TV: unfortunately they are using BetaMax tapes to do it. His UK buddy is too cheap to buy a DVD recorder and he's too cheap to by a DVD player that can play PAL. (it doesn't even have to be hacked for multi-region since self recordings are not region coded.)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Another fan of The IT Crowd (my wife loves the show as well). I also got hooked on the AUS version of So You Think You Can Dance (the CAN version flopped for me, but that might have been SYTYCD fatigue after finishing the US version).

I watched both seasons of Extras before they hit HBO.

IFC is airing the IT Crowd. I think it's season one.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You can catch IT Crowd on IFC here in the US (it's on Season 2 now) and Season 3 you can catch on Channel4 direct via Satellite (yes, the tradition BUDs) ..
But you can watch eps here:
The IT Crowd | Watch Online | Free Catch-Up on Channel 4 Shows
For some reason, if I try at work, it automatically says "Not in the UK or Ireland" but at home, where I have two connections, it lets me pass right through and watch full eps. Sweet!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Promos (Legit to post) of some of these shows:
Satisfaction:

It Crowd:

Top Gear:

Secret Diary of a Call Girl:

I'll add another.. if "Heroes" was as good as BBC's "Merlin" has been...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Here's the one I want to see: Pluton BRB Nero. Sadly, I think the odds of a Spanish-language series coming to the US are pretty slim, even if writer/director Alex de la Iglesia has a cult following and has done some English-language work.
(Speaking of de la Iglesia, his entry in Spain's Films to Keep You Awake series of TV movies was really good - that series also fits, being a sort of Spanish Masters of Horror with better production values)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Jason Seaver said:
Here's the one I want to see: Pluton BRB Nero. Sadly, I think the odds of a Spanish-language series coming to the US are pretty slim, even if writer/director Alex de la Iglesia has a cult following and has done some English-language work.
No chance of it coming to Telemundo or Univision?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I suppose there maybe. This would not help me much, as I don't speak Spanish (do those networks routinely subtitle in English?).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I grew up watching a lot of uh... international TV, from Brazilian soap operas to German cop shows (the lead of the venerable Derrick just died.)
I wonder how a cable channel dedicated to foreign shows like that would do stateside.
--
H

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I once.. uh.. got a hand on the French and German version of the Office, but without subtitles they weren't comprehensible.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
One very good program "Derrick" (see post 16)- There wre cirka 280 one hour programs and was exported to many other counries with local audio. I think it has been shown in Canada (but not US) and in England. This show is coming out onto DVDs but with german audio. As the ZDF program had german subtitles. the later subtitles may come on the later DVDs.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_(TV_series)

I have seen via google that this series has been shown in Australia - can anyone there comment? Were there DVDs made there?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks