Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Axiom vs Ascend

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 JBravo

JBravo

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 06 2008 - 05:49 AM

Currently looking at Axiom and Ascend Acoustics
was wondering if anyone has any input/experience or has compared the following:

Axiom:
Front: M2's (maybe M3's)
Center: VP100
Rear: QS4

Ascend:
Front: CBM-170 SE
Center:CBM-340 SE
Rear:HTM-200 SE

I will be using these in a small room with a sub

Thanks

#2 of 12 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 06 2008 - 08:45 AM

I have a pair of Ascend 170s and I'm very pleased with them. I haven't heard any Axiom speakers before, but I've always read good things about them and considered buying them in the past. I went with Ascend because the speakers are designed to output a neutral sound. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. The only thing that might be an influence is the finish of the speaker. Those Ascend speakers only come in black, unless you special order a custom finish, which will cost extra. Axiom has various finish options with no need for custom ordering.

#3 of 12 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted December 06 2008 - 02:53 PM

Axiom vs Ascend. Kinda like a celebrity death match? Posted Image

I believe they both give you a 30 day demo (I know Axiom does). Try them both and you decide. I can tell you my Axioms are really great.

#4 of 12 Thermo61

Thermo61

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 07 2008 - 02:41 AM

I am not crazy about bookshelf speakers unless space requirements absolute necessitate them. If you buy bookshelf speakers you will need stands. For the price of stands and bookshelf speakers you can get tower speakers. Tower speakers generally have a better bas response. So I guess I would lean toward Axiom towers.

Mike

#5 of 12 Thermo61

Thermo61

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 07 2008 - 02:43 AM

I am not crazy about bookshelf speakers unless space requirements absolute necessitate them. If you buy bookshelf speakers you will need stands. For the price of stands and bookshelf speakers you can get tower speakers. Tower speakers generally have a better bas response. So I guess I would lean toward Axiom towers.

#6 of 12 jakewash

jakewash

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 07 2008 - 01:29 PM

I would have to agree, order them both and keep the ones you like, as many feel the differences between the two manufacturers are enough to warrant it. The Axioms are said to be more forward, vocals and highs leading the way.

I can comment on the Axioms as I have a few of their products, just not the M2s, or M3s. I have heard the M3s and M22s in an A/B comparison and the M3s are more laid back, while the M22s are more forward and as such, I felt much more detailed.

For a home theater, I would sugest you look at adding a very goos sub to either of the setups you have in mind. This can help alleviate any loss of the lower frequencies you would give up by going with bookshlef speakers; for that matter a good sub is a must for HT regardless of main speaker size.

#7 of 12 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 1,986 posts

Posted December 08 2008 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash
I would have to agree, order them both and keep the ones you like, as many feel the differences between the two manufacturers are enough to warrant it. The Axioms are said to be more forward, vocals and highs leading the way.

I can comment on the Axioms as I have a few of their products, just not the M2s, or M3s. I have heard the M3s and M22s in an A/B comparison and the M3s are more laid back, while the M22s are more forward and as such, I felt much more detailed.

For a home theater, I would sugest you look at adding a very goos sub to either of the setups you have in mind. This can help alleviate any loss of the lower frequencies you would give up by going with bookshlef speakers; for that matter a good sub is a must for HT regardless of main speaker size.

Hey Jay, glad to see you here at HTF. This is a great place for home theater. Beats the heck out of that other place we hang out sometimes (and I don't mean the Axiom boards - they are terrific Posted Image ). BTW - I'm dewd over there.

#8 of 12 JBravo

JBravo

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 08 2008 - 07:47 AM

i will definitely add a good sub to these setups. I was thinking about going with the SVS PB12-NSD

#9 of 12 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 1,986 posts

Posted December 09 2008 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBravo
i will definitely add a good sub to these setups. I was thinking about going with the SVS PB12-NSD

Can't go wrong with SVS subs. The PB12 should blow you away in a small room.

#10 of 12 jakewash

jakewash

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBravo
I auditioned the PB12-nsd and I liked it alot, enough so to make me want to try the PB13 -Ultra, which I kept. You should really like the PB12 it has a very good kick to it for HT.

#11 of 12 jakewash

jakewash

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Willow
Hey Jay, glad to see you here at HTF. This is a great place for home theater. Beats the heck out of that other place we hang out sometimes (and I don't mean the Axiom boards - they are terrific Posted Image ). BTW - I'm dewd over there.
Thanks for the welcome David.

#12 of 12 Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:08 AM

The Ascend 170SE is more in the M22 class.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow