What's new

The Bride Of Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

Deco King

Grip
Real Name
Muir Peter Hewitt
I'm really hoping that at some point in the near future someone will release the ultimate remastered version of one of my all time favourite movies
The Bride Of Frankenstein. I know Universal owns the movie rights , but I really wish that they would allow Warner Bros or Criterion tio do the remastering as they always do a much finer job than Universal ever has!

James Whales' masterpiece deserves the finest restoration available , it is a marvellous stylish movie by one of Hollywood's greatest maverick film makers openly gay at a time that this wasn't acceptable, and a free spirit amongst Hollywood's more staid characters.

The Franz Waxman score deserves a digital makeover too to bring out the richness of the orchestration , and take out as much of the distortion of 1935sound recording.

I for one would love a new DVD or preferably Blu Ray with crisp picture and sound quality of this major movie landmark movie!

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
My wish is that Universal will revisit all of its classic horrors and issue them in one big boxed set, a la the recent Abbott and Costello set. The fact that the company revisited A&C after issuing the films on DVD in substandard form gives me some hope that this could happen.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Personally, I think Universal has done some superb work, and not absolutely everything turned out by Warner or Criterion - as good a job as they usually do - is pristine.

If there's a better job to be eked out of Bride's exisiting materials, I'm positive Universal are capable of it. Whether they actually will is another issue.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
While Universal has gotten pretty stingy these days with extras for their older catalog films, they are doing an excellent job with their transfers of black and white films. I mean seriously, much of their black and white product is looking fantastic these days, with just the right amount of grain to give it that film-like appearance.

Robert Harris himself has said that Universal's restoration department is nothing short of top notch.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I've always been disappointed that the Universal releases always seem to have that "slight grain" appearance. I much prefer the "smooth as glass" approach. I know this is considered blasphemy by many, as they insist to me that "Grain Is Good!" but I don't like it. They also claim that the details are removed if too much grain is removed, but I've never seen MORE detail than ever before with these smooth, grainless transfers of old b&w films from other studios.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

It's one of the best and most important films in their library. I really hope they do this movie justice on DVD(and Blu-ray) one of these days.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Applying too much DNR can remove detail so it's not like 'they' are making things up. I'm not saying that you have to hate grain but if you've seen an over-DNRed transfer that you thought was detailed, you'd have most likely seen even more detail if too much DNR hadn't been applied.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Universal is one of the best when it comes to leaving B&W titles "as-is" in terms of inherent grain and other built-in issues. Take a look at the W.C. Fields box sets for gorgeous film grain and B&W contrast.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'd rather take the grain and have the opportunity of removing it myself with any sort of generic DNR built into most sets than to have it a permanent fixture.

FWIW, Monsters in HD runs an immaculate HD transfer of this title.

Deco King

Grip
Real Name
Muir Peter Hewitt
I totally agree with the previous poster that the Bride Of Frankenstein is the greatest sequel EVER love the original Frankenstein as I do , he's quite right in my opinion to point this out!

Not only does it need a visual makeover , but in order to pass muster for the Blu Ray market it needs an audio remastering too , to get rid of the distortion in various sequences of the movie it needs a remastered audio makeover for the fabulous Franz Waxman score.

As a layman I don't understand what can and can't be acheived in audio terms . However I hope ,, if any of the original soundtrack master recordings can be located ( I hope that all is/was not lost when there was a terrible fire in the Universal Vaults a little while since? ) that a new master recording can be reassembled from the elements still around and that new clarity can be recreated!

The famous Creation Of The Bride music by Franz Waxman , I remember from reading the liner notes of the RCA recodings of Franz Waxman music , "inspired" ( read was plagirised ) for the famous Bali Hai song from a very famous later musical!!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
This "Bali Ha'i" story has been kicked around for years.

Richard Rodgers, the composer of "Bali Ha'i," might very well be the greatest composer of popular songs of all time. He wrote literally hundreds of great melodies. It is unlikely, in the extreme, that he needed to plagiarize anything.

But even if he did, is it believable that in 1949 he'd remember a theme from a movie from 1935? Is it even believable that "Bride of Frankenstein" would even mean anything to him? And even if he did decide to plagiarize it, wouldn't he change it a little, rather than using the same exact three notes?

It's a coincidence, and it's not unique in the history of music. After all, they only have so many notes to work with!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Personally, I think the version of Bride included in the Frankenstein Legacy Collection is a quantum leap over the original stand-alone disc. That said, I agree there is still room for further improvement and would welcome a remaster, and most especially, a Blu-ray version.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
"Audio restoration" usually means that someone has EQed the thing to death, which is what most studios do these days. It would be a novel approach to leave the optical track alone and encode it at a higher bitrate. Those optical tracks from the '30s really shine when played back correctly.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

No - I prefer the smooth look of similar vintage era films on DVD from other companies. Like Fox's DR. RENAULT'S SECRET, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks