Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Reactions to "The Met: Live in HD" in movie theaters?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 11:45 AM

2008-2009 Live in HD!

Anyone see any Metropolitan Opera productions at the local movie theaters? I have never attended any operas in person, and these tickets are substantially less expensive than attending the real thing. I am very interested in attending the rebroadcast of Berlioz's La Damnation de Faust tomorrow (Dec. 3rd).

How is the visual quality? Is the production shot with one camera, or is there also cutting between different looks? Does the broadcast include super/subtitles? Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 02:46 AM

Yes, you should go! The visual quality is very fine. The Met does use a multiple camera setup, so there's plenty of variety in how it is shot. And it is subtitled. Plus, this production of La Damnation de Faust is impressive in its own right. It was designed by a director who works with Cirque de Soleil, so that gives you a hint of what it's like. It also uses front and rear projection to create virtual scenery on stage, resulting in some awesome effects.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted December 04 2008 - 06:45 PM

Tim, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and I couldn't go see Faust (the 7 pm showing was a tad bit too early). I will try to see Thaïs on the Saturday before Christmas, and then come back with my impressions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users