What's new

linksys router genius needed (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
1 - I have a Linksys WRT300N.

1.5 - It is in the corner of the room, on a high shelf, with only the cable company modem under it. No other serious electronics are within 10 feet of it.

2 - Its speed is constantly fluctuating between 54mbps and 24mbps.

3 - Have changed channels etc using the online admin page for the router. This has not worked to stabilize the speed. What is the secret to constant router speed with there is no obvious interference nearby?

4 - I would like to place a stereo receiver (AM/FM) with its attendant antenna and speaker wiring on the shelf below this router. Will this interfere with the speed performance?

Thanks for any help or input! :D

MC

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I don't have a Linksys, and I'm definitely no genius, but I can tell you what I did that helped in my situation. My router is located in a room that is in a corner of my house. I bought a corner antenna that helps direct the signal toward the main part of the house. It's been doing a good job for a couple of years now.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
If you haven't done so yet, make sure you're using the latest firmware version for your router. That's always the first thing I check when there are router issues.

-Christian

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Are you using a microwave or cordless phone nearby? Those can both cause interference.

I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and have never had fluctuations like that. I stay constantly connected at 54Mb/s. But even a huge swing wouldn't affect me since my broadband speed is only 1Mb/s and I don't run LAN games.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Micah - you might try downloading netstumbler and running it- that will show you access points around yours so that you can use a different channel. With a simple 11 channel router, your channels need to have 5 channels in between to maintain themselves interference free. Thus the most commonly used channels are 1, 6, and 11 since that allows 3 networks to converge.

Other things that may help are turning off mixed mode wireless support (mixed supports 802.11b, G, and possibly N) - just set it to the mode you are going to be using. This shouldn't cause any problems unless you have old laptops that need 802.11b.

Do you have a 2.4 Ghz phone system in your house?

As others have said, unless your internet connection is more than 24 Mbps, the lack of signal strength between you and the router shouldn't be an issue for anything coming or going to the internet.

sam5001

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
The other suggestions were on the money. Also you should simply try different locations if possible. In particular I've had good success by moving my routers up higher. I actually get my highest transfer rate with my router placed in my attic. If that is feasible for you it may be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks