Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dragnet '68 on Hulu -- Why not on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkPA333

MarkPA333

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 02:19 PM

I saw that the second season of the Dragnet 1967-1970 "revival" is available for free viewing on Hulu. The episodes look great! And the source for the video is listed as "UMS" (which I believe is Universal).

If these are available in digital form, why haven't we seen this season released on DVD yet? It's been over 3 years since Dragnet '67 was released. If Dragnet '68 is out already, forgive me -- perhaps I missed it.

Hulu - Videos

Mark

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 03:36 PM

it's cheaper for them to put them on Hulu than the costs associated with pressing and distributing DVDs. Even if a selection goes bust on Hulu, Universal isn't stuck with a warehouse full of returns.

The local RTN station runs Dragnet with Adam 12. Maybe they'll get enough awareness back that it will be good to put them out on DVD.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkPA333

MarkPA333

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:21 PM

I hope you're right about the local station generating interest. At least the Hulu episodes are uncut and clean! Would be better to watch them on my TV but this will do nicely for now as a substitute Dragnet "fix".

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 02:14 AM

you should check to see if any of your local stations are using RTN programming for their digital substation. That's how we get it in Raleigh. Right now RTN is running Universal's programming.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:14 AM

As to the whole returns issue, why don't studios just press a small amount of niche product, see if it sells, and if there is a demand, make more?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:44 AM

Because retailers won't order it (or as much of it) if it's non-returnable.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...