Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm bummed cuz it seems like a drought for good movies this holiday season....

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 DominoDeja

DominoDeja

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 09:42 AM

I mean okay Twilight was pretty good but I'm not looking forward to seeing Tom Cruise in an eye patch lol. Though I hear he did a great job in that film.

Why such the big drought of good movies this holiday season? Am I missing something? Is it because of the economy?

Anyone know of some great movies flying below the radar that I should check out?Posted Image

#2 of 7 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 10 2008 - 10:04 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of "good movies" and, in some cases, the size of the release of the oscar bait.

But in any case, here's a short list:

- The Day the Earth Stood Still
- Yes Man
- Bedtime Stories
- The Reader
- Revolutionary Road
- Milk
- Doubt
- Gran Torino
- Frost/Nixon
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Wrestler
- Seven Pounds
- Valkyrie
- The Spirit
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Defiance

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 7 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 10:15 AM

It's largely because of the writers strike from last winter.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#4 of 7 Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 11:01 AM

I saw this on a link through imdb. Damn financial concerns get in the way.

It seems that these films that would ordinarily go here are in fact in the can, but are being held into the new year so that these studios balance sheets look better when they have to report them to the stockholders. Long term they won't have any more or less cash then they would otherwise, but short term, they gotta keep those books in the black (if that's even possible now) up until year end.
- Mark Kalzer

#5 of 7 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,602 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 10 2008 - 02:46 PM

there's still lots of great stuff coming out, Punisher is in the theaters and we get The Spirit x-mas day... oh.... I see what you meen... Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#6 of 7 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 07:37 AM

We should have been getting Star Trek XI and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. But...Nooooooo!!! Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#7 of 7 Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 08:07 AM

yeah I think it all depends on what you're looking for. Personally I thought Synecdoche, NY was great and I have high hopes that The Wrestler and Curious Case of Benjamin Button will be among the best films of the year.

I'm not personally interested in Milk or Doubt but those are supposed to be very good as well.

I'll probably go see Yes Man and bedtime stories with my kids and those look relatively decent for the type of movie they are trying to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users