Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM Press Release: Yentl Extended Director's Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,996 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 04:35 AM

NOTHING’S IMPOSSIBLE YENTL EXTENDED DIRECTOR’S EDITION Barbra Streisand’s Golden Globeâ Award-Winning Musical Odyssey Debuts on 2-Disc DVD for the First Time February 3 from MGM Home Entertainment “Three cheers for chutzpah!” Richard Corliss, Time “…charming and moving...” Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times “Streisand gives Yentl a heart that sings and spirit that soars.” People Magazine “The best directing debut since Citizen Kane!” Steven Spielberg LOS ANGELES, CA – In turn of the century Eastern Europe, a Jewish girl disguises herself as a boy in order to pursue a religious education in Yentl, available on DVD for the first time February 3rd from MGM Home Entertainment and timed to the films 25th Anniversary. Starring multiple award winner* Barbra Streisand (A Star Is Born, The Way We Were), Golden Globe® nominee** Mandy Patinkin (“Chicago Hope,” The Princess Bride) and Amy Irving (Traffic, Crossing Delancey) in her Academy Award®-nominated role, Yentl is based on a play by Leah Napolin and Isaac Bashevis Singer’s original short story “Yentl, the Yeshiva Boy.” When Yentl’s (Streisand) father (played by Nehemiah Persoff), who secretly tutored her throughout her childhood in the Talmud – the primary source of Jewish religion law - dies, she faces a life of female drudgery with no hope of continuing her studies. Frustrated by her feminine destiny, feisty Yentl transforms herself into looking like a boy, renames herself Anshel, and heads for the nearest Talmudic academy where she hopes to pass as a male student. There she falls in love with fellow student Avigdor (Patinkin), who in turn is in love with Hadass (Irving). After numerous complications ensue, Yentl, determined to get what she wants, leaves Europe for America to pursue her dream of serious study without needing to hide her identity as a woman. Incorporating humor and music to relate Yentl’s journey, the film won an Academy Award in 1984 for best original score and received four Oscar nominations including Amy Irving for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Art Direction/Set Direction, and Best Original Songs including “Papa, Can You Hear Me?” and “The Way He Makes Me Feel,” both sung by Streisand. Additional accolades include two Golden Globe award wins and four nominations, and a Grammy Award nomination for Best Album of Instrumental Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special. The Yentl Extended Director’s Edition Two-Disc DVD set includes never before seen bonus features such as Barbra Streisand’s Original Concept Reel, rehearsal/final film comparisons, storyboard montages for musical numbers, deleted scenes, and much more, and will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada. Prebook is January 17th. * Oscar Awards: 2 wins (A Star is Born, Funny Girl); Golden Globe Awards: 3 wins (Yentl, A Star is Born, Funny Girl) ** 1995: Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series - Drama, “Chicago Hope;” 1984 : Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy/Musical, Yentl Synopsis The legendary Barbra Streisand shines as producer, co-writer, director and star of this radiant film about a young woman who risks everything for her insatiable passion to learn. Masquerading as a young man, she enters the Yeshiva to fulfill her forbidden desire for knowledge. But in a place where even the strongest mind can be betrayed by the body, how long can she uphold her secret before her new friends – and the young man she’s come to love – discover the shocking truth? Special Features The Yentl Extended Director’s Edition DVD is presented in widescreen with English Dolby Surround 5.1 sound. Special features include: Disc One: · Streisand Introduction #1 (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition) · Commentary with Barbra Streisand and Executive Producer Rusty Lemorande (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition) · 11 Deleted Scenes (Anniversary & Collector’s Edition) Disc Two: · Barbra Streisand’s Introduction to Disc 2 (Collector’s Edition) · Barbra Streisand’s Original Concept Reel (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition) · The Director’s Reed (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition) · Rehearsal/Final Film Comparisons (Collector’s Edition) · Where is it Written? Rehearsal (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition) · Where is it Written? Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · No Wonder Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition) · No Wonder Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · The Way He Makes Me Feel Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition) · The Way He Makes Me Feel/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · No Wonder – Reprise Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition) · No Wonder – Reprise Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · Tomorrow Night Rehearsal (Collector’s Edition) · Tomorrow Night Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · Will Someone Ever Look at Me That Way? Rehearsal/Final Film Comparison (Collector’s Edition) · Storyboard Montages for Musical Numbers (Collector’s Edition) · Deleted Number: The Moon and I (Streisand Introduction included) (Collector’s Edition) · Deleted Number: Several Sins a Day (Collector’s Edition) · Papa, Can You Hear Me? (Collector’s Edition) · A Piece of Sky (Collector’s Edition) · Tomorrow Night (Collector’s Edition) · Teaser Trailer · Theatrical Trailer · Photo Gallery Yentl Price: $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada (Extended Director’s Edition) Order Due Date: January 17, 2009 Street Date: February 3, 2009 Catalog Number: M111776 (Extended Director’s Edition) Total Run Time: 133 minutes Rating: PG Screen Format: Widescreen Subtitles: English/Spanish Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,663 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 27 2009 - 04:17 PM

So what's the deal with this release? Is there only one DVD edition coming out, or two? Amazon, DVD Empire, and DVD Pacific only have the $29.95 2-disc special edition, DeepDiscount and DVD Planet only have the $14.95 1-disc, and Tower.com has both!

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,566 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 02:19 AM

There is only one release. Amazon originally had a 14.99 MSRP 2 disc edition which they were selling for $8.99. They cancelled all preorders of this edition saying the release was cancelled. They then showed the $29.99 2 disc edition which they are currently selling for $19.99.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Marco S

Marco S

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 03:09 AM

I can remember this being released on laserdisc. I think Criterion --Is this the same commentary? There was some sort of controversy when the disc was announced or released. Wasn't there a CAV and CLV version?? Anyone remember???

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 05:33 AM

The commentary controversy was with Criterion's PRINCE OF TIDES, wasn't it?
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 05:51 AM

I was one of those who pre-ordered the $8.99 Yentl at Amazon. If Yentl is going to be released, it would have been the better practice to honor the outstanding orders for what ever is released. Remember, it is Amazon that make of point of their pre-release price guarantee, presumably to encourage sales. This charges my feelings about Amazon and I'm going back to Barnes and Noble and DeepDiscount.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,456 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 02:45 PM

This came out last week - and is no longer available anywhere, as far as I can tell! Did it go out of print already for some funky reason? Streisand discs seem to do that... Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,568 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 03:42 AM

Most curious, Colin. I checked deepdiscount, dvdempire and dvdplanet and all of them had "out of stock" or "temporarily sold out" regarding Yentl. I suspect either there were shipping problems or the demand exceeded the stock available ... which does sound unlikely ...

Didn't Streisand demand a recall on all the Prince Of Tides laserdiscs at one time because she wasn't satisfied with something?

Anyway, I got my copy at Best Buy last Tuesday and it's a great set for fans of the film.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 12:37 PM

Amazon shows the title only available used. There was no indication it was out of stock or there being a hyper-link to be notified when it comes back into stock.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 01:42 PM

One of the comments on Amazon suggests that the DVD is defective. The poster said they received a copy which wouldn't play properly and that the replacement copy they received had the same problem. There has to be something up with this release, as it isn't available anywhere ad it was only released a week ago.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,456 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 02:14 PM

My copy played just fine...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 02:22 PM

My copy has no problems.
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,568 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 06:23 PM

Ditto here, played just fine on my player.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted February 12 2009 - 02:37 AM

My copy played fine. However, at the menu screen, my player made the same rumbling noise heard on my three defective copies of Fox's recent Alfred Hitchcock box set. So I suspect a similar problem exists here for some people.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,027 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted February 12 2009 - 05:35 AM

I know this a thread on Yentl but can someone tell me why Runaway Train still hasn't gotten the DVD it deserves? It is the single most important title I want to re-introduce to my collection so that I can finally consider it complete
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 06:52 AM

saw this at Borders at 57th st NYC

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   mona_r

mona_r

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 02:38 AM

the last time i went by Amazon the 2 disc directors edition was available. If you havent seen it yet check out this exclusive clip just to tickle your curiosity!!!

YouTube - Yentl - Barbra Streisand - Mandy Patinkin Angry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users