What's new

Sony BDP-S550 7.1/5.1 multichannel analog question (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I have the Sony BDP-S550, using multichannel analog out to a 5.1 receiver. I wasn't getting anything from the rear surrounds, so did some searching here and found that BD Audio Setting needs to be set to Direct. That did the trick!

But now an additional question. In a couple places it was mentioned (without confirmation or further discussion) that perhaps the side surround out on the 550 should go to the rear speakers in on the receiver, then in the 550 setup, indicate there are no rears, then the 550 would compensate by mixing side/rear surround into the rear channels. Can anyone confirm if this would be the optimal setup?

One thing that has troubled me in the 550 speaker setup is that if I specify there are no side speakers, it automatically disables the rear speakers. I'm not sure how relevant it is that the 550 is configured for a 7.1 setup when I have only 5.1. Should I be concerned?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That sounds right.
In a 7.1 setup, the side surrounds are what is normally the rear speakers, in a 5.1 setup.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I just set up my new S550 this morning. I'm using a nine year old Dolby Digital Marantz receiver with multi-channel audio inputs (5.1). I'm confused about a few things. I don't see, as Dave suggests, anything in the set up menu to indicate the lack of rears. Am I missing something?

Also, I set the "audio priority" to multi-channel audio, and do get full multi channel audio sound this way. However, when I switch to the digital connection (optical cable), I'm receiving 2 channel stereo only (unless I switch the audio priority accordingly). Is this as it should be? (I prefer not to go through the training curve with other family members about switching to analog when they want surround sound, as I'm the only one that cares about the new fangled high end audio codecs).

On a unrelated note...My player has the .10 firmware. Since BD Live is not of interest, and my computer is in a different room, are the newest firmware updates worthwhile?

(Sorry about the separated post...must have hit something on the keyboard by accident).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
In that case, I wouldn't worry about it, until you put a blu ray movie in that it won't play. Then you'll need to upgrade your firmware.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ed. I found a very long USB cable and performed the update, which was a snap.

As for myself, I can't think of any reason to use the optical connection when watching a movie, but when other members of the family switch between regular TV and discs, digital to analog is one more adjustment to make, and the girls, in particular, don't care one iota about the flavor of surround sound (i.e. Dolby Digital vs. True HD). When I bring the subject up, they act like I'm a mad scientist.

Still, this is not a major issue, but I'd like to know that everything is in order. My settings:

Audio Priority: Multi Channel Analog
Audio (HDMI): Auto
BD Audio:Mix
Audio ATT: Off
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital
DTS: DTS
48khz output
Audio DRC: Auto
Downmix: Normal

Are these the correct settings for my set-up?

Users who are viewing this thread