Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Horton Hears a Who!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 01:48 PM

Blu-ray Disc Review

[/b]

The special features are a mixture of high definition and standard definition. The HD images are good, but my video processor didn’t always like them because of the amount of combing I saw with motion.

• audio commentary - with Directors Jimmy Hayward and Steve Martino. Both guys are excited to speak about this movie and how the images were set up on screen. They like to explain the imaginative intent behind the work of all who created it.

• watch Horton Hears a Who! with a Who - a bonus view feature where the littlest of the Whos, JoJo, watches the movie with you. He sits in his big chair, eats some popcorn, and then pops up on the screen during his favourite scenes. When he holds up his white sign, you can press the red button on your remote control to see the special features. I’m one of those who can’t figure out how to use the red button my PS3 controller onscreen menu. So I didn’t get to check out this feature. Although once this feature is activated, you cannot access any other special feature.

• deleted footage (SD 16:9) - there are thirteen total. With an introduction by the directors and optional commentary throughout, some footage is presented only as storyboards, rough animation versions, and almost-final versions.

• animated screen tests - includes an introduction with animator Nick Bruno, and features screen ten Horton screen tests, eleven Mayor screen tests, and two Whos screen shots.

• Bringing the Characters to Life (HD, 5:29) – how characters form after the voices are heard, and after animators act things out to see movement.

• The Elephant in the Room: Jim Carrey (HD, 4:52) – Jim Carrey discusses his role as an elephant excited about life.

• That’s One Big Elephant: Animating Horton (HD, 8:08) – the directors discuss the creation of Horton as an animated character, especially in relation to the original artwork from the Dr. Seuss book.

• Meet Katie (HD, 3:49) – the strangeness of this little furry yak character, Katie, is explored. She’s my favourite in the film because she’s so weird…ha hah…

• Our Speck: Where Do We Fit In? (HD, 4:01) – a special feature for kids talking about small things they can do to help make the world a better, safer place to live.

• Elephant Fun: The Facts (HD, 5:28) – an elephant expert gives us amazing facts about elephants using Suzy the elephant as an example.

• A Person is a Person – A Universal Message (HD, 3:42) – with Steve Carell, the writers, the producer, discussing the line from the movie, that even the smallest people or the smallest things can make a difference to the world.

• Bringing Seuss to Screen (HD, 8:14) – all of the participants in these special features have something to add about how Seuss translates well to motion pictures, and what should be filled in where the pages in the story never ventured.

• We Are Here! - a game that requires button sounds to function correctly. Make sure the bitstream output is disabled on the player. You need the disc to be decoded inside of the player for this feature to work (there is an on-screen notice of this). The fate of Whoville is counting on you to make lots of noise – there are five instruments that will make noise in a certain order. You have to memorize the order they play and play them back in the same order. It’s a memory game like that old game “Simon” with the coloured lights (anyone play that?). I saved Whoville!

• Fox on Blu-ray - City of Ember, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in Digital 3-D

• Disc 2 – Digital Copy of Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who! for portable media players.

IN THE END...

Looks great! Sounds great! The special features are worth playing through. Thinking of a Christmas gift? Give the gift of a Who!

Michael Osadciw
    December 15, 2008.

Review System

• Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 04:47 PM

Nice review.

I just saw this recently. I never saw it theatrically but the BD image is really nice. This is probably the closest they have come to capturing the essence of Dr. Suess's drawing style on film, at least since Chuck Jones's
    Grinch. I thought this film was much better than any of the live action attempts at a Dr. Suess story.

I thought the one really big mistake was the inclusion of an anime parody about a 1/3 of the way into the film. It really took a person out of the rythmn that Dr. Suess was so famous for. For me, it was a pimple on an otherwise well done story.
    "You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 08:33 AM

While I thought it looked great and sounded pretty good, I was totally bored and so were my 2 kids who normally eat up animated feature films.
    To me, Dreamworks has done great things to try and catch up to Pixar but Fox is way way behind on every front.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted December 21 2008 - 03:33 PM

It's a typical animated film that can be lumped with all the others over the last five years. Great A/V, boring everything else.
    You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   frankfarmer

frankfarmer

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 10:44 AM

"

Blu-ray Disc Review

[/b]

The special features are a mixture of high definition and standard definition. The HD images are good, but my video processor didn’t always like them because of the amount of combing I saw with motion.

• audio commentary - with Directors Jimmy Hayward and Steve Martino. Both guys are excited to speak about this movie and how the images were set up on screen. They like to explain the imaginative intent behind the work of all who created it.

• watch Horton Hears a Who! with a Who - a bonus view feature where the littlest of the Whos, JoJo, watches the movie with you. He sits in his big chair, eats some popcorn, and then pops up on the screen during his favourite scenes. When he holds up his white sign, you can press the red button on your remote control to see the special features. I’m one of those who can’t figure out how to use the red button my PS3 controller onscreen menu. So I didn’t get to check out this feature. Although once this feature is activated, you cannot access any other special feature.

• deleted footage (SD 16:9) - there are thirteen total. With an introduction by the directors and optional commentary throughout, some footage is presented only as storyboards, rough animation versions, and almost-final versions.

• animated screen tests - includes an introduction with animator Nick Bruno, and features screen ten Horton screen tests, eleven Mayor screen tests, and two Whos screen shots.

• Bringing the Characters to Life (HD, 5:29) – how characters form after the voices are heard, and after animators act things out to see movement.

• The Elephant in the Room: Jim Carrey (HD, 4:52) – Jim Carrey discusses his role as an elephant excited about life.

• That’s One Big Elephant: Animating Horton (HD, 8:08) – the directors discuss the creation of Horton as an animated character, especially in relation to the original artwork from the Dr. Seuss book.

• Meet Katie (HD, 3:49) – the strangeness of this little furry yak character, Katie, is explored. She’s my favourite in the film because she’s so weird…ha hah…

• Our Speck: Where Do We Fit In? (HD, 4:01) – a special feature for kids talking about small things they can do to help make the world a better, safer place to live.

• Elephant Fun: The Facts (HD, 5:28) – an elephant expert gives us amazing facts about elephants using Suzy the elephant as an example.

• A Person is a Person – A Universal Message (HD, 3:42) – with Steve Carell, the writers, the producer, discussing the line from the movie, that even the smallest people or the smallest things can make a difference to the world.

• Bringing Seuss to Screen (HD, 8:14) – all of the participants in these special features have something to add about how Seuss translates well to motion pictures, and what should be filled in where the pages in the story never ventured.

• We Are Here! - a game that requires button sounds to function correctly. Make sure the bitstream output is disabled on the player. You need the disc to be decoded inside of the player for this feature to work (there is an on-screen notice of this). The fate of Whoville is counting on you to make lots of noise – there are five instruments that will make noise in a certain order. You have to memorize the order they play and play them back in the same order. It’s a memory game like that old game “Simon” with the coloured lights (anyone play that?). I saved Whoville!

• Fox on Blu-ray - City of Ember, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in Digital 3-D

• Disc 2 – Digital Copy of Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who! for portable media players.

IN THE END...

Looks great! Sounds great! The special features are worth playing through. Thinking of a Christmas gift? Give the gift of a Who!

Michael Osadciw
    December 15, 2008.

Review System
  • "