Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Columbia: Let's have some of your cartoons!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,967 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 01:23 AM

Missing in action on DVD so far are the wonderful UPA cartoons, which were released over ten or so VHS tapes long ago. Without GERALD MCBOING BOING and THE TELLTALE HEART and A UNICORN IN THE GARDEN, etc. and the best of the Mr. Magoo series, our cartoon collections can never be complete. Now that Universal has finally given us titles from its shorts vault, how about ponying up and giving us yours...?

#2 of 37 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 02:35 AM

Gerald McBoing Boing, Gerald McBoing Boing on Planet Moo, Gerald McBoing Boing's Symphony, and How Now Boing Boing were released on one DVD by Columbia/Sony in 2006.

The Telltale Heart was hidden away as a special feature on Disc 1 of the 2 Disc Special Edition Hellboy DVD released in 2004, which isn't even mentioned on the box. As much as I hated that movie, I bought it for the chance to see that cartoon which I had only read about before.

#3 of 37 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,002 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 02:54 AM

I'd even like to see Columbia's Screen Gems cartoons, including the influential "Fox and the Crow" series.

#4 of 37 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 03:45 AM

The first Gerald McBoing Boing, How Now Boing Boing, Gerald McBoing Boing on Planet Moo (in anamorphic 2.35:1) and the Tell Tale Heart (in a crappy transfer from a tv print) are all available on the original single-disc Hellboy dvd.

The problem with Columbia's catalog is quite a bit of their early shorts are lost.

#5 of 37 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 03 2008 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
The first Gerald McBoing Boing, How Now Boing Boing, Gerald McBoing Boing on Planet Moo (in anamorphic 2.35:1) and the Tell Tale Heart (in a crappy transfer from a tv print) are all available on the original single-disc Hellboy dvd.....
There was never a single disc release of "Hellboy", but they did all appear on disc one of the two-disc theatrical cut DVD.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 37 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
There was never a single disc release of "Hellboy", but they did all appear on disc one of the two-disc theatrical cut DVD.

Regards,
The version they're selling now in the budget bin of most stores is just disc 1, presumably as a service to fellers who bought the 3-Disc directors cut since that set replicated the suplements on disc 2.

#7 of 37 ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 02:50 AM

There is also a Color Rhapsody, The Kangaroo Kid, as an extra on the DVD of Golden Boy, and a Mr Magoo, Terror Faces Magoo, on the Sam Katzman set.

But, really, big deal! Sony should be putting its short cartoons as extras on its classic releases as a matter of course, and putting out complete collections of all its cartoons as other studios have.

Nearly 10 years ago, Sony restored around 180 of its classic cartoons of the Thirties, Forties and Fifties, including all the Magoos, for a syndicated TV show called Totally Tooned In: http://www.cartoonre...om/tooned1.html Surely it would not be a big effort to release at least this selection to DVD.

I was hopeful that this might happen, since Mike Schlesinger of Sony is keen to release classics and, as the nephew of Warner animation producer Leon Schlesinger (according to a post on this forum), classic animation is in his blood.

#8 of 37 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPearson
But, really, big deal! Sony should be putting its short cartoons as extras on its classic releases as a matter of course, and putting out complete collections of all its cartoons as other studios have.

I imagine that their complete collection of Gerald McBoing Boing theatrical shorts that I mentioned was their way of dipping their toes in the water. Sales of that DVD collection probably helps them determine what to do with their other cartoons.

#9 of 37 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 04:22 AM

As a supplement on "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" there's an eye-poppingly beautiful transfer of the 1937 Color Rhapsody "Skeleton Frolic." Directed by Ub Iwerks, it's like a color remake of "The Skeleton Dance" that he made at Disney in 1928. It's the main reason I bought the disc.

#10 of 37 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 12:06 PM

I've heard rumor of a box set of UPA cartoons slated for next year... I hope this happens!!

I'd give anything for a complete collection of JOLLY FROLICS and the early Magoo theatricals; My #1 most-wanted on DVD!!!

#11 of 37 ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted December 05 2008 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeM
I imagine that their complete collection of Gerald McBoing Boing theatrical shorts that I mentioned was their way of dipping their toes in the water. Sales of that DVD collection probably helps them determine what to do with their other cartoons.

I assumed it was an attempt to cash in on the new McBoing Boing series that Classic Media produced. In any case, it was a rip-off product, with only four shorts at a list price of $15. Marco's news that a UPA set may be on the cards is very encouraging, however. Hope they don't forget the Thirties and Forties shorts.

#12 of 37 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 05 2008 - 04:28 AM

I'd buy up a proper multi disc collection in a heart beat. I grew up watching the classic Magoos that were released on VHS yonks ago in the 80's.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#13 of 37 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 06 2008 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPearson
Hope they don't forget the Thirties and Forties shorts.

UPA only existed as it's own theatrical studio in the Fifties. Prior to that, they produced a couple of comercial and industrical cartoons in the late-Forties but I'm sure the focus would be on the '50s/'60s short film output. I think it was Steve Boustow that leaked the info and mentioned he was working on production of a complete box set. I really hope it comes to fruition...

#14 of 37 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted December 06 2008 - 07:55 PM

"I think it was Steve Boustow that leaked the info and mentioned he was working on production of a complete box set"

Was that on Michael Barrier's site?

#15 of 37 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 06 2008 - 10:44 PM

To be honest, it was mentioned to me by a few others and since repeated on several blog posts but I never read the initial statement so I can't verify. I can vouch for the credibility of those who passed it on to me though. I don't doubt it's happening, my only concern is that so often these 'personal projects' end up getting buried by the studios. If it ever does see a proper release, hopefully in the next year, it will undoubtedly be among my most treasured collections!

#16 of 37 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted December 07 2008 - 04:20 AM

I'd actually look forward more to a set of the earlier Columbia cartoons, culled by some knowledgeable person from the better Color Rhapsodies, the Ub Iwerks items, Frank Tashlins, etc., but I don't see that as being in the cards.

#17 of 37 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 11:42 AM

A DVD set of Scrappy cartoons, Color Rhapsodies and Fox & Crow shorts would rule! I bet we'll never see that happen in our lifetime though. Why oh why doesn't The Criterion Collection care about classic Hollywood theatrical cartoons of the Golden Age?!

#18 of 37 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 10 2008 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
A DVD set of Scrappy cartoons, Color Rhapsodies and Fox & Crow shorts would rule! I bet we'll never see that happen in our lifetime though. Why oh why doesn't The Criterion Collection care about classic Hollywood theatrical cartoons of the Golden Age?!

It has to be a cost issue no? restoring each short cartoon must be expensive, much more then just doing a single film since you have to start at the beginning of the process for each short right?

Not that I really understand how all this works, could be magical elves for all I know... I just want to see these cartoons and under the Criterion banner, it would pretty much be the greatest set ever!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#19 of 37 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 512 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
It has to be a cost issue no? restoring each short cartoon must be expensive, much more then just doing a single film since you have to start at the beginning of the process for each short right?

Well, the ironic thing is that, according to Jerry Beck, the Columbia cartoons have been restored, but for the most part are just sitting in the vaults. Occasionally one shows up on a Columbia DVD, like the "Skeleton Dance" on the "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" disc I mentioned, and "The Kangaroo Kid" on "Golden Boy."

#20 of 37 ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted December 14 2008 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
UPA only existed as it's own theatrical studio in the Fifties. Prior to that, they produced a couple of comercial and industrical cartoons in the late-Forties but I'm sure the focus would be on the '50s/'60s short film output. I think it was Steve Boustow that leaked the info and mentioned he was working on production of a complete box set. I really hope it comes to fruition...

I know. I was referring to the 30s and 40s Columbia cartoons that preceded UPA, which I would also like to see on DVD. Posted Image

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow