What's new

Ridley Scott's Legend on Blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Dear Mr. DeLauzirika,

are there any current plans to bring Ridley Scott's Legend into the high definition realm? Since this particular movie is one aesthetically pleasing experience, it would be an excellent choice.

Btw, are there any possibilities still left that one day, the 140min version could be found, including David Bennent's original voice track?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I haven't heard anything about Legend on Blu-Ray recently but as with many catalog titles, I can only imagine it will happen at some point down the road.
I suppose there's always a chance the 140 min. workprint could miraculously pop up somewhere in some form (like the 3/4" tape of the alternate opening I found in London) but I believe Terry Rawlings told me that the workprint was physically trimmed down to the 113 min. Director's Cut used for test screenings before the film was conformed for the answer print that was eventually used for the DVD many years later. So there's a very high probability that the 140 min. cut no longer exists. But stranger things have happened...
P.S. And my last name is just "Lauzirika." But my first name works too.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My question is simple: when this was prepped for DVD, was it transferred in HD or SD. If HD, are the masters up to snuff for HD release, or would we run into similar problems to what happened with some early Warner titles i.e. 1080i masters that would have to be "converted" to 1080p, yielding a less than optimal result.

Radioguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Charles de Lauzirika said:
I suppose there's always a chance the 140 min. workprint could miraculously pop up somewhere in some form (like the 3/4" tape of the alternate opening I found in London) but I believe Terry Rawlings told me that the workprint was physically trimmed down to the 113 min. Director's Cut used for test screenings before the film was conformed for the answer print that was eventually used for the DVD many years later. So there's a very high probability that the 140 min. cut no longer exists. But stranger things have happened...
Are you saying what was cut literally ended up on the floor, or does it exist for reinsertion? A reassembled workprint is better than none....

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Charlie, this is another title I'd purchase on BD. Of course with everything ported over from the Ultimate Edition DVD. Seamless branching perhaps? The two cuts are quite different. How about some new interviews with Tom Cruise?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Stephen_J_H said:
My question is simple: when this was prepped for DVD, was it transferred in HD or SD. If HD, are the masters up to snuff for HD release, or would we run into similar problems to what happened with some early Warner titles i.e. 1080i masters that would have to be "converted" to 1080p, yielding a less than optimal result.
Considering a few scenes like Blix killing the first unicorn seem to have been dropped in from a lower quality source, I'm guessing the current Legend transfer was done in 480.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Lord Dalek said:
Considering a few scenes like Blix killing the first unicorn seem to have been dropped in from a lower quality source, I'm guessing the current Legend transfer was done in 480.
Director's Cut or American/Domestic Theatrical Cut?:crazy:
Charlie, if the Blu-ray has everything ported over from the Ultimate Edition 2-Disc with new interviews with Tom Cruise (I believe you were able to interview him for the TOP GUN 2-Disc?) trust me, I'll purchase this no questions asked!:D Of course since I'm a huge fan of your work obviously.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ray_R said:
Director's Cut or American/Domestic Theatrical Cut?:crazy:
Director's Cut, its all over filtered looking for just that scene.
EDIT: As well as the theatrical cut (I rarely watch it and have never managed to sit through the entire thing). This is screaming "REMASTER ME!!!" Charlie.

rykerabel

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryker Abel
I seriously cannot wait for a bluray release of Legend... then my Laser disc can finally get a break.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the tom cruise movie legend will be on HDnetmovies in june. I guess it will be the theatre version.
Jacob
HDNet Movies by Title
Legend - Closed Captions - New for June!
Rating: PG
Year: 1985
Cast:Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, Tim Curry
Director: Ridley Scott
Synopsis: Set in a fantastic land featuring magic swamps, unicorns, and dwarves, a struggle is taking place to save an innocent waif from the Prince of Darkness.
Run Time: 1:29
Air Dates:Thu, Jun 4th - 10:05 PM ET / 7:05 PM PT
Fri, Jun 5th - 1:35 AM ET / Thu, Jun 4th - 10:35 PM PT
Fri, Jun 12th - 4:35 PM ET / 1:35 PM PT
Mon, Jun 22nd - 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT
Mon, Jun 22nd - 11:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM PT
Tue, Jun 23rd - 8:05 AM ET / 5:05 AM PT
Sat, Jun 27th - 2:30 PM ET / 11:30 AM PT

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah its the theatrical version. A shame too because its virtually nonsensical compared to the DC.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
@Charles,
If you are looking for a nice bonus, try to acquire the German dub. Why? Because it contains David Bennent's REAL voice. Funnily, as a sort of "revenge", he also dubs Alice Playten's role. ;)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Ray_R /forum/thread/280229/ridley-scott-s-legend-on-blu-ray#post_3536579
Charlie, this is another title I'd purchase on BD. Of course with everything ported over from the Ultimate Edition DVD. Seamless branching perhaps? The two cuts are quite different. How about some new interviews with Tom Cruise?
Seamless branching on "Legend" for Blu-Ray might be impossible, simply because the two versions have two different scores (Goldsmith and TD), and therefore, two differently mixed soundtracks. Probably the best thing here for the sake of quality is to make it a 2 disc release, with one version per disc, as it was for SD DVD.
Of course, to add more features would take the co-operation of the many companies involved in this (remember, Fox handled most European distribution, Universal the domestic). I have seen many trailers to "Legend" on YouTube that have not been issued on home video officially, so anything can happen. Charles, it is your call.

NihasaAzazeL

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad Fry
I think it would be a wonderful idea to put Legend on Blu-ray! The 140 minute version you speak of is probably the "Director's Cut" which is actually 114 minutes. I have the DVD set with both the Theatrical and Director's cut on basic DVD format. It's still one of my favorite movies and Tangerine Dream does the best music through out the movie, giving it that fantasy appeal! The only thing about the "director's cut" I don't like is the absents of Tangerine Dream's music, it kinda takes the magic out of it to me. Here's a link to the copy I have, very good price for it too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370234959934&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D370234959934%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Jo_C /forum/thread/280229/ridley-scott-s-legend-on-blu-ray#post_3581184
Seamless branching on "Legend" for Blu-Ray might be impossible, simply because the two versions have two different scores (Goldsmith and TD), and therefore, two differently mixed soundtracks. Probably the best thing here for the sake of quality is to make it a 2 disc release, with one version per disc, as it was for SD DVD.
Of course, to add more features would take the co-operation of the many companies involved in this (remember, Fox handled most European distribution, Universal the domestic). I have seen many trailers to "Legend" on YouTube that have not been issued on home video officially, so anything can happen. Charles, it is your call.
I just bet Universal would have a release for LEGEND with both cuts, hopefully with the involvement of Tom Cruise this time for the supplements. As for FOX, I've been cosidering purchasing the European Cut on DVD for completists sake. Hopefully DTS-HD Master Audio for the Director's Cut and Dolby TrueHD for American Theatrical? As long as the extras are ported over from the Ultimate Edition, I'm still not selling it since it has a nice booklet.
One addition from the Ultimate Edition I'd want for the Director's Cut is a Jerry Goldsmith isolated score. Of course including a dedication to him would be great.
Of course I trust your Blu-ray involvement for Scott titles since I'm sure Rid does want the film grain retained.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I hope that any Blu-ray release of Legend includes all THREE major versions of the film. The U.S. DVD release was quite nice, but I don't like that I had to import another copy of the title to get the European cut of the film.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by cafink /forum/thread/280229/ridley-scott-s-legend-on-blu-ray#post_3601257
I hope that any Blu-ray release of Legend includes all THREE major versions of the film. The U.S. DVD release was quite nice, but I don't like that I had to import another copy of the title to get the European cut of the film.
Universal USA has the rights to the US Theatrical and Directors Cut only. FOX Europe has the rights for the European Cut. No idea if Universal would go through the motions of negotiating for the European cut. Yeah I've been wanting to import the European Cut on DVD for awhile.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Last night HDNet broadcast "Legend", and it looked fantastic. I popped in the directors cut DVD into my Toshiba HD-A2 (upconverting, connected with HDMI), and it didn't even come close to the HDNet broadcast. This is a movie that definitely looks great in high definition. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray. It will be a day-one buy for me.

Hello! This is an older topic, I know, but I was wondering if maybe anyone had heard of any movement for a "Legend" Blu Ray release. I saw something yesterday that re-sparked my desire to find some sort of information. High Def Digest's Blu Ray release list has the film listed under "Release Date Pending," titles that are "planned for release in the Blu-ray format (as indicated by press release or previous public statements made by the distributor)," but with as-yet-unannounced release dates. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

I myself haven't heard a single thing about "Legend" coming to Blu Ray, but I'm eager to find out if anyone else has. Charles, in the nearly two years since your post up top, has there been any activity?

Thanks in advance!

-Bryan Coleman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks