Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Narnina, Lion Witch.. which version on Blue Ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   rbirk

rbirk

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 11:49 AM

I am very confused by the Blue Ray release of Narnia - Lion Witch.. The theatrical release on DVD is 135min, the extended 150, but the Blue Ray is 143? So is this some in between cut?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,563 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 03 2008 - 12:05 PM

It's the theatrical cut.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   rbirk

rbirk

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 12:30 PM

So is the 143min thing on the back of the package a typo?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,563 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 04:44 AM

No, I think the 135 min. printing on the DVD was the typo.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,445 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 05:06 AM

Is there really a 150 min. cut, and is it available on blu?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,563 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 05:55 AM

The Extended Cut is on DVD only in a 4-disc set. It really isn't that worth while, and was obviously a studio cut intended to emulate the success of the LOTR extended cuts.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 09:45 AM

143 min -> 150 min to emulate the success of the LOTR extended cuts? They have to do a little better than that! Posted Image

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 11:02 AM

No shit. Especially since it was mostly extended walking scenes. Yay. Oh, and the set duplicated all the extras from the original 2-disc release. I say just get the Blu-Ray and forget the extended cut.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 11:45 AM

Has anyone with the extended edition DVD of Narnia listened to the commentary? How does it compare to the one on the standard DVD? It appears that both versions contain the same commentary, but I'm curious to know how it was made to fit the extended version of the film. Are there just silent gaps during the new footage? Was new material edited in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users