Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Barney Miller: The Complete Third Season

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,037 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 03:34 AM

Emmy Award® Winning Cop Comedy Series
Starring Hal Linden, Abe Vigoda, Ron Glass and Jack Soo

Barney Miller:
The Complete Third Season

All 22 Episodes Available in a Three Disc DVD Set on March 17

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 5, 2009) – Barney Miller: The Complete Third Season makes its DVD debut March 17 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The Emmy Award® winning classic ABC comedy series stars Hal Linden (TV’s “Search for Tomorrow,” The Other Woman) as everyone’s favorite cop, along with a top-notch ensemble featuring Abe Vigoda (The Godfather), Emmy Award® nominee Max Gail (TV’s “Sons & Daughters”), Emmy Award® nominee Ron Glass (TV’s “Firefly”), Jack Soo (Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Green Berets), James Gregory (The Manchurian Candidate), Ron Carey (History of the World: Part I) and Emmy Award® nominee Steve Landesberg (TV’s “Head Case”). Watch all 22 memorable episodes on your own schedule, in a three disc set available for $29.95 SRP.

Barney Miller premiered January 23, 1975 on ABC. During its eight successful seasons, Barney Miller was nominated for 32 Emmy Awards®, winning three -- Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Directing in a Comedy or Comedy-Variety or Music Series.

SYNOPSIS
This season, the trials and tribulations continue at New York City’s 12th Precinct in Greenwich Village. The detectives are quarantined at the police station with a hooker, a man thinks he’s a werewolf and wreaks havoc in a park, Fish (Vigoda) goes undercover, and everyone on the squad except Barney (Linden) gets high from hash-laced brownies baked by Wojo’s (Gail) new girlfriend.

BROADCAST YEAR: 1976 - 1977 (ABC)

DVD Special Features Include:
· Full Screen Presentations
· Audio: English
· Closed Captioned

Barney Miller: The Complete Third Season Episodes Include:

Evacuation
Quarantine - Part I
Quarantine - Part II
Bus Stop
The Election
Werewolf
Recluse
Non-Involvement
Power Failure
Christmas Story
Hash
Smog Alert
Community Relations
Rand Report
Fire ‘77
The Abduction
The Sex Surrogate
Moonlighting
Asylum
Group Home
Strike - Part I
Strike - Part II

Barney Miller: The Complete Third Season has a run time of approximately 553 minutes is not rated. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

DVD Catalog #28920
UPC Code: 0-43396-28920-8
Order Date: 2/12/09
SLP: $29.95

“Emmy®” is a registered trademark of ATAS/NATAS.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted December 22 2008 - 04:29 AM

This is a nice surprise . . . . every time I think this series is dead on DVD, it keeps coming back, so it apparently still has some legs.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 22 2008 - 07:53 AM

10-4, Bob. Go figure Sony....4-year wait between S1 & 2 and this one comes from a back alley in the 12th precinct Posted Image

Merry Christmas, Bob. I won't ask about the weather up there Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,212 posts

Posted January 08 2009 - 04:43 AM

I'm very excited about this. I've got this on my list to pickup the day it comes out.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,455 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 12:15 PM

I got S3 today and first off, thumbs down to Sony for the packaging. They've taken that single hub feature for their complete series packaging on Sanford and Son etc. and done it for this simple three disc set, in which they're all stacked on top of each other in a single hub which is not how I want to access these (I can understand that for a big complete series set, but not for something like this). Also, the Part 1 recap for "Quarantine" has been eliminated and Part 2 starts cold with the credits.

#6 of 21 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 18 2009 - 02:00 AM

That is really BAD! I saw it at Barnes and Noble yesterday and plan on buying it... I thought it was odd they used a standard size keep case with a slip cover... I fig it was easier to do what they did with season 2 ... I would complain direct to their website if possible or if they have a customer service phone # and tell them the discs are scratched and the case is cheap. If they released MILLER like this imagine all the other shows from SONY that will now get the HUB treatment in the future! This is VERY BAD!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,154 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 18 2009 - 04:05 AM

This gives so much hope for the future of TV on DVD. I'll be buying each BM season they release.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,212 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 04:23 AM

I got my set yesterday and I too was unhappy about the 'hub' configuration of the set. However, I do have to say that the discs were very snug in the hub and there weren't any scratches on any of the discs. That was a plus. I think that if Sony starts using the hubs for more than three discs I can see more and more discs being scratched. Hopefully this hub thing will vanish quickly and Sony will go back to more standard packaging.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 05:03 AM

While I did purchase the third season set and that the disks were not damaged, I may be boycotting all Sony DVD purchases in the future. As always, this is just their attempt to cut costs instead of passing those savings onto the consumers. Why won't studios stop messing around with their DVD packaging? If it's not broke, don't fix it. I'm actually converting one of my DVD cases and I'm inserting a two disk page so that the disks won't get damaged. (I'm fortunate enough to have a few DVD cases that contains inner binder hubs to snap DVD pages on the inside. I've convcerted one for a three disk set.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Karl R

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 08:43 AM

I just called Sony Pictures Homes Entertainment's customer service department @ 800-860-2878 to complain about this packaging, which was also used on The Nanny: S3 (fortunately, Married with Children: S10 uses THINpacs.)

The more people that call to complain, the more likely Sony will stop using this stupid hub system.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 657 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 12:49 PM

Karl R, Thanks for the contact info, I will be calling soon as I despise this hub arrangement. Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 05:14 AM

Bob, I saw you mention "Barney Miller" in the Best Then... thread but didn't want to muddy the waters over there with specific questions. I figured you like the show well enough you will check out this thread when it resurfaces. I have questions on the video quality. The reviews seem shakey at best in this regard, but sometimes they may expect too much from an old show like this. If you were to compare this video quality to other titles in your collection, which would it resemble? Figuring I may have one or two of those I could get a better idea. Most of my TV is on b/w which seems to fair better then color, for some reason. However, I know you have the Wagon Train color set, so how does it compare to those?

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 05:32 AM

Before I order this set I will buy a 3 disk dvd case and just put them in that when I buy it. Put the artwork and all on the new case. How cheap can Sony be?

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 06:45 AM

It's 1970s era video tape quality and, unfortunately, very little of my TV-on-DVD collection consists of shows shot on video tape, so it's hard for me to make any kind of comparison. The best that I can tell you is that the presentation is nothing special, but it's certainly not horrible . . . . it's just sort of bland and that's probably due to the limitations of the video technology back then. If you're new to the show you might have some issues with it, but I think it's fine for those who remember watching the original broadcasts of the show. And really, with a show like Barney Miller, you're really not buying it for the cinematography/videography anyhow, as almost all of it it is set in the squad room. With this show, it's all about the writing/acting/direction.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 17 2009 - 07:11 AM

Brad, 10-4 on Bob's post. I have several 70's sitcom sets in my collection and since they were originally shot on tape, as Bob said, the video Q won't match up with filmed shows in general. But the BM sets are easily watchable. If as Bob mentioned, someone had seen the show as originally aired, that makes these DVD sets easier to accept the video tape source material. Since BM's one of my top sitcoms, I've really enjoyed the S1/S2 sets.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 08:45 AM

Bob and Jeff, thanks for the feedback. I actually do recall seeing it when it was originally broadcast (I'm 48). I couldn't remember the time slot, but I seem to recall someone saying it was on after "MASH". And I was around watching during the whole "All in the Family" and "MASH" years. While I don't remember episodes I do remember the show quite well. There was even the "Fish" spinoff. Like you say it was primarily in the squad room, which was nothing more then a simple set. I recently picked the first two seasons of the "Odd Couple", which was also video and it looked pretty good, but I'm not expecting quite as much here based on the reviews. However, I am interested in giving it a shot. I really questioned going back to the sitcoms in the beginning. However, since starting out with "Andy Griffith" and then adding "Petticoat Junction", "I Love Lucy" and the "Honeymooners" I'm feeling better about it. But those are all older sitcoms. I got "McHale's Navy" season 2 for cheap but it hasn't clicked yet like the others. The "Odd Couple" I watched a lot when originally on so I'm hoping it will bring back fond memories. I think I'll have to at least give "Barney Miller" season 2 a try.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,444 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 09:08 AM

The Odd Couple was shot on film, not tape, so Barney Miller will never look that good. I'd say it is better than All in the Family, picture-wise, but worse than all the filmed shows.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted June 10 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well...I picked up season 2 of BARNEY MILLER recently and watched the first three episodes. The first episode had some issue with one camera angle seeming out of focus most of the time. However, I did not see any similar issues on the other two episodes. Overall, the video is very exceptable to me. I had forgotten how really good this show was and while some of the situation may be dated the humor still works quite well in my opinion. I'm looking forward to getting season 3 soon. As for season 1, I skipped over that and went right to season 2 reading that it is when the series really hit its stride. Especially, considering the family part couldn't seem to compete with the squad room (from what I read). However, now I'm debating about going back for season 1. While maybe not quite as good as the later seasons it still maybe be better then many other shows. So how would you rate season 1 to season 2? A must buy, or only necessary for the completest?

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 10 2009 - 04:56 PM

S2 is better but if you like S2, I'd get S1 as well. It's true that, imo, the show really started picking up beginning with S2 but there are some great eps in S1. There are some slower ones in that set as you mentioned with the family setting vs the squad room. Since I'm a Barney Miller fan, getting S1 was an automatic buy for me. Hopefully, there won't be any more 4-year waits between remaining sets as was the case between S1 & S2.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,426 posts

Posted June 11 2009 - 03:26 AM

Considering the show is over 30 yrs old the quality is reasonable. I have 1-3 seasons on dvd. I especially love Jack Soo, he makes me laugh. The whole cast was good fit. I just hope they release more of this series on dvd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users