Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FINALLY.....RHODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 of 179 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted March 20 2009 - 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man
I guess it all depends on how much you want this show, and if you can stomach the edits.
Well,I've wanted this show on DVD,for a long time,but I can't stomach the edits.So,unfortunately,I won't be getting this.

#42 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 20 2009 - 04:49 PM

Even if I were a big fan of this show, which I'm not, I would still on general principle not buy it because at the very least when I get a boot set of something I *know* the quality isn't going to be the best, but with an official release I expect higher quality unless the company is honest and upfront about why the material is in this condition. And Shout provided *no* advance warning that so many episodes would be in this condition and that makes them look just as bad as CBS/Paramount did for not informing us about the "Fugitive" music situation.

#43 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 20 2009 - 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P
Even if I were a big fan of this show, which I'm not, I would still on general principle not buy it because at the very least when I get a boot set of something I *know* the quality isn't going to be the best, but with an official release I expect higher quality unless the company is honest and upfront about why the material is in this condition. And Shout provided *no* advance warning that so many episodes would be in this condition and that makes them look just as bad as CBS/Paramount did for not informing us about the "Fugitive" music situation.

First of all, please don't mention CBS/Paramount in the same sentence as Shout! Factory. At least you don't see them hiring that talentless Mark Heyes, like CBS/Paramount does nowadays.

Secondly, they did (well, sort of) provide a warning about the episodes being in poor condition on SitcomsOnline. They also mentioned that some of episodes came from private collections, which might explain why some of the episodes turned out to be unedited, while others did not.

Even the back of the box, as noted in the review, mentioned the episodes being taken from the best possible surviving masters, and the unavoidable tape flaws on the episodes.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#44 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 20 2009 - 05:30 PM

If you can point out one place where Shout offers any hint that there are edited episodes in a public pronouncement, by all means tell me. If there isn't, I don't feel they have a leg to stand on in terms of how they handled this. There are undoubtedly other things they've done right, but so too has CBS/Paramount done other things right (like the heads-up that "Bored, She Hung Herself" would not be in H5O S2). For me, this is their equivalent of a "Fugitive" moment for accepting such substandard material that seems to be making more people cancel their orders than be willing to accept it.

#45 of 179 OFFLINE   jordanfields

jordanfields

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 02:05 AM

We truly regret the disappointment that some fans have expressed about the inclusion of some syndication masters. Our preference--always--is to use the original broadcast masters. We did extensive research into available masters for season one of "Rhoda," and we found the best--and in some cases, the only--ones that existed. When original broadcast masters are not available, we usually think it’s better to put out the show with the best ones that we can find rather than not release the show at all. However, if we determine that the syndicated versions just don’t do a show justice, then we would make the difficult decision not to release it.

#46 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 05:50 AM

When we're talking about 16 of 25 episodes that's not "some" syndication masters, that's an overwhelming landslide majority.

#47 of 179 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 06:22 AM

Why was Mary treated so well and Rhoda ends up like this? Weren't they both made by MTM, originally filmed the same way, etc.

Were MTMS prints put away someplace safe while Rhoda just got lost in the shuffle? It just seems that two shows, made at the same time by the same company would get similar treatment. Same storage/archive facilities, originals left alone while dupes were sent out for syndication, whatever the process was at the time.
Stan

#48 of 179 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 21 2009 - 06:42 AM

Did you actually bother to look for the original film elements, or are you just going by what was already on tape? Because Fox is notoriously bad about remastering pre-Simpsons, non-M*A*S*H library material...they haven't since the 1980s.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#49 of 179 OFFLINE   jordanfields

jordanfields

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Did you actually bother to look for the original film elements, or are you just going by what was already on tape?

We worked directly with Fox and definitely looked for original film elements. Some were available; some weren't. It's unfortunate, we know, but the alternative, as I said, was not releasing at all, and we agreed it was still worth releasing.

#50 of 179 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:05 AM

My question would be; how are the film elements on subsequent seasons? Do they improve any? would there be less syndicated episodes? If so perhaps i could deal with S1 as is. But if the whole run is hit n miss, then i should probably pass. But, spend my money on some of Shout Factory's other great releases. Because you guys do a tremendous job. I am not going to let this stand in the way of supporting you.

#51 of 179 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:25 AM

I plan to get the release either way.

#52 of 179 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:27 AM

If Rhoda does get more boxsets put out, will seasons 4 & 5 be combined since 5 was only a half season and the network didn't even all the episodes?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#53 of 179 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:35 AM

The last season also had 4 previously unaired episodes added into the syndication package.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#54 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfields
We worked directly with Fox and definitely looked for original film elements. Some were available; some weren't. It's unfortunate, we know, but the alternative, as I said, was not releasing at all, and we agreed it was still worth releasing.

Better to let certain titles that are stalled get more out than a new title in substandard quality get started.

#55 of 179 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfields
We worked directly with Fox and definitely looked for original film elements.
I give you credit for politely responding to a post that began "Did you actually bother…" Cynicism is fine, but suggesting, with no information whatsoever, that the producers of this set acted in either utter laziness or complete contempt is just rude and completely uncalled for. Object to this release all you want, I would never say otherwise. But how about some basic civility?

#56 of 179 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
Better to let certain titles that are stalled get more out than a new title in substandard quality get started.
Since when does one have anything to do with the other?

#57 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:35 AM

I think it's a rather elementary point that if one chooses to spend money to license a brand new title and go to the trouble of spending money to search for elements and then put it out on DVD with all the production matters related, then that is money that could easily have been spent on another title that has been abandoned already by the company.

#58 of 179 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 07:07 AM

Quote:
I think it's a rather elementary point that if one chooses to spend money to license a brand new title and go to the trouble of spending money to search for elements and then put it out on DVD with all the production matters related, then that is money that could easily have been spent on another title that has been abandoned already by the company.
Okay, if it's one company. I was under the impression that Shout Factory has not abandoned many series, but I could be wrong.

But the reason a series is abandoned is because it's selling poorly. And since subsequent seasons always sell worse than previous seasons, I don't know that it's actually so "easy" to spend money on a title that will not make it back. Will a new series (such as "Rhoda") sell better? Who knows? I would doubt it, but these things frequently surprise me, and hope springs eternal. Some series have proven themselves to be unprofitable. Some have yet to do so!

#59 of 179 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 07:20 AM

I'm thinking in this case, more of one specific title abandoned by this company "The Bill Cosby Show" which needs only *one* more release to have its entire run out on DVD but they've chosen for two plus years to pull a Sony-SWAT posture on that one. The idea that they would then decide that compromised material of another title started up is a better thing to do than just *finishing* one title on DVD for the sake of those people who did shell out money for the first season (and once you have an entire run out on DVD, that might provide more incentive for others to then be willing to pick up *both* seasons) is the item that doesn't sit well with me in connection with this.

#60 of 179 OFFLINE   moogaboo

moogaboo

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'll still be buying "Rhoda," disappointed though I am. I've only really known the syndicated version so I suppose I won't really be missing anything.

I'd also like to know if subsequent seasons will be edited.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow