-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: I, Claudius The Epic That Never Was

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher
It looks like someone could write a dissertation about the various releases of this show!

In the review I mentioned some of the differences between the U.K. version and the U.S. version, other than the combining of Episodes One and Two. It is also possible that the R2 release and the new R1 release are not precisely how the show was originally aired on the BBC.

I'll pop in the new R1 version is the next day or two and see how the running times match up to the R2 version. My initial impression is that they are the same, but we'll see.
I don't even want to bring up that there is supposed to be some kind of a time difference between PAL and NTSC. Like the situation needs to be made even more confusing.

#22 of 24 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted January 02 2009 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas speed
I don't even want to bring up that there is supposed to be some kind of a time difference between PAL and NTSC. Like the situation needs to be made even more confusing.
That time difference is only a concern for film productions. Video productions, like I, Claudius, should be the same length.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#23 of 24 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 04:38 PM

I still don't know which version to get. Does anyone know if the new version is how it aired in the UK, with the African Slave Dance shortened and the four mins. missing from Episodes 1/2?

#24 of 24 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted April 10 2009 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher
It looks like someone could write a dissertation about the various releases of this show!

In the review I mentioned some of the differences between the U.K. version and the U.S. version, other than the combining of Episodes One and Two. It is also possible that the R2 release and the new R1 release are not precisely how the show was originally aired on the BBC.

I'll pop in the new R1 version is the next day or two and see how the running times match up to the R2 version. My initial impression is that they are the same, but we'll see.

Richard, did you ever get a chance to do this? I'm still curious about the new R1 disk relative to any deleted material. I own the original 5-Disc R1 version of the show, but I saw the remastered version at Borders for less than $25 in their 50% off sale, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the better quality picture you described (and the slimmer box). But I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, did a final comparison of what content differences, additions or deletions, there are between this and the original release.

Forum Nav Content I Follow