Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

17, er, 18 children "and counting"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 06:17 AM

Um, this family, having 17, er 18 kids for this reality TV show?

Is anyone else vaguely disturbed by this?

I can barely afford to support myself. Is this family super rich or something? (Do they sell these excess children? Rent them out?) Any clarification would help. Maybe this is a great thing and I just don't see it?

Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 06:55 AM

According to their website, The Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family | Official Website , both mom and dad are real estate agents. I don't know much about them, but they must be quite good at what they do because they built and paid cash for a 7000 square foot home.
It seems that they manage day to day life by having a massive chore list where the older kids take care of the younger ones with mom and dad coordinating everything.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:13 AM

The family is very religious and obviously birth control is against their belief system. I personally see nothing wrong or disturbing. My dad grew up next door to a family that had 22 and were far less able to care for them than this family. Not my personal choice, but live and let live.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:45 AM

Every sperm is sacred,
Every sperm is good.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate!

Posted Image

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:53 AM

"I'm out" Posted Image
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 22 2008 - 09:22 AM

It's "Every sperm is great!" You know, rhymes with "irate!"
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 11:33 AM

Have you noticed that ALL of the childrens names start with the letter J.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 12:25 PM

Me mind's made up. I've given this long and careful thought, and it has to be medical experiments for the lot of you. (On a serious note, ego knows no bounds for some folks).
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

I am glad we got some smiles from this madness!

Happy holidays, all! Please use birth control.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 02:11 PM

This one was on either Leno or Conan (can't remember which).

Normally the kids are home schooled, but they had to stop that because of classroom overcrowding. Posted Image

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,627 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 01:03 AM

it's not a clown car....
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   MichaelBA

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 01:09 AM

Micah is Democritus reincarnated: Having children is dangerous: success is full of trouble and care, failure is unsurpassed by any other pain.
He's got the bit between his teeth... all right!

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 03:42 AM

I'm one of twelve children that my parents had between the years 1959 and 1979. 9 girls, 3 boys. Today I have over 20 nephews and nieces, and this number gets larger every year. We all paid, and continue to pay, for our parents' decision to have so many kids. However I wouldn't trade it for any other childhood and the experiences were valuable. I learned to be self-reliant since my parents didn't have much time or money for us. I learned not to get too attached to material things. It was great being a kid and always having other kids around that I could play with. And I took care of my younger siblings when I got older and learned valuable skills. Today I have two kids of my own and they love having so many cousins, aunts and uncles. I'm stopping at two kids so I can provide better for them than my parents provided for us. If money were no object, I might have maybe one more kid. Any more than three I think would be too overwhelming for me as a parent, given that I like to spend as much time as possible with my kids.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 04:10 AM

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On one hand, if they can properly parent and take care of 18 children financially, kudos to them! From what I have seen these children seem to be well behaved, well mannered and seem to all get along with eachother. Personally, I don't think my uterus could handle popping out 18 kids, so close in age. That women has been pregnant constantly! I can't imagine how her body feels. Sometimes when I see these large families, I think how nice it must be to always have people around, but I also feel like there has to be times when these kids feel like they have no privacy, no personal attention from parents or sometimes even completely ignored. It's hard parenting 2 kids, I cannot imagine trying to parent 18. I like my small family of 4 + a dog. When we decided to have kids, we made the decision that I would stay home and raise our kids, instead of putting them in daycare or with a babysitter so I could work. I love being around my kids, hanging out with them and having quality time with them seperately or together. They are both well behaved, well mannered and so far I think my husband and I have done a kickass job raising them. For me personally, 18 would have been too hard.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,857 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 23 2008 - 04:22 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,585 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 04:25 AM

I can see having that many kids in the past. To help on the homestead, farm etc. But in my opinion it's irresponsible in today's environment. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that people like this are collectors and have issues. Just the same as the ones that adopt 20 kids or have 50 cats. And from the shows I watched, they have this air about them that they are better than everyone else for having so many kids. And like Adam mentioned very cultish.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 05:36 AM

My gramp had about as many kids. He did have 4 wives (concurrently) to share the load. Rural Africa being what it is, a couple of the kids died in infancy. I have A LOT of cousins. -- H

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 11:41 AM

Vaguely disturbed is a good way to describe my feelings. Nothing against the family, haven't even seen the show except a passing glance at a commercial. Don't agree with the Chinese one child policy, but you can also go to extremes in the other direction. Even if you do have the means to provide for this many children, the world does have a finite set of resources, food, water, fuel etc. and this family is going way beyond what I consider their fair share of those resources. Five or more normal sized families could live fine on the infrastructure and other systems that provide for basic modern living. From previous posts it also sounds like these children may enter adult life with a pretty warped, unrealistic view of things.
Stan

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm vaguely disturbed by some things (like the Hitler thread for instance), but this ain't one of 'em...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users