Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Artwork available for The Wizard of OZ and Gone With the Wind

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:16 PM

Each are "70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Editions":

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 15 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hmmm. If they end up being boxes I hope they have relatively normal sized cases inside them.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 12:55 AM

Yes, my first thought was they are not gonna fit on the shelf very well! Still, I'll be anxious for their release.

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 03:03 AM

The Casablanca set had the actual discs in more-or-less normal cardboard packaging that looks fine on my shelf by itself, and I keep the rest of the set stored elsewhere. Hopefully that's the case here.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 05:43 AM

Looks like they could be similar to the I Am Legend UCE box. I'm sure they'll be nice, but as with Casablanca I'm not buying unless they also offer a regular edition for a sane price.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Z.
Looks like they could be similar to the I Am Legend UCE box. I'm sure they'll be nice, but as with Casablanca I'm not buying unless they also offer a regular edition for a sane price.

I fully agree here.

I care nothing for the box and all the other gimmicks. PLEASE just give us the option of only purchasing the film/extras in a two-disc digipak release.

I really don't like the idea of paying for a bunch of stuff I don't want or need -especially in this economic climate.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
The Casablanca set had the actual discs in more-or-less normal cardboard packaging that looks fine on my shelf by itself, and I keep the rest of the set stored elsewhere. Hopefully that's the case here.
Wait - this is different than what I was told. Do you have any pictures?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:49 AM

They look fine by me. Now are these the same masters used for the latest SE versions of the dvd? Makes sense if they do, but I heard they were going to do a new one for The Wizard of Oz.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Wait - this is different than what I was told. Do you have any pictures?
I don't have a picture of my own, but it's like the lower left of this picture:

Posted Image

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:02 AM

Ah, interesting. Is there anything on the spine?

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:21 AM

One story I heard is that Gone with the Wind was done in 2k, but the Wizard of Oz was done in 4k and they were so impressed they wanted to redo GWTW in 4k.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,303 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieW
I fully agree here.

I care nothing for the box and all the other gimmicks. PLEASE just give us the option of only purchasing the film/extras in a two-disc digipak release.

I really don't like the idea of paying for a bunch of stuff I don't want or need -especially in this economic climate.
Couldn't agree with you more. PLEASE give the unwashed masses "regular" releases of these great classic films day-and-date with the very impressive (and very expensive) box sets. Not everyone is willing or able to spring for the full monty.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:54 AM

I hope the fact we are seeing package mockups from retailers now means these will show up in the first half of the year rather than showing up in a big gang-bang in Q4.
I sold off WOO in '06 when I thought it was coming soon, so I'm more than ready for this one and the packaging or extravegant cost will not be a deterant (unless work takes a real nose dive which is always possible). GWTW remains one of my favorite films of all time, yet I still haven't sat down and watched the SE from start to finish (replayed many scenes here and there though). More and more, I'm feeling less and less enchanted with Bd upgrades of what were already perfectly competent standard def releases. GWTW looked stunning on DVD. Of course it will look better in HD, but the cost vs value as an upgrade concerns me. Over the last month, I've upgraded about 18 titles to the tune of about $260. While all look 'better', the percieved difference almost across the board has been exceedingly minor. Since GWTW already looks so remarkable, I definitely worry I will fall into the underwhelming as an upgrade category.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Ah, interesting. Is there anything on the spine?
Yes: Blu-ray logo at the top, the title in the same font as the movie in the middle, and the WB logo at the bottom. All of it's in gold lettering.

I've updated my post above with the final artwork that shows the cover for the disc packaging. It's the one just above the discs themselves and just to the right of the box.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 09:05 AM

Awesome. Thanks Jesse!

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 16 2008 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell
Each are "70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Editions":

Posted Image

Posted Image

were is this artwork coming from, and what does it really mean?

andrew are you the source of the artwork, were did you get it?
facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 04:24 PM

2009 really does promise to be a GREAT year for Blu-ray from Warner Bros.

Gone With the Wind
Wizard Of Oz
Ben Hur
North By Northwest
Amadeus
Chariots of Fire

$$$$$ worth spending. Posted Image

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 16 2008 - 11:09 PM

Lovely! I like these. Not worred about shelf space...maybe put some sticky pciture hangers on the back and hang em on the wall! :P
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 11:15 PM

Tony: Amazon.com

Hopefully we'll also see Raintree County from Warners on Blu-ray next year. It's my most requested unreleased DVD.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 17 2008 - 12:00 AM

I hope Warner doesn't pull a "Casablanca" and restrict these to Box set only releases.

I don't need or want the box of junk Posted Image and sure as hell don't want to pay 200% more for it.
Death before Streaming!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow