Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: The Robe (DVD/Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 of 89 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,768 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 05:04 AM

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX’S FIRST CINEMASCOPE
FEATURE FILM DEBUTS IN HIGH-DEFINTION

THE ROBE

SPECIAL EDITION

Hollywood Icon Richard Burton Stars In The Oscar Winning Faith-Based Epic
Debuting On DVD And Blu-ray Disc March 17th

Loaded With All-New Special Features Including Special Introduction By Martin Scorsese, Composer And Historian Commentaries, Behind-The Scenes Featurettes & Isolated Score Track --Plus Over Two Hours Of BD Exclusive Content Including Picture-in-Picture Vignettes, Vintage Celebrity Interviews, CinemaScope Featurette and More--

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – A cinematic masterpiece centering on one man’s ultimate test of faith and overall quest for redemption, THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION arrives on newly restored DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) March 17th from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. An extensive restoration process that took over a year and half to complete, the newly restored edition of THE ROBE was a collaboration between Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive and The Film Foundation, the leading non-profit organization dedicated to film preservation founded by filmmaker Martin Scorsese (who provided a film print from his personal collection that was used to aid the restoration process). The first film ever released in CinemaScope, THE ROBE was nominated for five Academy Awardsâ including Best Picture, Best Actor (Burton) and Best Cinematography, taking home two Oscars for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. Academy Award-winner Richard Burton (Equus, Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?) stars as Marcellus Gallio, a Roman centurion whose life is forever changed when he win’s Christ’s robe in a gambling game at the foot of the cross. Directed by Henry Koster (Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation, Stars and Stripes Forever), the film boasts outstanding supporting performances from Jean Simmons (Hamlet, The Happy Ending), Victor Mature (My Darling Clementine), Jay Robinson (My Man Godfrey) and Richard Boone (The Big Sleep, Samson and Delilah).

Arriving in celebration of the Easter holiday, THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION DVD and BD is loaded with all-new bonus materials including a special introduction from Martin Scorsese, commentary by film composer David Newman and film historians and a behind-the-scenes featurette; plus the Blu-ray Disc is highlighted by over two hours of BD Exclusive content including picture-in-picture vignettes, in-depth featurettes such as The CinemaScope Story, vintage celebrity intros and much more. THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION will be available on DVD for a suggested retail price of $19.98 U.S. / $21.98 Canada and on Blu-ray Disc for $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada.

Synopsis:
One of the best Biblical epics of all time, based on a best-selling novel by Lloyd C. Douglas, THE ROBE tells the story of a Roman centurion named Marcellus Gallio (Burton) who is sent to Jerusalem, charged with overseeing the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Marcellus, a cynical and hardened man, wins the robe Jesus wore to the crucifixion while gambling with other Roman soldiers. He later becomes convinced that his hallucinations and violent outbursts are the result of a curse received from the robe, which is now in the possession of his escaped slave, Demetrius (Mature), somewhere in the Middle East. He sets out to find Demetrius in order to destroy the robe and the curse and finds faith instead, converting to Christianity.

DVD Specs:
THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION DVD is presented in the “Fox CinemaScope Version” widescreen format (2.55:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 Dolby Surround, English 4.0 Dolby Surround and French Mono plus English and Spanish subtitles. DVD bonus features content includes:
∆ Introduction by Martin Scorsese
∆ Commentary with Film Composer David Newman and Film Historians Jon Burlingame, Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
∆ The Making of The Robe featurette
∆ The Music of The Robe: Alfred Newman’s Score isolated music track
∆ Still Galleries
∆ Interactive Pressbook

Blu-ray Disc Specs:
THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION Blu-ray Disc is authored in BD-J with AVEC (MPEG 4) compression on a dual-layer 50GB disc presented in the “Fox CinemaScope Version” widescreen format (2.55:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Digital and French/Portuguese Mono plus English, Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean subtitles. The BD includes all of the above standard-def DVD special features, plus the following BD-exclusive elements:
∆ Introduction by Martin Scorsese (in HD)
∆ Vintage Celebrity Introductions by Richard Widmark, Susan Hayworth, Robert Wagner, Clifton Webb and Dan Dailey
∆ The CinemaScope Story featurette
∆ From Scripture to Script: The Bible and Hollywood featurette
∆ BONUSVIEW picture-in-picture mode:
o The Robe Times Two: A Comparison of Widescreen and Standard Versions
o A Seamless Faith: The Real-Life Search for The Robe featurettes
§ Inspiration
§ The Clothes of Christ
§ Clothes in Biblical Times
§ Clothes of a King
§ A Seamless Garment
§ The Robe on Page & Screen
§ The Robe and Politics
§ The Robe in Our World
§ The Robe in France & Russia
§ History vs. Drama
∆ Audio Interview with Screenwriter Philip Dunne (1969)
∆ Movietone News
o CinemaScope Hailed by Public and Press
o Broadway Hails The Robe in CinemaScope
o The Robe (Christian Herald Award)
o Millionth Patron Sees The Robe
o CinemaScope and The Robe Win Oscars
∆ Trailers / TV Spots
∆ Poster Gallery / Lobby Cards

THE ROBE: SPECIAL EDITION
Street Date: March 17, 2009
Order Date: February 18, 2009
Pricing: $19.98 U.S. / $21.98 Canada (DVD)
$34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada (Blu-ray Disc)
Catalog Numbers: 2258426 (DVD)
2257008 (BD)
Total Running Time: 134 minutes
MPAA Rating: NR
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 89 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,768 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 05:50 AM

Let me add something here.... I saw pieces of this restored version while out at Fox last October. The original film elements were in atrocious shape. What Sven Davison and his restoration team have accomplished is nothing short of amazing. The difference between the original elements we watched first, and the restored version were like night and day.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 89 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,543 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted December 22 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is a must have, but what happened to the complete flat version that was reported by some, as being included? The extras state scene comparisons between the 2 versions, but that looks about all we get. I know Joe Caps and others will be disappointed. Still, Fox are to be congratulated for all the work they have put into this important part of Screen History. I can still remember watching my local Cinema prepare for the big Cinemascope opening of THE ROBE. I watched in awe as they installed the big new wide screen and was curious when they placed these strange boxes high on each side wall.( What are they? ) All was revealed shortly after, when I took my seat on opening night and witnessed the beginning of a whole new world of Cinema. That was an exciting time to grow up in and who would have dreamed that so many years later that same thrill can now be had in the comfort of one's own home. Looks as if I will be back in the magical 50s again this March.

#4 of 89 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 10:13 PM

Really looking forward to this release!!

#5 of 89 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 07:00 AM

I don't think it was ever reported as being included. Most of us just hoped they would include both. It makes sense as Fox probably doesn't want to restore two different versions of the same title.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#6 of 89 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 07:58 AM

Waht a wonderful memory, Doug. Where was the theatre and what was its name? I have an old "Ideal Kinema "magazine somewhere recording the opening at the Odeon Leicester Sq which sets out all the alterations that were required there which is fascinating reading.

#7 of 89 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 10:48 AM

This is one of my Top 10 favorite movies. Posted Image This will be one of he first BDs that I'll watch when I purchase my Pioneer Elite 111FD in March. The anticipation is really intense. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#8 of 89 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 11:15 AM

It was, and, is, reported at foxclassics.com as "The Robe (CinemaScope and Flat version) 1953 / Dir: Henry Koster".

Fox Studio Classics - Coming Soon

Either way, great job Fox!!! I hope to be buying this one.

#9 of 89 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,543 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 11:22 AM

Thanks John, The Cinema was The Hoyts' CENTRE in Suburban North Brighton. (The Australian Hoyts Circuit was owned by Fox ) I would pass it every day, to and from School and as I knew the Manager, he would let me in to watch the preparations. The Hoyts' REGENT Theater in Melbourne was where I actually first saw THE ROBE. In those days there were 5 Cinemas close to my Suburban Home and I made sure that I attended the Cinemascope opening at every one of them. ( Fox & MGM ) The first night of Cinemascope at one of the lesser local Cinemas ( fondly known as the flea house ) was a moment I will never forget. As the curtains opened wide, the screen was left completely blank, but not to worry, because there was a beautiful Cinemascope image on the side wall. ( A Projectionist's Nightmare ) The movie that premiered on the side wall in glorious CinemaScope was Fox's NEW FACES. ( I would love to see that title appear on DVD or BD ) In those early days you knew that a CinemaScope subject was about to start because a staff member would walk down the aisle, enter behind the screen and start pulling the ropes that would creakily pull back the black masking. Quite often the masking would end up crooked and a mysterious black figure would emerge from behind the curtains to straighten things up. Oh Boy! such presentation. This new BD version of THE ROBE will certainly bring back happy memories to many people on this Forum. ps. Sorry for the self indulgent rant ;-)

#10 of 89 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 11:36 AM

Not at all, Doug. Very nostalgic. I heard that when the AP effects track came on in the theatre, you could always tell in advance because of their hiss levels. As I have only seen a few Scopes in the theatre with mag tracks, would be interested in your comments. I'm sure it won't be a problem on the BD!!!

#11 of 89 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,543 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 11:52 AM

Thanks again John. I must say that I don't recall ever hearing the hiss, but who knows, maybe it wasn't important to me at the time. The flying arrow sequence in THE ROBE was my first unforgettable effects track experience. Hearing the arrow wizz past was amazing. ( at last I knew what those side boxes were for ) There should be no problems with the sound on the BD.

#12 of 89 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 02:38 PM

LOWRY DIGITAL RESTORES "THE ROBE"

Considering the restoration, this is definitely another one of the titles I am looking forward to on Blu-ray.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#13 of 89 OFFLINE   Vern Dias

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted December 24 2008 - 01:36 AM

What happened was that they used a 12KHz keying tone to unmute the surround channel during any sequence that had active surrounds. While the audio chain was equipped with a 12KHz notch filter, I never experienced a theater where I couldn't hear the 12KHz tone. Probably because no one ever took the time to tune the notch filter properly. I never really heard any increase in hiss level because the speakers were mounted high on the walls. Vern

#14 of 89 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted December 24 2008 - 09:30 AM

Thanks.Vern. That explains what I heard. Won't be a problem on BD though!

#15 of 89 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 12:05 PM

It was nice to get a copy before the release date - but I won't be able to view it on the pj until tomorrow night - I hope it looks as good as I have heard.The 128" 2:35 screen should make any obvious problems more evident. I am really interested in the BONUSVIEW Picture in Picture Feature that compares the Widescreen to the Standard version.I should check it out on the tv tonight.

#16 of 89 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 04:41 PM

Watched one of the extra features - this one on CinemaScope. Running time was around 18 min. 26 sec. and it was very interesting - in 1080 too. Some clips from a handful of films shown as examples certainly looked to be in HD. Nice addition. I also gave in and watched The Robe on the pj and it looked pretty good overall. There were various scenes which were definitely softer, but whether that was a combination of factors I cannot say. I will have to leave that to those who know the film. I thought it had great colors and detail, all things considered - and factors such as lens quality, condition of the film and age - not to mention the first Scope movie must have contributed to some very soft "defocused" scenes - almost like third or fourth generation prints. It was mentioned that of the three lenses FOX purchased the one for the ROBE was softer but offered less distortion. The Seven Year Itch received an Anamorphic lens that was sharper. Lots of good information in the extra features.I'm sure Fox did what they could with it, and it is great to have it finally on blu ray.

#17 of 89 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the sneak preview!!

#18 of 89 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 07 2009 - 02:10 AM

Does it have the same highly directional dialog that the original DVD has?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#19 of 89 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted March 07 2009 - 01:02 PM

Regarding the dialog - it did not appear to be the case - whether it was one or more individuals it appeared to be quite open from both left and right - very easy to follow. I was not paying much attention but it certainly did not sound directional. Hope this helps. I selected the DTS 5.1 and I cannot comment on the optional 4 channel track offered.

#20 of 89 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 972 posts

Posted March 07 2009 - 04:18 PM

I'd bet the Dolby 4.0 track will have it, as Fox tends to use the Dolby tracks for the original mix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users