-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

IPHONE: Travelling to US - prepaid SIM with data available?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hi all,

Will be in LAX December 23rd, and travelling to New York and Colorado until January 2nd.

Can I buy a local SIM to use, and also use the 3G network?
Cost, sources?

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 05 2008 - 03:19 PM

I know you can buy pay-as-you-go SIM cards in the U.S. (though not at virtually every convenience mart like the rest of the world). I'm less sure about 3G capability. AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint operate the only 3G networks I know of, and all are closed (contract subscribers only). AT&T, which operates the network U.S. iPhones run on, probably won't let you on with your iPhone. They do offer "GoPhones" which are cheap phones coupled with pay-as-you-go plans, using calling cards. I'm not sure whether international calling is included, either.

Verizon uses CDMA instead of GSM, so your phone wouldn't be compatible anyway. They do offer an "INpulse" pay-as-you-go plan, with international calling available. Sprint also uses CDMA, and as far as I can tell, offers no pay-as-you-go plan.

#3 of 7 Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 13 2008 - 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint operate the only 3G networks I know of, and all are closed (contract subscribers only). AT&T, which operates the network U.S. iPhones run on, probably won't let you on with your iPhone.

T-Mobile also has an extensive nationwide 3G network. They were late to the game, but are now there.

But yeah...like adam said, the iPhone in US is locked to AT&T right now and I seriously doubt they will let anyone on "temporarily" with any sim. And I know it won't work with their pay-as-you-go sims. Everything else is a 2 year contract with them. Especially with that "flagship" level phone.
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#4 of 7 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted December 13 2008 - 10:47 PM

My Iphone and many others are unlocked when purchased from Australia.

All I need is a SIM with data, even if just EDGE.
Recommendations?
Will be there for 12 days.

Thanks

#5 of 7 USA Prepaid

USA Prepaid

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 02:37 AM

worked very good – flatrates convinced – sim already activated – just insert and surf: USA Prepaid SIM an micro sim for ipad and iphone 4 and iphone4s also available. unfortunately my german hardware just allows 2 g speed edge, not the possible 3g. But it is suitable foe emails, skype voip talking, facebook, surfing the web and navigation by ipad or smartphone

#6 of 7 USA Prepaid

USA Prepaid

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 02:39 AM

worked very good – flatrates convinced – sim already activated – just insert and surf: USA Prepaid SIM an micro sim for ipad and iphone 4 and iphone4s also available. unfortunately my german hardware just allows 2 g speed edge, not the possible 3g. But it is suitable foe emails, skype voip talking, facebook, surfing the web and navigation by ipad or smartphone

#7 of 7 USA Prepaid

USA Prepaid

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 22 2011 - 02:53 AM