What's new

RIP Star Trek's Majel Barrett (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Wow! That's sad news. She was always the backbone of the franchise. When she was involved as an actress it was always enjoyable. I don't know what else to say......rest in peace.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very sad. I had no idea she was ill. She was an important part of the shows, from Number One to Nurse Chapel to Lwaxana to the ever-present calm voice of the ship. She had the voice of rationality and reason, and when she wanted, of exuberance and life.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My fondest Lwaxana memory is her special relationship with Odo, and especially when she cared for him at his most vulnerable state in the stuck elevator. She did a lot to put him on the path to discovering his humanity. She'll be tough to replace as the voice of the Federation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I am stunned. I learned about it just now, on HTF. Very sad news. I too had no idea that she had been ill. I have only the very fondest memories of her. May she rest in peace.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

She will continue to be that voice in the latest JJ Abrams film. That's got a sense of coming full circle to a degree.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

I think that was the first time I really liked this chracter. I always found her too irritating in "TNG" episodes, although I enjoyed the way some of the characters (particularly Picard) would react to how overbearing she was. I know it won't matter (especially if it makes a lot of money), but I wish there would be no more Star Trek movies after the new one since she won't be available to do the voice of the computer anymore. It just wouldn't be the same without her.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I wasn't getting anywhere with Chris' link in the first post, here's a bit of obit:

"Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, the wife of “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, has passed away, Access Hollywood has learned. She was 76.

The actress died of leukemia at 12:27 AM on Thursday with her son, Rod, by her side. She was diagnosed with the disease six months ago.

Majel, whose acting credits included “Bonanza” and “Leave It To Beaver,” had been a part of “Star Trek” in all of its forms since it first premiered on September 8, 1966."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I had the pleasure of meeting Majel a couple of times in the 70s and she was always gracious, as she was to every fan she met - and not only the Trek fans. She is also a part of the Babylon 5 pantheon, thanks to a memorable appearance as the widow of the Centauri emperor. (Joe Straczynski wrote the character a speech about her late husband that could also stand as a eulogy for Gene - a lovely moment.)

She will be missed.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is very sad news indeed!

This isn't "almost like" part of Star Trek dying; this *is* part of Star Trek dying. She absolutely permeated the franchise from practically every way imaginable.

She was "Number One" in the pilot episode.

Nurse Chapel in TOS. (I'll never forget her reaction when Spock threw her soup up against the wall in "Amok Time"!)

Lwaxana Troi in TNG and DS9. (My favorite Lwaxana ep was "Half a Life".)

And, of course, the voice of the computer in all other incarnations of the franchise. (Even including the new movie that will be released next year!)

As the wife of Gene Roddenberry it goes without saying that she probably had quite a bit to do with the production of the various incarnations of the series as well.

I need a good Klingon Death Wail here ..

RIP, Say hello to Gene for us ...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I will be watching Cost of Living in her honor tonight. There is a heartwarming and poignant segment where Luwaxana talks to Alexander about being alone; it is somewhat cryptic, but in my estimation the dialogue, during the part where she is explaining to Alexander what it means to be alone (and looking like she is entirely in her own world) points squarely to Gene Roddenberry in one special scene. To my eyes, it is much more Majel Barrett than Luwaxana during that scene.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I was stunned by this news today, since it was only a couple days ago that it was announced that she would be the voice of the Enterprise in the next film. She seemed to be immortal, weaving through Star Trek history ...until now. I guess in some sense it is poetic timing, leaving the Earth just before Trek takes off in a new direction under new leadership. But still, I am sad that she passed away!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Majel Barrett has passed away at the age of 76. Thought it was worth a special mention here. Fans may recognize her as the computer voice on the various Star Trek television shows as well as numerous appearances as Lwaxanna Troi on Star Trek: TNG. Her last role was in providing the computer voice for the Enterprise on JJ Abrams Star Trek movie.

Slashdot | Majel Roddenberry Dies At 76

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Wow. Another Star Trek person gone. At least her voice will be able to appear in the new movie. RIP Majel.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well...only if the announcement was made after she'd recorded it. It sounded rather like an announcement about how excited they were that she'd agreed to provide the voice. But it didn't say she'd recorded it yet.

I suspect they'll have to go with the sound-alike actress that was used as the computer voice on one of the other series (it may have been Voyager?).

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Sad news. The Enterprise just won't be the same without her. :frowning:

That's a good point.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"At least her voice will be able to appear in the new movie."

Wasnt it just announced a few days ago that she would be using her voice for the film?

Had she already recorded her dialogue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks