Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digipak sleeves?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 08 2008 - 07:51 PM

I got a CD from Japan that was billed as a "mini-album," with a sort of digipak made to look like the original LP release and a disposable clear plastic sleeve. It was kind of like a CD-sized version of the clear plastic sleeves that LP collectors use to protect their record jackets.

Well, a lot of European discs are in the digipak format now, and so I would like to buy a pack of these sleeves. Does anyone know if they are available for sale? I don't even know what to call them for a search. "digipak sleeves" and "digipak jackets" tend to take me to professional CD mastering companies. I just would like to buy a pack of them like you'd buy jewel cases.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 04:16 AM

Try Bags Unlimited. They have a wide selection of plastic bags for CDs.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 09 2008 - 05:41 AM

Thanks, Tim! That looks exactly like what I need.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 01:42 PM

Glad to be of service. I've been buying from them for years, ever since I had a fire, and my whole collection got smoke and water damage. Posted Image Nothing like an inexpensive barrier to protect your investments. Call it "safe collecting." Posted Image
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 07:46 PM

There are many REPLICAS of CDs in LP sleeves coming from Japan. The outer bag has a porpose-to protect the sleeve-and keep the OBI intact-that band of paper around most Japanese CDs-and formerly LPs. The "U" shaped clear sleeves are a paint-but the material is MUCH softer than what we use-
thus they last longer-it also may take u p static
The Japanese turn up their nose a dgipak-Ive never seen one-'no class'
You are talking about the mostly US made cardboard case that opens ip to a a plastic holder-the record industries answer to DVD 'Snapper' case which most sane people despised

Myself, I dont really like 'digipaks' they have a 'cheap' feel, will eventually tear, get ring or buff wear- -used to be common to LPs, or the baby will pit up on it. And they are not easy to replace-and what will you do for a cover if you get a 'blank' digipak?

I make a digipak front & back template from my scanner onto cardstock or photo paper, make a front folding booklet either turn the thing upside down so the inside info prints rightside up.
Even Easier with a Digipack, becsaue they usually have booklets stuck in pockets-so I just slide them in the a jewel case-or if need be make the outer cover and staple the booklet inside. This is notbootlegging-it is making a new cover for a CD/DVD-plus it helps me bone up on my Mac Photoshop CS4 skills.
When the jewel case gets to too 'cloudy'-buffed- scratched or cracked-I just buy a new one- and viola! You have what looks like a new disc (if youve taken care of the inside booklet
Plus a good $150 printer
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 10 2008 - 07:28 PM

I'm actually talking about both. I got a true mini LP replica from Japan (Martin Denny's Latin Village) that I assume had the OBI, but it's been a number of years and I don't keep that sort of thing. I also got a couple of true digipaks from Japan (Jason Falkner's latest and his TV Eyes project) that had the OBIs. As you described, they open to a plastic disc holder with the other side being a thin piece of cardboard.

I have gotten many European discs in this format as well. I don't like them, either, but I'm not skilled enough to make a jewel case-friendly replica like you did. That's why I'm looking at those poly CD sleeves as a way to protect the digipak. I take care of my stuff and pretty much rip to my HD and don't touch the discs much afterwards anyway, so the poly bag ought to be okay for me.

Actually, many of the CD rippers upload all the artwork in printer-ready format. I don't like what they're doing, but I could use their artwork on albums I've legally purchased and do what you did. Also, iTunes sometimes includes a printable booklet with their albums. There's one that I recently bought on CD that has an exclusive iTunes booklet. I'm crazy enough to buy the album again just for that (actually, it'll be my third copy). Photo paper doesn't seem to replicate a true CD booklet, though. Is cardstock closer to what you'd get in a traditional jewel case?

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   townsend

townsend

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 04:25 AM

There are several sites on the net that have a variety of products. In addition to Bags Unlimited, you might also check out

CD, DVD and Audio Cases, Sleeves and Storage at Sleeve

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Blair G

Blair G

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 05:21 AM

You have to be careful with the size if you are using them for mini LP replicas.

I bought some recently that were just fine for single disc digipaks but they aren't quite big enough for most of my mini LP style discs (recent MoFi's, Dead Can Dance SACDs).
The flap doesn't reach the adhesive strip.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 13 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have a sleeve for my one mini LP (Martin Denny's Latin Village), so I am really looking for a similar thing for my digis. You're saying I need smaller bags in that event? On this page, I figure it's between the mini LP sleeve and the jewel case sleeve. I was leaning towards mini album.

CD storage, record bags, and polyethylene bags for all types of audio storage and shipping needs.

I'm guessing the bags you bought wouldn't be good for hardcover style cases like the Star Wars scores and Priest's Angel of Retribution?

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted December 15 2008 - 08:03 AM

I am currently using the below-linked plastic sleeve from bagsunlimited.com for my Hong Kong mini LPs....

Mini LP Sleeve from Bagsunlimited.com

These seems to fit the best....even on gatefold LP replicas.

Posted Image
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)