What's new

Scareware on a Mac (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I was on newsday.com just reading some news stories when a pop up arose, closed my browser page, and told me it was scanning my computer for malware, When it finished, it left me with an exe file to save or cancel, and canceling just started the whole process over again.

I did some research and it seems to be a mimic of some previously successful scareware aimed at windows users, except aimed at mac users. The research I found called it "rouge antimalware software" or something like that and it says there is nothing on my computer to worry about.

Anyone experience this?

Side note- I wonder if it's coincidence that this showed up 1 day after upgrading to the latest FF versions? I'm finding pop ups behind my open windows I had never gotten prior to this upgrade.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Actually, from your description, it sounds as if what you ran into was targeted at Windows users as well. I haven't run into any OS X programs with .exe extensions.

-Keith

ErichH

Screenwriter
In the past year, I've noticed 1 or 2 exe files dumped into my downloads folder via Firefox. No big deal. I trash and empty, but it is a little disconcerting to see any at all.
There are a number of places where firefox will react to a site and resize to full screen, pop under various windows, etc. The last 2 versions even go through a slow crash for me if I leave them open for more than a day.
In all, the massive amount of garbage requests trying to load are held in check, but it's a constant battle. We see very few on a Mac.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Seems to me that without anti-virus protection, a Mac user could still be a vector for Windows-viruses if they share files with PC people.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I wasn't really worried about this, just a bit surprised by it. I guess I'm a spoiled Mac user now whose forgotten all about this virus and worm nonsense.

Seems the newsday site is the only place that happens.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Rakie

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I just force quit everything. It's happened maybe 2-3 times since i got my mac Jan 08.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks