Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Blockbuster vs. Netflix

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 03:09 AM

I am currently subscribed to Blockbuster Online but for the past year, I've noticed that more of my Que is listed as "long wait or very long wait or unavailable". Titles like "Dr. Quinn", "Deep Space Nine" and "Dr. Who" are listed as "very long wait". Does Netflix have the same problem? I am thinking about switching over to Netflix if I can get these titles sooner.

#2 of 28 Buckethead78

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 07:27 PM

I just switched from Blockbuster to Netflix. A few of my movies are already on "short wait" which is a little disappointing. Although, to be fair, I usually got new releases with my disc trade at blockbuster.

The online delivery is great if you have something connected to your TV (xbox, some Blu players etc.)

#3 of 28 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for the reply Mike, I don't mind short waits but many of my dvds have been on "very long wait" for months and I'm getting tired of it.

#4 of 28 bpickell

bpickell

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 14 2008 - 09:43 AM

I just cancelled netflix due to extremely long waits on new releases.. It could take up to 6 months to receive a movie at times. And I understand the longer that you are a customer the worse it gets. They usually treat their new customers like gold and their long standing customers like crap.

#5 of 28 adamDivine

adamDivine

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 17 2008 - 07:12 AM

I don't agree. I have been a netflix customer since the beginning and I always get my movies in a timely fashion. With that being said, I only move up new releases every once in a while. Most of the time, by the time a movie makes it to the top of my que, it has been out for while. I know at least 5 friends who have Netflix and none of them have ever waited 2 weeks, let along 6 months for anything. The only thing Netflix has ever done is to reduce my monthly premium. They have great customer service, I couldn't recommend them more.

#6 of 28 Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 09:59 AM

I just drive to my local Hollywood video store. I like to look around at the titles and then make my dession on what to rent. Plus I can get almost any DVD (no Blu RayPosted Image ) in the store for only 15 bucks a month.Posted Image It's called MVP.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#7 of 28 Matt Fig

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 11:13 AM

I have been a member of Blockbuster online since it started and I have been very happy so far. We use the online service mostly for TV shows ( I can take my time watching) and trade in the mailers for movies at the store. That was the selling point for me. Here is what my subscription includes:
BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
$16.99 / month (plus taxes)
2 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings
Unlimited in-store movie exchanges
+1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

They have since changed the subscriptions. I can't afford to change now. I am also considering using netflix (the $9.99 monthly charge) so I can do the streaming on my 360. Is the netflix streaming worth it?

#8 of 28 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 12:36 PM

I have had BB ever since they got rid of their late fees. 3 at a time mail rental and 5 per month trade in. Mostly OK service. I have had to wait longer on new releases, but I do the in store trade in if I get tired of waiting.

I tried NetFlix streaming last week. It did not work well for me. I think my connection has not enough bandwidth. On line they say that they need 2,400Kps for DVD quality. My connection it 1,500Kps not including the other computers in the house using it. I ran it through the Xbox360 using component cables to my HD70 projector on a 110" screen. The picture was very blurry and I only had stereo for sound. I only watched 15 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. It would probably look fine on a computer screen. Their selection for streaming was small. I wanted to compare it with a movie that I was fimilar with so I looked for Star Wars III and I couldn't find it. So I am staying with BB for now.

#9 of 28 trimule

trimule

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 05:56 PM

Concerning the sound on downloaded Netflix movies - I recently read (sorry I can't remember the reference but it was someone competent reviewing the available systems and hardware) that the basic 2 channel stereo is the ONLY sound available on this download system and will be for the foreseeable future. He said if you had good download speed and wanted to spend the day in bed watching old movies on TV it was fine, but if you wanted to watch "Ironman" in your 7.1 front projector home theater - Forget It!

#10 of 28 Buckethead78

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 03:14 AM

I'm not too bothered by the video / audio of netflix online. I usually watch documentaries and older films anyway (Licensee to Drive anyone?). There was only 1 time I deemed the video to be unwatchable. The nice thing about the online is if I start watching something and it sucks, I just stop it and pick something else.

No going back to the store, or waiting for the next movie.

#11 of 28 Dick White

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 01:34 PM

I have been using Blockbuster for almost 3 years. My 3-at-a-time, unlimited in-store exchange was great. I could get a movie almost every day. But with 2 price increases and reducing in-store rentals to 5, I started to get fewer rentals for my money. It was still a great deal compared to Netflix because of the in-store exchanges and a policy of not "throttling" shipments vs Netflix' stated policy of giving preference to those who rent fewer movies.

About a year ago, I started noticing some slowdown in shipments despite the fact that shipments are now local. It has gradually gotten worse to the point that I am getting irritated with them. When I started, they were shipping a new DVD the same day they got one back. For the past two weeks, they have acknowledged getting DVDs back on Monday morning and not shipped the next one from my Q until Wednesday afternoon. I have had a couple of periods when they have received all 3 discs back and not yet shipped another one. So while they say they don't throttle, it seems that they have now begun to do that. And to make matters worse, it seems that they stock fewer copies because the percentage of titles in my Q that show as "available" has also reduced drastically. And when they say "Very Long Wait", they may as well say "Just Forget It". I've had those sit at the top of my Q for months.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this slowdown. If it gets any worse, I may have to give Netflix a try.

#12 of 28 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 01:15 AM

Well, I'm officially a Netflix convert! I'm on my 2 week free trial and loving it! Here's why I switched:

1. Price is a few bucks cheaper than BB. I'm doing the 3 at a time plan.
2. I love the free online watching thing. There are a lot of movies and tv shows to pick from. I liked the selection they have for kids. Now I won't have to worry about using my rentals for kids dvds.
3. The MAIN reason I switched: Almost half of my BB Que was "long wait", "very long wait" or "unavailable" and many of these have been like this for MONTHs! I got tired of waiting. I joined NF and only have 6 out of like 95 rentals that aren't available right now.

I'll lose BB's 5 free rentals a month but I had a hard time finding anything worth watching anyways. Can't wait for my first rentals to show up!

Also, BB has started doing something else. When I exchange my mail rentals for store rentals, thye don't send any mail rentals until I return my store rentals. This slows down the number I can rent per month, thus I end up paying more per rental.

#13 of 28 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 10:51 AM

Odd. I find BB to be cheaper, not more expensive, than NF. Of course, I don't bother w/ the in-store thing for BB, but I do like not paying extra for Blu-ray (and actually receive recent releases in a timely fashion to boot).

One problem w/ NF (at least in the past) is they put you on the fast track for your first month or two and then throttle you back, which becomes a big letdown. Maybe they don't do that as much nowadays...

_Man_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Well, I'm officially a Netflix convert! I'm on my 2 week free trial and loving it! Here's why I switched:

1. Price is a few bucks cheaper than BB. I'm doing the 3 at a time plan.
2. I love the free online watching thing. There are a lot of movies and tv shows to pick from. I liked the selection they have for kids. Now I won't have to worry about using my rentals for kids dvds.
3. The MAIN reason I switched: Almost half of my BB Que was "long wait", "very long wait" or "unavailable" and many of these have been like this for MONTHs! I got tired of waiting. I joined NF and only have 6 out of like 95 rentals that aren't available right now.

I'll lose BB's 5 free rentals a month but I had a hard time finding anything worth watching anyways. Can't wait for my first rentals to show up!

Also, BB has started doing something else. When I exchange my mail rentals for store rentals, thye don't send any mail rentals until I return my store rentals. This slows down the number I can rent per month, thus I end up paying more per rental.

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 28 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

#15 of 28 John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 03:04 PM

I started with Netflix, and as others have echoed, had great service for the first month or so. Then things did slow down, but not to unacceptable levels. The reason I finally switched to Blockbuster [a few months ago] was because Netflix seemed to have a problem delivering playable Blu Ray discs.

Since switching to BB, I've since received a few unplayable Blu Ray discs from them too, so not sure that can be pinned solely on Netflix, although the problem did seem more frequent with them. One such disc did play when I took it into the store, so some of this may very well be the fault of my Wal-Mart Blu Ray player too. The big problem I am seeing with BB is that their catalog of older [or foreign/obscure] releases does not even begin to compare with that of Netflix. For example, I currently have "Bob Roberts" and "The Contender" listed as "very long waits." Bob Roberts? This is a 1992 release, and it didn't exactly set the world on fire back then. I believe BB is selling off too much of their catalog titles. Netflix wisely discontinued this practice some time ago.

So I may end up returning to Netflix and just dropping the Blu Ray portion for now. I will definitely miss the BB in-store exchanges, but without a decent catalog, that quickly becomes a moot feature, and it is offered at a serious premium compared to a similar Netflix account.

John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#16 of 28 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, which is preferable really depends on the individual.

For myself, the primary reason I bothered to get back into renting was for Blu-ray since I can't afford to buy every BD that interests me, Posted Image Posted Image so that's why I went w/ BB. I do occasionally get a bad BD disc from BB, but probably not nearly as often as John though.

I must reiterate my opinion here that I think BDs are more prone to cracking than DVDs when placed under stress like w/ these flimsy mailers going thru our hardly handled-with-care postal system. I almost never received a cracked DVD that way (whether thru NF a long while back or thru BB now), but BDs are a completely different story. DVDs definitely do scratch more easily, but they also seem to remain more playable w/ scratches than BDs. I guess w/ so much more bits packed into the same space, any defects, however small, will more likely render a BD unplayable.

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#17 of 28 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted May 06 2009 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick White
My 3-at-a-time, unlimited in-store exchange was great. I could get a movie almost every day. But with 2 price increases and reducing in-store rentals to 5, I started to get fewer rentals for my money.
Exactly why I told them where they could cram it, and went to Netflix. They are a little slow getting new releases to me sometimes. I called them and told them if they didn't do better, I was gone from them too. I get them a little quicker now..........
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#18 of 28 John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 06 2009 - 01:31 PM

Man - What are some of your genre preferences? I'm willing to pay more for BB, but they're catalog appears very limited. Just curious as to what you're watching since I know you've been with them for awhile.

John

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#19 of 28 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dirk
Man - What are some of your genre preferences? I'm willing to pay more for BB, but they're catalog appears very limited. Just curious as to what you're watching since I know you've been with them for awhile.

John

I'm doing it mainly for Blu-ray releases from the past year -- particularly newer releases (and I rarely ever go to the theaters, so most day-and-date new releases will be new to me along w/ some old classics and many indie films). I don't stick w/ any particular genre, but since I do have kids (w/ their own preferences like Bedtime Stories, Twilight, Mamma Mia -- egads! Posted Image Posted Image) and also do still prefer to buy movies (and don't mind buying blind when I think I'll like the film enough), my rentals do often include mediocre films that I'm curious about but know I probably won't want to own, eg. The Spirit, Da Vinci Code (not bad at all), JCVD (which I just watched and is actually "fun" and interesting enough for me to consider buying cheaply at some point).

Since BD prices are still on the high side, I also rent various critically acclaimed films on BD as they come out (unless I feel fairly certain I'll want to own them). For instance, I see that Doubt is on its way to me now (and I have The Reader next on the queue). I'm also starting to go thru some Criterion releases to see which ones I may want to buy -- just received El Norte today for instance, and I see that The Third Man and Man Who Fell to Earth are both listed as available as well.

So yeah, my rentals are waaaay varied, but I tend to keep more recent releases at the top on my queue since I wouldn't have bought them (yet) for whatever reasons, eg. price, uncertainty whether I want to own, etc. So far, I seem to get recent releases pretty quickly -- definitely waaaay better than my DVD experience w/ NF back several years ago (or what many people seem to get w/ BD from NF now).

_Man_

#20 of 28 John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 09:50 AM

Man- Thanks for your reply. My situation is almost identical to yours. No kids, but I hardly ever go to commercial theaters and my tastes vary widely. I already own close to 500 DVD's and about 20 Blu Ray discs, but I got tired of buying the Blu Ray's only to find that some weren't all that great. Most of the Blu Rays I had in my BB queue were on short to long waits, but I spent some time with it the other night and found plenty of available discs I hadn't seen. So I think it can work if I do my part and keep the queue full of available titles.

John

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow