Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official MILK Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 04 2008 - 10:10 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Milk". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Milk" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 05 2008 - 05:39 PM

I saw this tonight. If Penn isn't nominated for best actor, I'll be stunned.

I also thought Josh Brolin was terrific as Dan White - he should get a best supporting nomination (though one of the movie's flaws is, there could have been a bit more exposition of White's issues or why he was wound so tightly, other than the political losses he experienced as a first-time supervisor, which were depicted).

Also, given the amount of time the film spends on Prop 6 from the '78 election, I'm amazed they didn't release this (in CA at least) in time to help defeat Prop 8 last month.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 06 2008 - 05:11 AM

Let's keep the discussion of Proposition 8 out of this film's discussion. That topic is for another forum that invites such political and social discussion. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted December 17 2008 - 05:27 PM

It's a good movie. Standard biopic with little stylistic flourishes that don't add much to the film. Penn does disappear into his role, with the rest of the cast being a hit and miss. The ending is moving.

~T

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted December 26 2008 - 05:47 PM

I saw the film tonight and found it to be very moving and Penn's performance was amazing; as were the performances of all of the supporting male actors. I like how Gus Van Sant did not portray Milk as a saint; he instead came across as an ambitious guy, a manipulative politician and at times, quite a selfish man.

I need to see the Harvey Milk documentary, because I need to brush up on my history. I am curious about one obscure line in particular. The news footage of the time included in the film showed then-President Jimmy Carter campaigning against Prop 6 - therefore, why then in one of his last scenes was Sean Penn talking (behind a colleague's office door) about marching against President Carter and the White House?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M S
I need to see the Harvey Milk documentary, because I need to brush up on my history. I am curious about one obscure line in particular. The news footage of the time included in the film showed then-President Jimmy Carter campaigning against Prop 6 - therefore, why then in one of his last scenes was Sean Penn talking (behind a colleague's office door) about marching against President Carter and the White House?

Without knowing any historical background, I thought that brief discussion was just to show that Milk had greater ambitions to bring the movement to a national level. It was more about going to march in DC than marching against Carter.

The Times of Harvey Milk is fully available on IMDB.
The Times of Harvey Milk (1984)

I didn't love Elephant, but I thought the behind-the-back tracking shot with White that Van Sant used so prominently in that movie worked incredibly well here.