Center:CBM-340 SE
Rear:HTM-200 SE

I will be using these in a small room with a sub

Thanks

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I have a pair of Ascend 170s and I'm very pleased with them. I haven't heard any Axiom speakers before, but I've always read good things about them and considered buying them in the past. I went with Ascend because the speakers are designed to output a neutral sound. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. The only thing that might be an influence is the finish of the speaker. Those Ascend speakers only come in black, unless you special order a custom finish, which will cost extra. Axiom has various finish options with no need for custom ordering.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Axiom vs Ascend. Kinda like a celebrity death match?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I believe they both give you a 30 day demo (I know Axiom does). Try them both and you decide. I can tell you my Axioms are really great.

Thermo61

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am not crazy about bookshelf speakers unless space requirements absolute necessitate them. If you buy bookshelf speakers you will need stands. For the price of stands and bookshelf speakers you can get tower speakers. Tower speakers generally have a better bas response. So I guess I would lean toward Axiom towers.

Mike

Thermo61

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am not crazy about bookshelf speakers unless space requirements absolute necessitate them. If you buy bookshelf speakers you will need stands. For the price of stands and bookshelf speakers you can get tower speakers. Tower speakers generally have a better bas response. So I guess I would lean toward Axiom towers.

jakewash

Grip
Real Name
Jason L
I would have to agree, order them both and keep the ones you like, as many feel the differences between the two manufacturers are enough to warrant it. The Axioms are said to be more forward, vocals and highs leading the way.

I can comment on the Axioms as I have a few of their products, just not the M2s, or M3s. I have heard the M3s and M22s in an A/B comparison and the M3s are more laid back, while the M22s are more forward and as such, I felt much more detailed.

For a home theater, I would sugest you look at adding a very goos sub to either of the setups you have in mind. This can help alleviate any loss of the lower frequencies you would give up by going with bookshlef speakers; for that matter a good sub is a must for HT regardless of main speaker size.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Hey Jay, glad to see you here at HTF. This is a great place for home theater. Beats the heck out of that other place we hang out sometimes (and I don't mean the Axiom boards - they are terrific
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
). BTW - I'm dewd over there.

JBravo

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
i will definitely add a good sub to these setups. I was thinking about going with the SVS PB12-NSD

jakewash

Grip
Real Name
Jason L
I auditioned the PB12-nsd and I liked it alot, enough so to make me want to try the PB13 -Ultra, which I kept. You should really like the PB12 it has a very good kick to it for HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks