Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 06:56 AM

GET A CLUE WITH EVERYONE’S FAVORITE
PINK-FURRED FELINE

THE PINK PANTHER
CLASSIC CARTOON COLLECTION

The Bumbling Adventures Continue in a 9-Disc Set Of The Original Cartoon Series on DVD January 27thFrom MGM Home Entertainment

Los Angeles, CA - A madcap frolic of crime and fun, the Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection slinks on to DVD January 27th from MGM Home Entertainment. MGM’s third largest and broadest appealing film franchise is showcased in this must-have multi-disc set, which contains three cartoon collections not available individually of the original classic cartoon, “The Pink Panther.” Nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award® for Outstanding Entertainment in a Children’s Series (1975), “The Pink Panther” television series captured the hearts of audiences during its 1969 to 1979 run. The groundbreaking cartoons boasted a creative staff and crew of all-star artists who helped define the stylized “cool” of ‘60s and ’70s animation, including directors Friz Freleng (co-creator of the animated “Pink Panther”), Gerry Chiniquy (“Transformers”), Robert McKimson (“Looney Tunes”) and George Singer (“The Bullwinkle Show”), with scripts by John W. Dunn (“Daffy Duck’s Quackbusters”), among others. The Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection includes the brilliant, Academy Award®-winning The Pink Phink* as well as the only two cartoons, Sink Pink and Pink Ice, in which the mischievous feline speaks. In addition to the collection, six volumes of the classic cartoons will also be available individually and will include an e-Movie Cash™ certificate for the upcoming theatrical release of Pink Panther 2. Each volume will have a suggested retail price of $14.98 U.S./$15.98 Canada. The Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection is available for the suggested retail price of $69.98 U.S./$99.98 Canada. Prebook is December 31, 2008.

Nine Cartoon Classics: Length:
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 1: Pranks in the Pink 158 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 2: Adventures in the Pink 155 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 3: Frolics in the Pink 158 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 4: Swinging in the Pink 171 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 5: The Ant and the Aardvark 111 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 6: The Inspector Vol. 1 107 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 7: The Inspector Vol. 2 119 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 8: Roland and Ratfink 119 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 9: Cartoons 119 min.

Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection
Price: $69.98 U.S. / $99.98 Canada
Street Date: January 27, 2009
Prebook Date: December 31, 2008
Catalog Number: M113445
Total Run Time: 1267 minutes
MPAA: NR
Language: English

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 11:18 AM

So, that Volume 9 would include Tijuana Toads, right?

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 15 2008 - 07:22 AM

Weren't these already released in a set?

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson
Weren't these already released in a set?

The Panther cartoons were released in a five-disc set around four years ago. There have been single-disc releases of discs five and six. As I have all these, I shan't be buying this just for the three discs that haven't been released seperately.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 11:16 AM

They were also included as half of the Ultimate Pink Panther collection released recently, but I haven't seen anything but speculation so far as to what's contained in Volume 9.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted December 17 2008 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPearson
The Panther cartoons were released in a five-disc set around four years ago. There have been single-disc releases of discs five and six. As I have all these, I shan't be buying this just for the three discs that haven't been released seperately.
Discs 1- 4 have been released as singles but not disc 5. In the US released as singles have been The Ant and the Aardvark and The Inspector Vol 1. A few months ago in Germany, the Ant and Inspector Vol 1 and 2 have been released as singles. They are PAL Region 2 with english audio, menus and subtitles. I am hoping that Roland and Ratfink will be released as a single somewhere.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumnernor
Discs 1- 4 have been released as singles but not disc 5. In the US released as singles have been The Ant and the Aardvark and The Inspector Vol 1. A few months ago in Germany, the Ant and Inspector Vol 1 and 2 have been released as singles. They are PAL Region 2 with english audio, menus and subtitles. I am hoping that Roland and Ratfink will be released as a single somewhere.

Disc 5 of this new set is The Ant and the Aardvark which, as you say, has been released seperately in R1. Disc 6 of this new set is the Inspector Volume One, also released seperately in R1. The remaining three discs have not been released seperately in R1.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPearson
Disc 5 of this new set is The Ant and the Aardvark which, as you say, has been released seperately in R1. Disc 6 of this new set is the Inspector Volume One, also released seperately in R1. The remaining three discs have not been released seperately in R1.

Correct. My Aardvark & Inspector Vol 1 are the US versions. My Inspector Vol 2 was bought in Germany. I hope for everyone that the Inspector Vol 2 and Roland and Ratfink will be realised separately. We don't know anything about "Disc 9". The original PP cartoons box had five discs. The 1st four have been released separately but not the 5th in that set.

I also note that the last 3 discs are 119 min which seems funny.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 19 2008 - 12:33 PM

I'm taking this advice from Jason Bailey's review at DVDTalk:

"So I'll just do the math for you: Right now, this collection is $180 on Amazon. But all of the good feature films are in the 2004 Pink Panther Film Collection set, which can be yours for a mere $40. All nine of the cartoon discs are available separately in January for $52; throw in the stand-alone Return of the Pink Panther disc not included here ($10) and you've spent a total of $102, and you're spared the bad films, with an extra good one to boot, plus you've saved $78. You're welcome."

By the by, Jason says that the first 5 cartoon discs contain the Pink Panther cartoons, same as the original released set, with 1 disc of Ant & Aardvark, 2 discs of The Inspector, and 1 disc of Roland & Ratfink. The press release is incorrect.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 06:30 PM

I wish one of these releases would feature the opening and closing credits for the initial incarnation of "THE PINK PANTHER SHOW" on NBC, with the kid driving the pink sports car to Grauman's Chinese and the Pink Panter and the Inspector coming out the back seat. I still have that theme song in my head - "He really is a groovy cat / And he's a gentleman, a scholar / and an ac-ro-bat!"
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 20 2008 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
I'm taking this advice from Jason Bailey's review at DVDTalk:

The link for that review is:
Pink Panther Ultimate Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

I haven't had time to read it. I hope the Inspector-2 and the Roland and Rattfink will be issued as singles. As stated earlier, I have the Inspector-2 and would only need the Roland and Rattfink.

I have just seen in a store here in Munich, a 5 disc box of the PP with Sellers (excluding Return) for 20 Euros! This is a PAL Region 2 set. You can find this on Amazon.de and search (Suche) "der rosarote panther". The link is:
Amazon.de: der rosarote panther - DVD: DVD & Blu-ray

Also on the link is :
Der rosarote Panther - Die neue Show, Season 1 (4 DVDs)

I don't know if I would get anymore. It is not the same quality as the early PP cartoons. Season 2 has not been offered. The UK set was only 2 DVD, I believe.

There is via "sellers" all 6 PP films (on 7 DVDs) with Sellers which includes "Return" at:
Pink Panther Film Collection remastered (7 DVDs): Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom, David Niven, Burt Kwouk, Blake Edwards: Amazon.de: DVD & Blu-ray

It is cheaper now to get the 5 films plus "Return".

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted December 20 2008 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
By the by, Jason says that the first 5 cartoon discs contain the Pink Panther cartoons, same as the original released set, with 1 disc of Ant & Aardvark, 2 discs of The Inspector, and 1 disc of Roland & Ratfink. The press release is incorrect.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks!

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 21 2008 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
I wish one of these releases would feature the opening and closing credits for the initial incarnation of "THE PINK PANTHER SHOW" on NBC, with the kid driving the pink sports car to Grauman's Chinese and the Pink Panter and the Inspector coming out the back seat. I still have that theme song in my head - "He really is a groovy cat / And he's a gentleman, a scholar / and an ac-ro-bat!"

This 1 minute does exist on the german 4 DVD of the Pink Panther Cartoons ("Der Rosarote Panther Cartoon Collection). It is on the last chapter if disc 4. It still exists if you look at the links just posted. For the cartoons, the best is the 5 disc US version. The UK version had the original audio BUT had the cartoons as "wide Screen". The PP cartoons are 4:3 which is the way on the german box BUT it does not have the original audio!!!! It has a man speaking in german which is evidently the way it was shown on TV. Judging from the Amazon.de, many germans like this. There were a number of German who did not like this. It is a shame that the German set did not have 2 audio options. There was at least 1 cartoon slight cut at the end - the cartoon showing Henry Mancini at the end. This was cut from the german version.

A couple of years ago, there was released in Germany a 4 DVD box (2 DVD, I believe in the UK) of the New Pink Panther Show - season 1 ("Der Rosarote Panther - Die neue Show - Season 1". This PAL Region 2 set has english menu, audio and subtitles. The 1st DVD has 10 shows of 21 min each of 2 cartoons such as "Pink, Pink and Away" & "Way down on the Ant Farm" ; "Pink and the Quiet" & "The Pinky 500". These cartoons are not the same quality of the 5 DVD box in the US. If someone is looking for the TV shows, this might be of interest. It is also available. See my above links.

It therefore appears that many cartoons are missing from the " Pink Panther Ultimate Collection".

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 19 2012 - 06:30 AM

What was the final word on this set? I know Discs 1-6 are available individually, and Disc 9 of the set is the same as Disc 5 of the older 5-disc set, but what about discs 7-8? Do these complete the entire run of the classic short films?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow