Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

480i vs.480p through component to HDTV, any real difference?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:02 PM

Okay, I have a HDTV on the way for Christmas. It is one that has one component input. I have 2 DVD players. The main one I use and is providing 5.1 sound (built in decoder to a receiver which has a 5.1 input) has a component connection but is only capable of 480i I have another that is capable of 480p but with only 2 channel stereo. I would rather keep my 480i player the "main" DVD player until I get a blu-ray, affording it the best connection. I am also aware of the HDTV's own deinterlacing process to end up producing, in effect, a 480p picture. I am wondering how much difference 480p makes to picture quality and am I sacrificing a lot of quality by making my best connection to an only 480i capable DVD player. Also considering a component AV switch but wonder how much signal loss that will cause. My display will be a 32" LCD capable of 1080p.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 01:38 AM

Since every DVD player is capable of 5.1 sound via a digital coax or optical output (it's in the spec), I'm wondering why you do not use the digital connection?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 08:12 AM

My present Sony receiver has no decoder. It was gotten at the dawn of home 5.1 and carries a 5.1 analog input but no decoder. It works great and am not planning to replace it until it conks out.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   seedybrick

seedybrick

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 03:48 AM

geez i'm confused....doesn't both of your dvd players handle the decoding? either way...your tv is going to delace/upconvert to 1080p no matter what so there's really no way to know which will give the better picture unless you know a ton about the processors in each unit....or the more common route....try both out and let your eyes make the call.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 04:39 AM

Thanks. I will check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users