Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scareware on a Mac

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted December 21 2008 - 08:53 AM

I was on newsday.com, just reading some news stories when a pop up arose, closed my browser page, and told me it was scanning my computer for malware, When it finished, it left me with an exe file to save or cancel, and canceling just started the whole process over again. I did some research and it seems to be a mimic of some previously successful scareware aimed at windows users, except aimed at mac users. The research I found called it "rouge antimalware software" or something like that and it says there is nothing on my computer to worry about. Anyone experience this? Side note- I wonder if it's coincidence that this showed up 1 day after upgrading to the latest FF versions? I'm finding pop ups behind my open windows I had never gotten prior to this upgrade.
Carl

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,081 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 21 2008 - 10:11 AM

Actually, from your description, it sounds as if what you ran into was targeted at Windows users as well. I haven't run into any OS X programs with .exe extensions. -Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted December 21 2008 - 10:36 AM

This should make you feel a bit safer

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 02:29 AM

In the past year, I've noticed 1 or 2 exe files dumped into my downloads folder via Firefox. No big deal. I trash and empty, but it is a little disconcerting to see any at all. There are a number of places where firefox will react to a site and resize to full screen, pop under various windows, etc. The last 2 versions even go through a slow crash for me if I leave them open for more than a day. In all, the massive amount of garbage requests trying to load are held in check, but it's a constant battle. We see very few on a Mac.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 07:40 AM

Seems to me that without anti-virus protection, a Mac user could still be a vector for Windows-viruses if they share files with PC people.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted December 23 2008 - 03:31 PM

I wasn't really worried about this, just a bit surprised by it. I guess I'm a spoiled Mac user now whose forgotten all about this virus and worm nonsense. Seems the newsday site is the only place that happens. Thanks for the input everyone.
Carl

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Rakie

Rakie

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 08:24 PM

I just force quit everything. It's happened maybe 2-3 times since i got my mac Jan 08.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users