Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Raging Bull (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 08:59 AM

“I REMEMBER THOSE CHEERS. THEY STILL RING IN MY EARS…”

RAGING BULL

Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-Winning Masterpiece Triumphs Onto Blu-ray Disc With Even Greater Unflinching Realism February 10 >From MGM Home Entertainment

“...brilliantly photographed film of extraordinary power and rare distinction..."
- The Wall Street Journal

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Experience a boxer’s emotional journey, as the violence and temper that made him a champion inside the ring destroy his life outside of it, when Raging Bull rings onto visually stunning Blu-ray Disc (BD) for the first time on February 10 from MGM Home Entertainment. Raging Bull garnered eight Academy Award nominations, taking home Oscars for Best Actor in a Leading Role (DeNiro) and Best Film Editing (Thelma Schoonmaker). Nominated for Best Cinematography as well, the Blu-ray disc presents Michael Chapman’s beautiful black and white photography as never before. Claiming the number one ranking spot on AFI’s “Top Ten Sports Films of All Time,” director Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Goodfellas) recounts the gritty and emotionally unsettling career and personal life of tenacious boxer Jake LaMotta. Robert DeNiro (The Godfather II, Meet the Parents) delivers a knockout performance, portraying the rise and fall of the middleweight boxer, including his prizefighting victories of the 1940s, his dealings with the mob and the destruction of his marriage, his family and himself. Co-starring, are Oscar winner* Joe Pesci (My Cousin Vinny, Once Upon a Time In America,), as LaMotta’s manager and brother and Cathy Moriarty (Casper, Analyze That), as LaMotta’s abused and alienated wife.

The Raging Bull Blu-ray Disc includes director, cast and crew commentary, making-of documentaries, and much more. It will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada, pre-book is January 14.

* 1991 Academy Award – Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Goodfellas

Raging Bull Synopsis:
Robert DeNiro teams with director Martin Scorsese in this "extraordinarily compelling" (Leonard Maltin) film that introduced unflinching realism to stunned audiences in 1980. An "exceedingly violent as well as poetic" fight picture that maps "the landscape of the soul" (The New York Times), Raging Bull garnered eight Oscar® nominations* and won two, including Best Actor for DeNiro. DeNiro gives the performance of his career as Jake LaMotta, a boxer whose psychological and sexual complexities erupt into violence both in and out of the ring. Joe Pesci and Cathy Moriarty are unforgettable as the brother who falls prey to Jake's mounting paranoia and jealousy, and the fifteen-year-old girl who becomes his most prized trophy. A "brilliantly photographed film of extraordinary power and rare distinction" (The Wall Street Journal), Raging Bull is filmmaking at its riveting best.

Special Features:
The Raging Bull Blu-ray Disc is presented in widescreen (1.85:1) with English Dolby Surround 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio. Bonus features include:
· Commentary by Director Martin Scorsese and Editor Thelma Schoonmaker
· Cast & Crew Commentary – Irwin Winkler, Robbie Robertson, Robert Chartoff, Theresa Saldana, John Turturro, Frank Warner, Michael Chapman and Cis Corman
· Storyteller Commentary – with Mardik Martin, Paul Schrader, Jason Lustig and Jake LaMotta
· Raging Bull: Before the Fight – The writing casting and pre-production
· Raging Bull: Inside the Ring – The choreography of the fight scenes
· Raging Bull: Outside the Ring – Behind the scenes stories of making the film
· Raging Bull: After the Fight – The sound design, the music, and the impact of the film
· “The Bronx Bull” – Making-of documentary
· DeNiro vs. LaMotta – Shot – by – shot comparison in the ring
· LaMotta Defends Title – Newsreel footage
· Original theatrical trailer

RAGING BULL BLU-RAY DISC
Street Date: February 10, 2009
Prebook Date: January 14, 2009
Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Catalog Number: M113514
U.S. Rating: R
Total Run Time: 125 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 11 2008 - 09:00 AM

Mine. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 15 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 04:01 PM

Definitely!

#4 of 15 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 08:15 AM

I strongly prefer the grace of the Collector's Edition SD-DVD to the brute force of the Blu-ray cover, though (a small gripe, I know)...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#5 of 15 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:08 AM

I hope to god they do something about that horrid grain. Posted Image

#6 of 15 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
NO! The natural grain should stay.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 15 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:51 AM

A must-buy for sure. Glad to see MGM is giving it a real SE treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
I hope to God you're joking.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 15 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S
A must-buy for sure. Glad to see MGM is giving it a real SE treatment.

I hope to God you're joking.

Ohhhhh, yes. It's humor, but it's a dry humor.

#9 of 15 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 01:40 PM

Phew.

#10 of 15 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
I strongly prefer the grace of the Collector's Edition SD-DVD to the brute force of the Blu-ray cover, though (a small gripe, I know)...

You should just count your lucky stars that they only feature isn't a PS3 Jake LaMotta's Boxing video game demo! Posted Image

Oh, this will definitely be mine as well. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 15 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
Special Features:
The Raging Bull Blu-ray Disc is presented in widescreen (1.85:1) with English Dolby Surround 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio. Bonus features include:
· Commentary by Director Martin Scorsese and Editor Thelma Schoonmaker
· Cast & Crew Commentary – Irwin Winkler, Robbie Robertson, Robert Chartoff, Theresa Saldana, John Turturro, Frank Warner, Michael Chapman and Cis Corman
· Storyteller Commentary – with Mardik Martin, Paul Schrader, Jason Lustig and Jake LaMotta
· Raging Bull: Before the Fight – The writing casting and pre-production
· Raging Bull: Inside the Ring – The choreography of the fight scenes
· Raging Bull: Outside the Ring – Behind the scenes stories of making the film
· Raging Bull: After the Fight – The sound design, the music, and the impact of the film
· “The Bronx Bull” – Making-of documentary
· DeNiro vs. LaMotta – Shot – by – shot comparison in the ring
· LaMotta Defends Title – Newsreel footage
· Original theatrical trailer

All these Xtras are making this a MUST purchase for me. Posted Image

Can't wait to see it on my Pioneer Plasma, once I buy the TV. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#12 of 15 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 02:27 AM

Just over a week to go. Can't wait to read a review on this one - haven't found any yet, except this fellow...

http://itsonitsgone.....y-raging-bull/

#13 of 15 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 02:04 AM

Raging Bull Blu-ray Robert De Niro Scorsese

Some comparison shots from beaver along with a bit of commentary. Looks like grain is intact and contrast is excellent. Great to see!

#14 of 15 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 05:10 AM

Not seeing any unsightly processing. Ordered!

#15 of 15 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 03:58 AM

That picture looks amazing, and it's region free Posted Image. The film is one of my favorites, but I wanted to wait and see what the picture looked like. The Ultimate Edition looked way too soft, and I'm glad they got it right this time. Must-buy for me.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow