What's new

Let The Right One In (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I realize this film is in limited release, but I cannot believe there's no discussion about it at HTF! Has anyone seen "Let The Right One In" yet? If you haven't, RUN (or hop on a plane, bus, whatever) to the nearest theater that's screening it and prepare yourself for one of the most haunting, eerie, creepy, and touching spins on vampire lore that you've ever seen. It's playing at the Harkins Valley Art in Tempe, AZ and I was fortunate enough to catch it this afternoon. I was the ONLY person in the theater until just before showtime, when two women walked in and sat down. It was just the three if us.

It's been a long time since I've seen a film that got under my skin the way "Let The Right One In" did. I had my doubts for the first 20-30 minutes, but unbeknownst to me it had been secretly planting its hooks all along and then completely reeled me in for the duration. Time passed unnoticed. It is haunting, atmospheric, and disturbing, due in no small part to Kåre Hedebrant as Oskar and PARTICULARLY Lina Leandersson as Eli, the strange "girl" who moves into the apartment next door to him. She is absolutely a revelation in the role and manages to create a subtly layered character who is vulnerable, sweet, ferocious, dangerous, and disgusting. You feel revulsion at her acts of violence and animalistic tendencies, yet sympathy for her in the tenderness she's capable of, despite her nature. What a wonderful, wonderful film. One of the best I've seen in quite a while. HIGHLY recommended.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The previews for this one were one of the HDNet trailer shows - it looked really good. This may be a blind buy when it comes out on DVD...

The "at the movies" guys reviewed this on the same show as Twilight - "this is the movie for adults to see while the masses are seeing Twilight..." They both really liked it.

They also said that it is being adapted by the Cloverfield director into English...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
A recent issue of Rue Morgue magazine featured it on the cover and they LOVED it...it's in my "saved" section of my Netflix queue!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've heard about the remake and can't imagine that it will be anything but a disaster compared to Alfredson's original film. This is one of those movies that should simply be left alone. Everything that needs to be said about the story has already been said. Let The Right One In certainly isn't perfect, but it's perfect the way it is.

As for the trailer, be aware that it paints a fairly "actiony" picture compared to the actual pacing and narrative flavor of the film.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did. It's a shame that it's not getting a wider theatrical distribution, because IMO this is a film that benefits from being viewed on the big screen.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Good for Magnolia. I saw this film at Fantasia back in July, and it knocked me flat. It's a darn shame that, on its third week here in Boston, it's down to one show a day (two last week).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw this a couple of weeks ago in Austin, I loved it, and I agree, we don't need a version for non-readers.
One problem I see is the lousy title, I can never get it right. I was praising the movie to a friend just today and called it, "Choose the Right One."
Anyway, if you can remember what it's called, go see it!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Agreed. A well-mastered Blu-ray will be nice, but this film works best if you settle down in a darkened theater and surrender yourself to it. That's true of most films, but some truly require it, and this is one of them.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I watched the preview online a little while ago and it's in my Netflix queue. No place showing it around here, unfortunately.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It is without a doubt, and my opinion was re-enforced yesterday when I saw it for the second time (dragged a friend's wife along with me who had expressed some interest - she loved it). I picked up on some subtleties that I missed on my first viewing, which is always a treat. I just can't recommend this film highly enough. One of the best of 2008 as far as I'm concerned.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Please stop talking about how you have to see this in a theater. My options are either Madison WI or Chicago---about 60 miles one way to either place. Milwaukee sucks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I'd ask you to quit whining but then I realized you'd probably be driving on ice.
That really does suck. :frowning:
It's 85 miles one way to the art theater I usually visit in northwest Austin.
Still, I'm there every couple of weeks. I'll be there with a friend this Monday night.
You must learn to enjoy the journey and, for me, a big part of that was getting out of the midwest and later out of the northeast.
I love central Texas, very nice smooth roads, no salt, no ice, no chains, no studded tires, (I may be dating myself, do people still use chains and studded tires?).
I was out in a t-shirt today.

I think Milwaukee is pretty neat during your 6 weeks of summer, loved the art museum.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Road trip! A weekend in Chicago would give you the opportunity to see a GREAT film and afterwards some good blues and great beer. Not to mention the food. I know, easy for me to say!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I love Phoenix...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

GREAT IDEA!!! Unfortunately, once I got down there I would find a MILLION things to do and probably miss the movie! (I am a HUGE foodie and LOVE exploring the great restaurants in the Windy City!)

townsend

Agent
Real Name
Scott

Doug, your summary is "dead on" target . . . I couldn't agree more! I saw this about 5 weeks ago, and it is still playing at the local "art house" theater (Angelika Film Center in Dallas).

I'm not a fan of vampire movies per se, but when I read the review in the local paper (Dallas Morning News) and checked out ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (it got a 97% positive rating: 91 fresh reviews, only 3 rotten), I decided "why not?"

I didn't know what to expect, but I mesmerized by this movie . . . it is unpredictable and suspenseful. It is one of the best movies of the year, and yet everyone is streaming to AMC and Cinemark theaters to see recycled, cliched special-effects-at-expense-of-character-development movies!

The ending . . . that is to die for. Highly, highly recommended.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Speaking of the ending, don't you wish you knew how to translate Swedish Morse Code?

Mattias Stridsman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattias
I think Eli sends the message "puss" and Oscar replies with the same. It means "kiss". This particular word is often used in the sense of a innocent, cute or brief kiss.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Mattias,

It was one of those times when you didn't really need to know the "language" to understand what was going on, but still, nice to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks