Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FINALLY.....RHODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 of 179 OFFLINE   zevonsky72

zevonsky72

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man View Post

See, here's what I don't get... doesn't Shout (or any manufacturer, for that matter) learn from the past?

Every time we get a chopped up season 1, we bitch and moan and don't buy it. Then, for season 2, they "pull out all the stops" and the second season is "a world apart".

Do we have to do this dance every time? It always ends the same way. Season 1 is edited, people bitch and don't buy it, and when season 2 comes out, even though it's done correctly, many people still don't buy because they don't have season 1. Can't, for once, they just assume we're going to complain and not buy, and get season 1 right so we don't have to go through this damn dance EVERY. SINGLE. TIME?!?

I can (sort of) understand the folks at some of the bigger studios who focus more on getting a "product" out than worrying about meeting every desire of hard-core fans.  They're clueless and don't seem to understand that the hard-core fans are actually the ones who are willing to shell out the money for box sets.  I get that.

But Shout! Factory?  Don't they realize they built their reputation on high-quality offerings catered to the discerning fan?  Didn't they recognize the risk that a mediocre classic TV release would present?  I don't get that.

#162 of 179 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 06:47 AM

I agree with every word The Obsolete Man said, and I thank him for saying it.

You know what Einstein supposedly said about doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results ... 

Maybe Shout! thought "Rhoda" fans wouldn't notice ...

Hey, Shout! ... someone will ALWAYS notice!  Stop it already!

#163 of 179 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,454 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 09 2009 - 01:26 PM

Joe, I'm with you: Shane hit the nail on the head dead on.  I gave some slack early in the tv-on-dvd game, but by now every label has been hit with these problems and the predictable and inevitable backlash.  How long before they learn to do it right with Season One?  

#164 of 179 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted October 09 2009 - 01:58 PM

And to add to my last rant, I don't think we're being unreasonable. All most of us hardcore fans want out of any series is unedited, complete episodes. We've been very forgiving as far as picture quality goes, forgiving in cases of music rights... no one complained too badly about the Married With Children or Dawson's Creek theme song replacements, because we were informed that it was a 30 second theme song cut, or no episodes at all. Paramount's full scale stripping of popular music (Fugitive not included!) has been annoying, but, for the most part, we understand and accept it, because we all know by now that music rights suck.

But a series like Rhoda, or Father Knows Best, or Mr. Ed doesn't have those music problems that could lead to edits. And I don't think anyone is going to complain about the first box set taking a while longer if it is going to be complete. Hell, I'd rather have waited until October, had Rhoda tied into the Mary Tyler Moore show, and had a complete season 1 than to have to pass on a chopped season 1 in April and never buy a subsequent season because there's no season 1 I deem acceptable to buy.

#165 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 
 but, for the most part, we understand and accept it, because we all know by now that music rights suck.

You should be ashamed of yourself for saying that. CBS/Paramount, more often than not, makes little to no effort securing music rights. The old Paramount regime, most of time did. Don't automatically assume that CBS/Paramount makes a legitimate effort to secure music rights when it's obvious that they don't.

To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#166 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 04:07 PM

And to add to my post, The Obsolete Man, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am, that not only do you claim that CBS makes a legitimate effort when it comes to securing music rights on DVD, but you also claim that Fox made a legitimate effort securing music rights for WKRP on DVD.

Let me ask you this: Do you honestly know this for a fact, or are you just speculating?

To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#167 of 179 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted October 11 2009 - 05:07 PM

My knowledge is as extensive as what I wrote in my posts, meaning, I speculated nothing about WKRP, or Paramount trying to clear music rights, just stating that most of us accept that music rights suck, and it is no surprise when songs are cut.

The only shows I specifically mentioned about rights trying to be secured were Dawson's Creek and Married... With Children, which are common knowledge. Everything else is you reading into my post a lot of stuff that wasn't there.

#168 of 179 OFFLINE   Ollie

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted March 17 2010 - 12:30 PM

Season 3 has been announced: http://www.tvshowson...-Season-3/13482

I've read that they really did go all out to get restored uncut prints for Season 2. I hope that they have invested a similar level of effort into Season 3. Sales numbers must not be an issue with this set given that they've announced S3 before S2 even hits the market. Hopefully that bodes well for completion of the series.

#169 of 179 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 01 2010 - 02:45 AM

RHODA Season 4 is available now thru SHOUT FACTORY DIRECT. My order shipped super fast (Looks like they used Priority Shipping) Here is their order link

http://www.shoutfact...px?pfid=5257268

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#170 of 179 OFFLINE   Ollie

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted October 03 2010 - 12:49 AM

They do use priority mail. I got my set within 3 days of ordering it.

As with Seasons 2 and 3 the transfers are great. The only big difference is the switch to an amaray style case instead of the slim cases used in Seasons 1-3. Looking at how well done Seasons 2-4 are, I'm still baffled anew as to why they totally dropped the ball on Season 1.

If they could go all out for the subsequent seasons why not the first one? I've read the "explanations" they've posted on their site, but it still makes no sense to me.

#171 of 179 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:41 AM

For those following the recent sad news, Valerie Harper may not be with us much longer. This is very sad news to say the least. Most of us love her dearly.

Many years ago watching Nick@Nite I was introduced to the Mary Tyler Moore Show and also Rhoda and have been a fan ever since.

I own all the seasons of MTM and all the released seasons of Rhoda.

For those who want to share thoughts etc feel free to share them on this thread.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#172 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 04:59 AM

I wish Shout would rekindle their completely shattered relationship with Fox, and release the final season. But Mike Dunn is nothing but a "you-know-what", so it will never happen in our lifetimes.

#173 of 179 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 10:15 AM

I wish Shout would rekindle their completely shattered relationship with Fox, and release the final season. But Mike Dunn is nothing but a "you-know-what", so it will never happen in our lifetimes.

Yes, and think about this: if Bea Arthur's death didn't get Sony (by itself or through Shout) picking up on Maude again, and countless other examples, how would this be different? Oh well, I can see it almost every night on Antenna anyway... (P.S. was Sony the ones with the "If it can't outsell Seinfeld, we won't continue it" rule?) And what is with Fox and MTM? Did Grant Tinker do something to Rupert Murdoch's Corn Flakes way back when? But DVDs and all that are secondary to the sad, sad news of today. My heart is still breaking...

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#174 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sony seems to be doing fine with shout. Although neither party has disclosed an official statement, there is plenty of evidence to support the fact that there is bad blood between Shout and Fox, despite any nonsense another poster may claim. There hasn't been a new DVD from Shout licensed from Fox in years, and Fox's behavior towards Shout is very similar to Fox's behavior towards VCI.

#175 of 179 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 12:00 PM

Not only that, but I still wonder why it seems they are out to bury the MTM library?

#176 of 179 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 06 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am really hurting by this sad news. I love her so much, and so do millions of others. Keep fighting, Valerie.

#177 of 179 OFFLINE   rcbrad

rcbrad

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 01:15 PM

I am really hurting by this sad news. I love her so much, and so do millions of others. Keep fighting, Valerie.

I am too, I do not remember shedding any tears in a long time, due to a celebrity passing away. She was a truly wonderful actress and person. I just finished reading her new book and I was shocked to hear this news. Rhoda the character and the show are one of my all time favorites.

#178 of 179 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:48 PM

I know! And it's been a bad couple of months for me so far this year...there's this, and before Sally Starr, and also yesterday Paul Bearer (a wrestling manager) died.

#179 of 179 OFFLINE   GAMESHOWFAN

GAMESHOWFAN

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:36 PM

SHOUT FACTORY are as big as you know whats that FOX is because how the crapped on HAZEL and used inferior elements when better ones were readily available AND at least FOX and MGM have let TGG DIRECT a new company handle some of their properties for dvd release, so that tells me SHOUT screwed the pooch badly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users