What's new

Wi-Fi Antenna for BD Ethernet connections? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, this is going to sound silly, but in the end I am certain there
must be a solution.

I am adding a second BD LIVE player to my home. It's going downstairs
where I have absolutely no ethernet connection. Furthermore, I don't want
the cost of adding another line to that location.

Is there an ethernet bridge/antenna that I can plug into the ethernet
slot to pick up the Wi-Fi signal in my home that will enable my BD Player
to access BD Live material?

If so, what is the name of what I must look for?

Thanks in advance.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Wouldn't using a PS3 accomplish this? I know Morgan can get online wirelessly when he comes here using that player.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A PS3 might, but I didn't buy a PS3.

I need an antenna for the Panasonic BD player I just bought.

Thanks anyways, Scoot!

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Off the top of my head, the only things I can think to sugest would the the ethernet adapter for XBox or, if there is a USB port on the player, a USB wireless adapter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Several companies sell wireless ethernet bridges or wireless game adapters that would meet this need. Most of them are around $80 - $100, though. I've been looking for such a device to connect my BD player and AV receiver to my home network, but I've been waiting until I can find something less expensive.

A co-worker told me this unit can be setup in bridge mode, but I have not had time to verify that information yet.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ron,

I've been using this Linksys WET54G WiFi/LAN bridge for some years on different PC's already. Haven't used it on any of my HD players, though. I don't know why it shouldn't work in that case as well.

You need to set it up (letting it make contact with your WiFi AP and enter the security keys) on a PC. When it's set, you can use it on other ethernet ports.

I don't know about prices in the US.

Cees

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I see it here on Amazon

Mixed reviews. Looks like it will be a real pain-in-the-ass to
set up, but then again, what router isn't?!

Thanks, Cees!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ron,

It's a bit of a pain alright, but it does have a setup wizard. In fact, when setting it up, you don't have to literally connect it to the PC on which you are running the wizard. All the wizard needs is to see the device on your LAN, so plugging in an ethernet cable (at that point the WiFi isn't working of course) in one of your switches (or a free port on the AP) will do the trick as well.

However, you may want to use it on one of your PCs at least once, to see if it really works.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Ron

Look for a wireless ethernet bridge or a wireless print server.

I picked up a couple of these NETGEAR WGPS606 54 Mbps Wireless Print Server with 4-Port Switch - bridge specs

They have 4 ethernet and 2 USB ports so I was able to connect my DirecTV DVR, Blu and HD-DVD player all to one box. That leaves me with an extra for potential expansion in the future. It is really easy to set up and I haven't had a problem since I installed them. I found mine for $20 a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I found it at CompUSA on a clearance deal but more recently on Ecost. It is a discontinued model so it shows up periodically for sale on closeout. I will do a little hunting and see if I can find it cheaper.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This sounds like a GREAT deal. THANK YOU.

Before I jump on it...you sure this is what I need and it will work?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Ron

It hooks right up to your current wireless router with a very easy setup and will give you ethernet to 4 devices, more if you hook up a hub.

I have two of them, one in each set-up and they have been flawless and required no maintenance at all. It will do the trick for you.

*Hint* There are several blue lights on the front that flash, which can be distracting in a theater environment, slip some tape over the lights and you are good to go
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Doug,

Thank you! I've been looking for a reasonable price on something like this. I just placed an order - $37 shipped.

Ron, that Netgear unit should work fine for what you intend. You are trying to accomplish the exact same thing as me.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I just wanted to speak about the Linksys Wireless Bridge:

I have the B version of the bridge for my ReplayTV connection and while it works beautifully, it tends to lose it's connection every few weeks. I brought this up in another forum and other members seemed to have similar issues.

I'm not sure if the G version is better at this, but just wanted to warn you about it. Although, the problem is always solved by unplugging and plugging the unit back in, so it's not the end of the world.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I've had the G version hooked to my Tivo HD for a few months and haven't had any problems. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I use a DLink DPR-1260 Print server and Dlink DES-1105 to connect my HDDVD and Denon 4806CI to the web. Works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks