Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RIP Star Trek's Majel Barrett

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 09:32 AM

The voice of the Enterprise is silenced:
Majel Barrett Roddenberry, `The First Lady of Star Trek,' dies in LA

#2 of 25 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 09:42 AM

Wow! That's sad news. She was always the backbone of the franchise. When she was involved as an actress it was always enjoyable. I don't know what else to say......rest in peace.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 25 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,750 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 09:46 AM

Very sad. I had no idea she was ill. She was an important part of the shows, from Number One to Nurse Chapel to Lwaxana to the ever-present calm voice of the ship. She had the voice of rationality and reason, and when she wanted, of exuberance and life.

#4 of 25 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 18 2008 - 09:53 AM

My fondest Lwaxana memory is her special relationship with Odo, and especially when she cared for him at his most vulnerable state in the stuck elevator. She did a lot to put him on the path to discovering his humanity. She'll be tough to replace as the voice of the Federation.

#5 of 25 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,041 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 10:07 AM

I am stunned. I learned about it just now, on HTF. Very sad news. I too had no idea that she had been ill. I have only the very fondest memories of her. May she rest in peace.

#6 of 25 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
She'll be tough to replace as the voice of the Federation.

She will continue to be that voice in the latest JJ Abrams film. That's got a sense of coming full circle to a degree.

#7 of 25 Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
My fondest Lwaxana memory is her special relationship with Odo, and especially when she cared for him at his most vulnerable state in the stuck elevator. She did a lot to put him on the path to discovering his humanity. She'll be tough to replace as the voice of the Federation.

I think that was the first time I really liked this chracter. I always found her too irritating in "TNG" episodes, although I enjoyed the way some of the characters (particularly Picard) would react to how overbearing she was. I know it won't matter (especially if it makes a lot of money), but I wish there would be no more Star Trek movies after the new one since she won't be available to do the voice of the computer anymore. It just wouldn't be the same without her.

#8 of 25 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,168 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 18 2008 - 11:12 AM

Aaaah damn. Sad news indeed. Posted Image

R.I.P. Majel.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#9 of 25 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 12:30 PM

I wasn't getting anywhere with Chris' link in the first post, here's a bit of obit:

"Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, the wife of “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, has passed away, Access Hollywood has learned. She was 76.

The actress died of leukemia at 12:27 AM on Thursday with her son, Rod, by her side. She was diagnosed with the disease six months ago.

Majel, whose acting credits included “Bonanza” and “Leave It To Beaver,” had been a part of “Star Trek” in all of its forms since it first premiered on September 8, 1966."

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#10 of 25 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 18 2008 - 12:34 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Majel a couple of times in the 70s and she was always gracious, as she was to every fan she met - and not only the Trek fans. She is also a part of the Babylon 5 pantheon, thanks to a memorable appearance as the widow of the Centauri emperor. (Joe Straczynski wrote the character a speech about her late husband that could also stand as a eulogy for Gene - a lovely moment.)

She will be missed.

Regards,

Joe

#11 of 25 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,178 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 12:42 PM

This is very sad news indeed!

This isn't "almost like" part of Star Trek dying; this *is* part of Star Trek dying. She absolutely permeated the franchise from practically every way imaginable.

She was "Number One" in the pilot episode.

Nurse Chapel in TOS. (I'll never forget her reaction when Spock threw her soup up against the wall in "Amok Time"!)

Lwaxana Troi in TNG and DS9. (My favorite Lwaxana ep was "Half a Life".)

And, of course, the voice of the computer in all other incarnations of the franchise. (Even including the new movie that will be released next year!)

As the wife of Gene Roddenberry it goes without saying that she probably had quite a bit to do with the production of the various incarnations of the series as well.

I need a good Klingon Death Wail here ..

RIP, Say hello to Gene for us ...
Joseph
---------------

#12 of 25 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,041 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 01:11 PM

I will be watching Cost of Living in her honor tonight. There is a heartwarming and poignant segment where Luwaxana talks to Alexander about being alone; it is somewhat cryptic, but in my estimation the dialogue, during the part where she is explaining to Alexander what it means to be alone (and looking like she is entirely in her own world) points squarely to Gene Roddenberry in one special scene. To my eyes, it is much more Majel Barrett than Luwaxana during that scene.

#13 of 25 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 01:47 PM

I was stunned by this news today, since it was only a couple days ago that it was announced that she would be the voice of the Enterprise in the next film. She seemed to be immortal, weaving through Star Trek history ...until now. I guess in some sense it is poetic timing, leaving the Earth just before Trek takes off in a new direction under new leadership. But still, I am sad that she passed away!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 25 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 02:00 PM

This news took me completely by surprise as well.....so very sad to hear of her passing. She was great in all three of her roles in the various incarnations of Star Trek.....I was particularly fond of Lwaxana Troi - you could tell Majel really enjoyed playing her. I will miss her presence in any future incarnation of Star Trek beyond the upcoming film. Rest in peace. Posted Image
Recently watched- Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#15 of 25 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 02:18 PM

Majel Barrett has passed away at the age of 76. Thought it was worth a special mention here. Fans may recognize her as the computer voice on the various Star Trek television shows as well as numerous appearances as Lwaxanna Troi on Star Trek: TNG. Her last role was in providing the computer voice for the Enterprise on JJ Abrams Star Trek movie.

Slashdot | Majel Roddenberry Dies At 76

#16 of 25 TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 02:31 PM

Wow. Another Star Trek person gone. At least her voice will be able to appear in the new movie. RIP Majel.

#17 of 25 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 06:41 PM

RIP, Majel

Thanks for all you gave us, the fans,

Say hi to Gene.

See you one day....

d

#18 of 25 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV_Fan
Wow. Another Star Trek person gone. At least her voice will be able to appear in the new movie. RIP Majel.

Well...only if the announcement was made after she'd recorded it. It sounded rather like an announcement about how excited they were that she'd agreed to provide the voice. But it didn't say she'd recorded it yet.

I suspect they'll have to go with the sound-alike actress that was used as the computer voice on one of the other series (it may have been Voyager?).
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 25 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 11:58 PM

RIP Majel.

#20 of 25 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 12:50 AM

Sad news. The Enterprise just won't be the same without her. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
Well...only if the announcement was made after she'd recorded it. It sounded rather like an announcement about how excited they were that she'd agreed to provide the voice. But it didn't say she'd recorded it yet.

I suspect they'll have to go with the sound-alike actress that was used as the computer voice on one of the other series (it may have been Voyager?).

That's a good point.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow